• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Automatic Update check not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quitch

The original never got this right either, disappointing to see this is still the case. I'm running 2.9.18.545 while 2.9.18.550 is available. However, Game Jackal neither mentions this nor does it update. I am running it as a User on Vista Ultimate 32-bit.

What's worse is that when told to update it simply takes you to a download page where you need to download the full program and install all over again. Sorry, but why this massive step backwards in the update system???

These are valid concerns. Keep in mind though that no Slysoft program has ever downloaded updates automatically and installed them automatically either. They usually do alert you though when run initially if there's an update.

It did not pick up a new version available for me either the "550" V. with the updates turned on.

These are valid concerns. Keep in mind though that no Slysoft program has ever downloaded updates automatically and installed them automatically either. They usually do alert you though when run initially if there's an update.

Actually, this was (supposedly) fixed right near the end of GJs life... and GJ has always downloaded and installed, you just had to hit the "Check for updates" button.

Actually, this was (supposedly) fixed right near the end of GJs life... and GJ has always downloaded and installed, you just had to hit the "Check for updates" button.

Yes. And I'm saying Slysoft programs have never operated in that manner.

In my opinion, it would be nice to see Slysoft programs also do the same thing, but they never have.

I find it shocking that they're taking the product backwards.

I find it shocking that they're taking the product backwards.

Having to come to the website to download the upgrade isn't that big of a deal. Would you rather have to do that or not have Game Jackal at all which was the alternative before SlySoft picked it up..

But it's not an upgrade, it's a full install which can also upgrade... yes, it matters because what the app SHOULD be doing is checking, downloading and upgrading all in the background.

The way GJ used to do it is in a different league. I'd hit check, it'd check, download and install. Now I still have to hit check, but then follow up by downloading and installing again. I think you're confused about how GJ used to upgrade. The current method is simply a version check and web link, it's doing the least amount of work possible.

This was done to bring the product in line with the other SlySoft products.

Last edited:
I can't see why, IMO the rest of the product line should have been falling in line with the way that GJ (and most software updates) work, but oh well. A misguided decision.

But it's not an upgrade, it's a full install which can also upgrade... yes, it matters because what the app SHOULD be doing is checking, downloading and upgrading all in the background.

The way GJ used to do it is in a different league. I'd hit check, it'd check, download and install. Now I still have to hit check, but then follow up by downloading and installing again. I think you're confused about how GJ used to upgrade. The current method is simply a version check and web link, it's doing the least amount of work possible.

No I'm not confused about how it used to update... I just don't think it's a big deal... it's definitely not something worth whining about!

Of course it is, it's a product regression which you pay for the privilege of. Updating GJ, a product involved in a race against copy protection, is a vital part of the software's operation. It should be utterly painless and ideally invisible.

Of course it is, it's a product regression which you pay for the privilege of. Updating GJ, a product involved in a race against copy protection, is a vital part of the software's operation. It should be utterly painless and ideally invisible.

A part of the problem may be Vista related. I have seen several programs that will NOT update properly under Vista that will under XP. Hell, have you tried to install any plug-ins for Firefox under Vista? It won't work, you need to download and install while Firefox is closed for the plugins to be installed. If Firefox plugins have a problem, then I suspect MANY programs will have problems under Vista.

You seem to have missed my point entirely (read my first post)... The alternative to this was not having Game Jackal AT ALL... If SlySoft hadn't picked it up, it wouldn't have mattered how slick the update system was as there would be NO MORE UPDATES...

If you feel clicking on a download link and then double clicking on the resulting installer is a painful experience you obviously haven't had a really painful experience on your computer!

I understood your post perfectly, and it's a nonsense. A crap method is a crap method. The auto-update functionality was already in the product, so I'm hardly demanding a new feature, I'm asking for a feature WHICH WAS ALREADY THERE.

I'm hardly going to start singing praises... perhaps if I got it free, sure, but I didn't, and SlySoft have this product because they're a business and think it will make them money, which is fair enough. Likewise I'm a customer and if I'm unhappy I'm going to let them know.

I understood your post perfectly, and it's a nonsense. A crap method is a crap method. The auto-update functionality was already in the product, so I'm hardly demanding a new feature, I'm asking for a feature WHICH WAS ALREADY THERE.

I'm hardly going to start singing praises... perhaps if I got it free, sure, but I didn't, and SlySoft have this product because they're a business and think it will make them money, which is fair enough. Likewise I'm a customer and if I'm unhappy I'm going to let them know.

If it's Slysoft's business practice to do updates in this way then get used to it or GTFO :D

Lets just agree to disagree... :clap:

I totally agree. That style of updating was something I was already used to as a paying customer to Maplom. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled that Slysoft has kept GameJackal going ... Its just I wish that I still had the same quality of a product. I payed for SlySofts version of GameJackal, and I must say, as a longstanding user of the Maplom GameJackal I am disappointed that I didn't get the same product I am used to having at my disposal. If SlySoft wants to make their customers happy they will give us something we are used to using.

Make additions to the product, not subtractions.

Thank you for reading my post :)

Make additions to the product, not subtractions.

Thank you for reading my post :)

I guess keeping the software up to date to avoid blacklisting and allow play with newer games isn't considered an addition.

Download an update , install it! Just how hard is that. It's not, you are just being difficult. Just uninstall it and quit using it if you are so hard done by.
Geez:disagree::disagree::disagree:

Wow, I can't believe I'm still having to say this.

THE PRODUCT USED TO AUTO-UPDATE. THE CURRENT FUNCTIONALITY IS A REGRESSION. THEY HAD TO GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO MAKE IT WORSE THAN IT ALREADY WAS.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back