• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Protection ID a Virus?

Crusher

Using Web's advice i went to download Protection ID from the website link provided. When I chose to download the latest version i was given a 108kb .rar file which contained the virus W32/ICRbot.worm . Just a heads up to anyone else wanting to download it and perhaps Web can provide some insight into why i just downloaded a virus... :mad:

OK, yes, sorry, I tried again with McAfee disabled and was able to successfully extract it. Don't know why McAfee didn't like it. As soon as the download had completed I had alerts everywhere! Very strange, but it was indeed a false positive. Thanks for the speedy reply Web! :clap:

P.S. I did download from the site listed above and in your other threads.

Last edited:
OK, yes, sorry, I tried again with McAfee disabled and was able to successfully extract it. Don't know why McAfee didn't like it. As soon as the download had completed I had alerts everywhere! Very strange, but it was indeed a false positive. Thanks for the speedy reply Web! :clap:

That's odd, because I have McAfee on my laptop (not my choice . . . it came bundled), and McAfee doesn't complain.

I know, It came pre-installed on my PC too, but for some reason it didn't like it :confused:

Well, anyway, I'm not getting any viruses from that download no matter what I use to scan with it at the moment, and my virus definitions are all up to date.

Last edited:
All in all this was a very strange experience. As soon as the download had completed i was told it contained a trojan. Even after deleting it I recieved this message. Later, McAfee changed it's mind and said it was W32/IRCbot.worm in a non existant System 32 file. Just to be safe, I ran the BitDefender Online Scan and it found nothing, but McAfee was still nagging me. After a while it eventually shut up about the so called *virus* and things went back to normal. As you said Web, there is no virus in that file but McAfee doesn't agree with you. All I can say about this is that McAfee is crap. (Although everyone knows this, this experience proves it ;) )

The person named "cdkiller" over here seems to be the author.

"@CDKiller:
My BitDefender Internet Security v10 (with newest updates) finds since today "Backdoor.Pcclient.GV" in your PID 5.2c EXE-File (fresh downloaded).
I don't believe it's true, but what can be the reason for the false-alarm?"--GLH

"could be the packer. i used NSPack to compress the exe."--cdkiller

"Since the last update of the virus-signatures BD10 don't find a virus in your PID EXE-File anymore."--GLH

So, it seems that other programs were giving false positives until virus definitions were updated. /shrug

Back