• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

No Sounds in Vista

ock913

I goggled and searched this forum first for an answer but found none. I am not getting any sounds from CloneDVD running in Windows Vista Home Premium. Even if I go to preferences and hit the play button, they dont play. If I go to the folder and play them in Windows Media Player they will work, but not in the program. Any ideas??

Clonedvd isn't playback software. Consequently, you won't hear any sound.

OK, I guess I should have explained it better. I am not getting the success, error, or wait sounds generated by CloneDVD that indicate an error or succesful completion of a disc. The wored in my XP system but not in my new Vista system.

OK, I guess I should have explained it better. I am not getting the success, error, or wait sounds generated by CloneDVD that indicate an error or succesful completion of a disc. The wored in my XP system but not in my new Vista system.

Then that's an issue with your operating system, your soundcard, or something unrelated to Clonedvd. Those sounds are .wav sounds, so ensure your system volume is turned up for .wav files.

Then that's an issue with your operating system, your soundcard, or something unrelated to Clonedvd. Those sounds are .wav sounds, so ensure your system volume is turned up for .wav files.

All Windows Vista sounds work properly. Therefore the OS and the sound card are functioning. I can navigate to the CloneDVD folder in Program Files, go to the sounds folder and play the wavs in windows media player. The only problem I am having is that they are NOT playing in CloneDVD. Even from the preferences screen were you can change them to something else or test them. In fact, if I change them to one of the Windows sounds, it works, it will not work with the default sounds provided with CloneDVD.

Well, I've never heard of this issue before, but I'm not using Vista either.
Seems to me if it were happening to all Vista users, I would have read complaints by now.

Perhaps others will comment.

Last edited:
They work fine for me. CloneDVD 2.9.0.9, Vista Ultimate x86.

Does the program itself work? You didn't say whether you could actually make a back-up. Other Vista users have had to give CloneDVD the permissions to work and access the drives. Is there some permission that needs to be given for the sound to work?

Does the program itself work? You didn't say whether you could actually make a back-up. Other Vista users have had to give CloneDVD the permissions to work and access the drives.
Please elaborate, when was what permission given and why....
Thank you!

Please elaborate, when was what permission given and why....
Thank you!

I think he's referring to User Account Control, but I can't imagine that Vista is so restrictive that it asks permission before playing .wav files.

Bleeping UAC. NO ONE should be using that g@dd@mn thing. Sorry, but, that thing is really starting to irritate me lately. SO MANY freaking problems are caused by it. And since the sound files are in the Program Files directory, it's all too possible that UAC is blocking access to the files...especially if they're running CloneDVD in a "standard" account. BLECK!

And since the sound files are in the Program Files directory, it's all too possible that UAC is blocking access to the files

No kidding???? :( :(

Around July 22nd, I'm going to need to build a new system, and the thought of using Vista (for DirectX 10 compatibility for games) is starting to really annoy me (well, more than usual).

I'll probably end up disabling UAC and using a half-decent firewall program.

Last edited:
No kidding?!! :( :(

Around July 22nd, I'm going to need to build a new system, and the thought of using Vista (for DirectX 10 compatibility for games) is starting to annoy me.

No, I'm not kidding. If UAC is turned on, it's POSSIBLE that the wav files are restricted if they're using a standard account.

Vista is great...it really is. I actually like it. HOWEVER, you must make sure there are drivers that WORK for your hardware and turn that STUPID UAC off. It's a false sense of security and doesn't do ANYTHING to secure your machine.

Does the program itself work? You didn't say whether you could actually make a back-up. Other Vista users have had to give CloneDVD the permissions to work and access the drives. Is there some permission that needs to be given for the sound to work?

Yes, the program itself is working fine. Here is another bit of info to add.... I built this new system using an ASUS P5B Premium-Vista Edition motherboard. The onboard audio is HD audio. I dont know anything about the inner workings, but if someone does, could that be an issue? I installed Quicken last night and the same thing is happening there. I dont get audio from within the Quicken program, although I can manually play the quicken wav files from media player. So I know it isnt CloneDVD now, but there is obviously a setting somewhere that is preventing my sounds.

Yes, the program itself is working fine. Here is another bit of info to add.... I built this new system using an ASUS P5B Premium-Vista Edition motherboard. The onboard audio is HD audio. I dont know anything about the inner workings, but if someone does, could that be an issue? I installed Quicken last night and the same thing is happening there. I dont get audio from within the Quicken program, although I can manually play the quicken wav files from media player. So I know it isnt CloneDVD now, but there is obviously a setting somewhere that is preventing my sounds.

To see if it's the onboard audio or Vista, try doing what SamuriHL suggested and turning off UAC in Vista and see if the sound works.

I ask again, is UAC turned on for that machine? I did a quick google search for the type of problem you're having and it has been suggested that UAC can be the cause of it, as I suspected last night. Truly, if it's on, turn it off and see if that helps.

I ask again, is UAC turned on for that machine? Truly, if it's on, turn it off and see if that helps.

I disabled UAC, restarted computer, the problem persists. Another item of mention, using CloneDVD preferences, if I change the sound to one of the standard sounds included with Vista, those dont play either.

I disabled UAC, restarted computer, the problem persists. Another item of mention, using CloneDVD preferences, if I change the sound to one of the standard sounds included with Vista, those dont play either.

As mentioned prior this is a driver issue on your PC to be more specific a the sound driver. I have vista 64 bit running , note I didn't change the default sounds but it does work on my machine. Let me add I am using Vista Ultimate on top of that.

Fascinating. I think I have to agree that this is probably a driver issue of some kind. Yes, I'm aware that you can play sounds through the media player, but, something is definitely not right with your install. I don't have expertise in this area, unfortunately.

Back