• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

App which Manually Crops Black Bars off DVD And Output as DVD?

Anthony1uk

Can someone possibly offer some suggestions of an app that will do this.

I have a bunch of NonAnamorphic DVDs. And I simply want to manually crop sections of the DVD and then lossless transcode and have it output as a DVD.

You would think it was easy to do but I cannot find a single app which does this.

All the apps which I find on google searches which promise it, you need to either convert it to AVI or Iphone formats.

I know virtualdub can do this, but it outputs as AVI only and the filters I do not feel comfortable that it is not compressing it.

I also know DVDrebuilder can do it. But I do not want to spend a good couple of hours re-encoding a DVD with encoding software just to do some simple cropping.

Plus DVDrebuilder does not (as far as I can see) let you manually choose what to crop out.

So is there any app which does this? Quick and painlessly. I will pay for it if its worth it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You can't crop the footage then not expect it to be re-encoded . If you crop the image then to put it back out as DVD format it has to be re-encoded as it has to be remade at a valid framesize for DVD playback. Also DVD is already highly compressed footage so by cropping and then putting it back on a DVD it will always lose quality as by cropping you are effectively removing some of the pixels and therefore what is left has to be stretched out to fill the space.
To remove the black bars and keep a valid frame size for DVD you have to zoom in on the picture which means to remove bars top and bottom you also have to remove the edges of the picture as well, if you don't then you end up with an image that is stretched so people look tall and thin

Last edited:
Give VideoReDo a trial run. Download the version 4 program you can edit mpeg files (and crop) then burn to dvd or leave as a video file on your hard drive. Note if you like it it's around $100

But it will still need to re-encode the footage when putting back out to DVD as DVD format if you crop the footage

Give VideoReDo a trial run. Download the version 4 program you can edit mpeg files (and crop) then burn to dvd or leave as a video file on your hard drive. Note if you like it it's around $100

Fantastic suggestion. This looks like it will do exactly what I am after.

I also already have the TVsuite for my use with my Hauppauge HD PVR for recording from SkyHD.

Back