• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

"free zone" crc error

juandela

using anydvd and clonedvd (with great success until now).

no matter what i do i get "data error: cyclic redundancy check". it's clean, and the error occurs right around 1% converted.

i even went back and tried dvdshrink and decriptor (still with anydvd running) and i get the same error.

Last edited:
1. Do step 8 from here, so we can see what you're using

2. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is bad and needs to be exchanged--even if it plays fine.

sorry, i obviously didn't read the "read this first"

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.1.6.0)
LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S KS09 2005/06/14 21:34
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 2157459 sectors (4213 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: FreeZone
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
Found & removed wrong DVD structure!
Structural copy protection not found.
Found & removed Autorun from Video DVD!
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

the nero prog found 5 bad sectors and although 99.8% is good, .2% is bad. is there a way to work around it?

the nero prog found 5 bad sectors and although 99.8% is good, .2% is bad. is there a way to work around it?

If the disc is bad, it's bad. There's not much you can do. You can try cleaning it, but you said it's clean.

Are you experiencing issues with all retail discs--or just this one?

If you want to, you can do this, but the evidence you presented here strongly indicates you're using a faulty disc.

just this one.

i've been having playback issues after burn i just read a thread explaining that my taiwan-made maxell discs may be most of the problem.

just this one.

i've been having playback issues after burn i just read a thread explaining that my taiwan-made maxell discs may be most of the problem.

Yes.

Use Taiyo Yuden Premium, Verbatims, Maxell Plus, or Maxell Broadcast Quality

don't suppose you have a place to get good deals on the brands you mentioned.

newegg?

i don't see taiyo yuden premium. will any of the taiyo's suffice?

this one is really quite inexpensive. will it work?

i don't see taiyo yuden premium. will any of the taiyo's suffice?

this one is really quite inexpensive. will it work?

You can get Ty's from here. They have some good deals from time to time. Even their regular $28-$32 per 100, is still very good for the quality.

You can also get the Verbatim +R DL from them also. They are here. These are the best DL media.

You can get Ty's from here. They have some good deals from time to time. Even their regular $28-$32 per 100, is still very good for the quality.

You can also get the Verbatim +R DL from them also. They are here. These are the best DL media.

That's a good deal, plus you get free shipping (bonus).:clap:

using anydvd and clonedvd (with great success until now).

no matter what i do i get "data error: cyclic redundancy check". it's clean, and the error occurs right around 1% converted.

i even went back and tried dvdshrink and decriptor (still with anydvd running) and i get the same error.

Please use AnyDVD 6.1.6.2 beta, it will fix your problem.

The new beta can read past CRC errors?

Read the change log to see what the beta can do:

6.1.6.2 2007 06 14
- New (DVD): Added support for a new copy protection to the option to remove
"Protection based on unreadable Sectors", e.g. "Free Zone", R1, US

and the title of this thread is:

"free zone" crc error

Does anybody know what protection this is. Arccos? Is this protection very different from arccos? Is it a sony disc?

Does anybody know what protection this is. Arccos? Is this protection very different from arccos? Is it a sony disc?

Don't know the "name" of the protection. But "names" are often incorrect anyway. What I thought being Protect-DVD may be called X-Protect. Maybe it is nor the "real" Protect-DVD? Until today, nobody knows what the real name for "Puppetlock" is...

Call it what you like, it is one of the many "CRC Error" protections.

Some observations:
1.) I don't think it is Arccos, although it works similar.
2.) I don't think it is based on RipGuard or PuppetLock
3.) It is not a Sony Disc (as per amazon.com)
4.) The rental version of "Der Freie Wille" (German) had a similar protection (wasn't a Sony disc, either)

Back