• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Retaining layer break

Jalabar

I've read a post by Webslinger explaning his personal procedure for burning double layer disc's.
Also the post says that CloneDVD2 cannot keep the original layer break position like CloneCD can.

My question to Webslinger , or to anyone else, is if CloneDVD2 "DID" have the ability to keep the "original layer break position" when burning a double layer disc. Would you use it then instead of CloneCD? Or are there other things in CloneCD still making it more applicable for burning double layer discs.
Thank you

Jalabar

My question to Webslinger , or to anyone else, is if CloneDVD2 "DID" have the ability to keep the "original layer break position" when burning a double layer disc. Would you use it then instead of CloneCD?

Yes, I would, since Clonecd can't edit anything out.

I have found a way using PcgEdit to restore the layer break to it's original position after ripping the DVD files to hd. If anyone is interested I can post the hastily written instructions.

I have found a way using PcgEdit to restore the layer break to it's original position after ripping the DVD files to hd. If anyone is interested I can post the hastily written instructions.

Yeah, I sometimes do that, but I'm pretty lazy.

Go ahead. I'm sure Jalabar and others would be interested. :agree:

Finding the Original Layer Break

1. Put the original DVD in your drive.
2. Make sure AnyDVD is running.
3. Start PgcEdit.
4. Select "File, Open DVD".
5. Browse to the DVD in your drive.
6. Highlight the DVD Titile, press OK.
7. Let PgcEdit proccess the DVD. If PgcEdit finds errors it will ask you if you want to fix them. Press No to skip this. Also abort and close "Find BOVs".
8. On the left side of the window scroll down until you see the video titleset with the longest time. This is the movie.
9. Double click the titleset. PGC Editor wil come up.
10. Scroll down looking at the "Seamless Joint" column until you see a box that is not checked. That is the original layer break.
11. Make a note of the Cell ID from the "Cell" column.
12. Exit PCG Editor.

Restoring the Original Layer Break

1. Rip DVD Files to the hard drive with CloneDVD2.
2. Start PcgEdit.
3. Select "File, Open DVD".
4. Browse to the folder that has the ripped DVD files.
5. Highlight the DVD folder, press OK.
6. Let PgcEdit proccess the DVD files. If PgcEdit finds errors it will ask you if you want to fix them. Press No to skip this. Also abort and close "Find BOVs".
7. On the left side of the window scroll down until you see the video titleset as you did earlier.
8. Double click the titleset. PGC Editor wil come up.
9. Looking in the "Cell" column, scroll down until you find the Cell ID you noted in step 11 above.
10. You will see that this time there is a check mark in the "Seamless Joint" column. That is because the layer break was removed. Uncheck that mark. This Puts the layer break back in.
11. Press OK to exit the PGC Editor.
12. Select "File, Save DVD" to save your change.
13. Burn the DVD with CloneDVD2 using "Write Existing Data".

PgcEdit can be downloaded from here: http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/

3. Start PgcEdit.
7. Let PgcEdit proccess the DVD. If PgcEdit finds errors it will ask you if you want to fix them. Press No to skip this. Also abort and close "Find BOVs".
8. On the left side of the window scroll down until you see the video titleset with the longest time. This is the movie.
10. Scroll down looking at the "Seamless Joint" column until you see a box that is not checked. That is the original layer break.
12. Exit PCG Editor.

2. Start PcgEdit.
6. Let PgcEdit proccess the DVD files. If PgcEdit finds errors it will ask you if you want to fix them. Press No to skip this. Also abort and close "Find BOVs".
7. On the left side of the window scroll down until you see the video titleset as you did earlier.
9. Looking in the "Cell" column, scroll down until you find the Cell ID you noted in step 11 above.
10. You will see that this time there is a check mark in the "Seamless Joint" column. That is because the layer break was removed. Uncheck that mark. This Puts the layer break back in.

PgcEdit can be downloaded from here: http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/

Sounds good, but what guarantees you that the physical sector location of the non seamless branch cell will be really the sector of the layer break?
I believe you just changed the position of the non seamless branch, not the physical position of the layer break.
If this method has "worked" for you, you can simply use CloneDVD and forget about the layer break. :D

3. Start PgcEdit.
12. Exit PCG Editor.

2. Start PcgEdit.

That seems like alot of time wasted. I'd rather use clonecd and Git-R-Done.

does it really matter whether the layer break position is in the same place on the copy as the original dvd or not?(if using clonedvd2 i mean).
i dont think it makes the slightest difference on the copy.

does it really matter whether the layer break position is in the same place on the copy as the original dvd or not?(if using clonedvd2 i mean).

IMHO it doesn't. And looking at gaak's instructions gives me the feeling that I am right.

That seems like alot of time wasted. I'd rather use clonecd and Git-R-Done.

Just as an additional note - when you use CloneCD to maintain the original layer break position, you must use DVD+R DL media. With DVD-R DL media the layer break position will be lost.

Oh well. When i played back the DVD I thought it worked. Does anyone know how to do it?

Last edited:

For some no, for some yes. I can't remember which title now, but I didn't really notice the layer break on the original. But on the back-up using CloneDVD it came at a noticable spot. When I made another using CloneCD, I didn't notice it. Since you don't really know when and where and whether it will or it won't, and +R DL's are 6 times the cost of SL, I'll just use CloneCD for them.

Sounds good, but what guarantees you that the physical sector location of the non seamless branch cell will be really the sector of the layer break?
I believe you just changed the position of the non seamless branch, not the physical position of the layer break.
If this method has "worked" for you, you can simply use CloneDVD and forget about the layer break. :D

To guarantee it how about using ImgBurn (or PcgEdit's Burn DVD) since it gives you a choice as to where to put the break. Just use the Chapter and Cell that you unchecked.

Last edited:
To guarantee it how about using ImgBurn (or PcgEdit's Burn DVD) since it gives you a choice as to where to put the break. Just use the Chapter and Cell that you unchecked.

Still sounds like a whole lot of added steps versus just using CloneCD.

Still sounds like a whole lot of added steps versus just using CloneCD.

Maybe, but it's worth it for some people. Especially if you like to edit out unwanted extras like previews or warnings. Or want to have the layer break where the director put it. Anyway, for what it's worth here are the revised steps:

3 Start PgcEdit.
11. Make a note of the chapter and Cell ID from the "Chap" and "Cell" columns.
12. Exit PCG Editor.

2. Burn the DVD files with ImgBurn "build" (or PgcEdit "Burn DVD") selecting the chapter and cell that you made a note of.

ImgBurn can be downloaded from here: http://www.imgburn.com/

Last edited:
Back