• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Problems with The Messengers DVD from Sony

toddfl1

Just a heads up on this one when you back it up you will think everything worked just fine until you watch it. I used anydvd and clonedvd the first time around and I always back up the whole disc previews,menus etc. It turned out very grainy/pixelated. So I thought maybe it was bad media. Until I veiwed the files on my hard drive they were the same way. So I put the original disc back in to take a look and the picture was perfect. So I tried anydvd and nero recode no good. Then I tried anydvd and dvdshrink and it came out perfect. I am sure Sony is just trying something new to screw things up.

Then I tried anydvd and dvdshrink and it came out perfect. I am sure Sony is just trying something new to screw things up.

You could be right, but I find that doubtful since the dvd worked with shrink. This film isn't due out until June 5, 2007 in North America.

If you could do step 8, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
I can confirm this, the previews play fine, however the movie fbi warnings, and main movie itself are pixelated to hell, very grainy. Not sure how sony is doing it but its kinda genius. anyways gonna try dvdfab see if that works better.

I can confirm this, the previews play fine, however the movie fbi warnings, and main movie itself are pixelated to hell, very grainy. Not sure how sony is doing it but its kinda genius. anyways gonna try dvdfab see if that works better.

If the backup works in dvdshrink, then I sincerely doubt this issue has anything to do with protection. Shrink doesn't handle messed up disc structures very well. Clonedvd does. But Shrink does offer better picture quality than Clonedvd especially if the compression level required is very high. Consequently, this issue may have something to do with the transcoder quality (or bitrate controller) in Clonedvd.

1. Would someone please do step 8?

2. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to do this as well. Thank you

Last edited:
The Messengers..?

...I'm watching my back-up right now & it is perfect. Used (latest versions) AnyDvd + CloneDVD on a Verbatim +R media. Selected main title, DVD-5, burned @ 16X.....BTW, the first part of this movie is in black & white & somewhat grainy, for a purpose! Skip thru several chapters to the "present day" time and picture is color/normal........

...I'm watching my back-up right now & it is perfect. Used (latest versions) AnyDvd + CloneDVD on a Verbatim +R media. Selected main title, DVD-5, burned @ 16X.....BTW, the first part of this movie is in black & white & somewhat grainy, for a purpose! Skip thru several chapters to the "present day" time and picture is color/normal........

The problem might exist with a full disc backup only.

make that 2. and dvdfab does the samething. im trying just the main movie now. ill let you know if it works.

i had same problem webslinger with full disc back up so used shrink and turned out nice

The problem might exist with a full disc backup only.

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.1.6.0)
LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S HS0E 2006/07/11 21:45
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2015392 sectors (3936 MBytes)
Total size: 3925316 sectors (7666 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: THE_MESSENGERS
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
Found & removed wrong DVD structure!
Structural copy protection not found.
Changed firstplay: Jump directly to TitleMenu!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

1. Could someone do this as well please.

2. Can someone post a screenshot of the original disc's directory/files--and your backup disc's directory files (especially showing file size). Please indicate what program you used for a full disc backup that didn't work.

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.1.6.0)
LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S HS0E 2006/07/11 21:45

Media is a DVD.

Media is CSS protected!

Changed firstplay: Jump directly to TitleMenu!

Thank you very much

this is what i got

Summary for drive F: (AnyDVD 6.1.5.9)
HL-DT-ST DVD-RW_GSA-H11N JH02 130110068C008CA5C4

Media is a DVD.

Media is CSS protected!

2. Can someone please post a screenshot of the original disc's directory/files--and your backup disc's directory files (especially showing file size). Please indicate what program you used for a full disc backup that didn't work.

Basically I want to see if the backup's disc size is close to 4.7 GB or if it's some insanely small size like 2 or 3 gigs. This would indicate that something is messing with Clonedvd's bitrate controller (possibly ads or previews).

To see what I'm wondering . . . I'm wondering if this is a similar issue to the Queen Region 2. Click here please!

Can someone check to see if this is a similar problem? If it is, the issue has nothing to do with Anydvd; the problem would have everything to do with Clonedvd or whatever transcoding program you're using.

Last edited:
would it be anydvd though cause did not work with clonedvd latest but worked with shrink and any dvd

I used CloneDVD2 with AnyDVD running in the background with Verbatim's DVD-R, 16X and the movie came out fine. Mine wasn't HD, maybe that's the difference?

I used CloneDVD2 with AnyDVD running in the background with Verbatim's DVD-R, 16X and the movie came out fine. Mine wasn't HD, maybe that's the difference?

I suspect the problem is related to full disc backups (previews, ads, menus, everything included) only.

2. Can someone please post a screenshot of the original disc's directory/files--and your backup disc's directory files (especially showing file size). Please indicate what program you used for a full disc backup that didn't work.

Basically I want to see if the backup's disc size is close to 4.7 GB or if it's some insanely small size like 2 or 3 gigs. This would indicate that something is messing with Clonedvd's bitrate controller (possibly ads or previews).

To see what I'm wondering . . . I'm wondering if this is a similar issue to the Queen Region 2. Click here please!

Can someone check to see if this is a similar problem? If it is, the issue has nothing to do with Anydvd; the problem would have everything to do with Clonedvd or whatever transcoding program you're using.

Last edited:
It might be just the full back-ups of this flick because mine worked, but I took out all previews and some of the special features.

Clone

What happens with the clonedvd, it shrinks it to 3.9 gigs not 4.5 like usual, this is why it pixelated. shrink goes to 4.6 gigs

What happens with the clonedvd, it shrinks it to 3.9 gigs not 4.5 like usual, this is why it pixelated. shrink goes to 4.6 gigs

Thank you. This is a Clonedvd issue then--similar to The Queen Region 2. I'll move this thread to the Clonedvd forum.

Back