• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Why does it disable Optical drives?

MaadEmperor

Why does this program have to disable my optical drives when a game is in use? I only get a few hours to game every so often and I am frequently using my drives for other things simultaneously...to have this app disable my drives almost defeats the purpose of not needing to put in a CD, since I cant use the drives when its in use anyway....is this a copyright issue or some kind of glitch?

I believe this situation has to do with GameJackal emulating the copy protection on the original discs. I'm pretty sure Gamejackal is designed that way on purpose; it's not a glitch.

Yes, GameJackal was created so that you can preserve your original discs, not to free up your drive. ;)

good to know. maybe I'll look back at this at a later date. thanks for the replys...but if that is the case I can just make ISOs and be done with it...the nifty manager and automation was what drew me.

good to know. maybe I'll look back at this at a later date. thanks for the replys...but if that is the case I can just make ISOs and be done with it...the nifty manager and automation was what drew me.

The ISOs tend to be larger (much larger sometimes) than Game Jackal profiles as well.

The ISOs tend to be larger (much larger sometimes) than Game Jackal profiles as well.

yes and not easy enough to create sometimes...but they are free...this is good food for thought though. I might play around with it and see how I deal...

If you’re swapping between Game and applications frequently and need the use of you optical drives without having to quit your game in progress, you can always deactivate the running profile and close game jackal.
In 99% of cases the GJ profile only needs to be run to start the game anyway.

In fact, it would be a useful addition to Game jackal if there were an option to disable a running profile after a user adjustable period of time. It seems pointless to have Game Jackal running in the background after a game has launched eating up resources anyway.

p.s. to the devs, If you take on board my suggestion I would be willing to accept a free GJ license in return :D

Regards Marzz.

If you’re swapping between Game and applications frequently and need the use of you optical drives without having to quit your game in progress, you can always deactivate the running profile and close game jackal.
In 99% of cases the GJ profile only needs to be run to start the game anyway.

In fact, it would be a useful addition to Game jackal if there were an option to disable a running profile after a user adjustable period of time. It seems pointless to have Game Jackal running in the background after a game has launched eating up resources anyway.

p.s. to the devs, If you take on board my suggestion I would be willing to accept a free GJ license in return :D

Regards Marzz.

Some games check at random times to see if the cd is still in the drive, so I'm not sure if this is a viable option.

Some games check at random times to see if the cd is still in the drive, so I'm not sure if this is a viable option.

That may be true of Tages and Starforce, but Game Jackal doesn't support those protections anyway. I'm talking about the protection used in 99% of games which seems to be mainly Safedisk and Securom. Yes you would be stuffed if you had to create a full image in GJ for the game to work, but in those circumstances your better of imaging your CD/DVD yourself (Alcohol 120%) and mounting that, or finding another way around it ;)

I still think that an option to disable a running profile after a specified period of time would be a worthwhile addition to GJ. I have in the past suffered performance issues while GJ is grinding away behind your running game. Stuttering video and sound being one of them.

Anyroad up....... MaadEmperor was after a solution to his dilemma. I offered him one, viable or not.

Marzz

That may be true of Tages and Starforce, but Game Jackal doesn't support those protections anyway. I'm talking about the protection used in 99% of games which seems to be mainly Safedisk and Securom. Yes you would be stuffed if you had to create a full image in GJ for the game to work, but in those circumstances your better of imaging your CD/DVD yourself (Alcohol 120%) and mounting that, or finding another way around it ;)

I still think that an option to disable a running profile after a specified period of time would be a worthwhile addition to GJ. I have in the past suffered performance issues while GJ is grinding away behind your running game. Stuttering video and sound being one of them.

Anyroad up....... MaadEmperor was after a solution to his dilemma. I offered him one, viable or not.

Marzz

This is not true... all the BF series of games can check the protection when loading up a new map (and these are Safedisc games). However, your idea is not a bad one... might look at writing a little plug-in to do the job.

You could, but some games won't run if they detect a virtual drive. My friend had problems with running C&C 3 because he has Daemon Tools even though the original game disc was in a physical drive.

The protections could start blocking Game Jackal too, but I have a feeling it wouldn't take long for SlySoft to get around that problem if it were to happen.

The protections could start blocking Game Jackal too, but I have a feeling it wouldn't take long for SlySoft to get around that problem if it were to happen.

This was a big kick to the teeth of the production companies wasn't it? They shut down Maplom, a small company, and Slysoft, one of the best known companies for DVD Duplication, takes over. A company that has overcome every type of Copy Protection thrown at them while other rival software became obsolete. And now they will be doing the same with Game Jackal. This is a war that the production companies started, but just made worse for themselves. :agree: :p

Back