• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Stop Online Piracy Act & "Protect IP" laws

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just signed the petition as well and told other members of family as well. Sorry for being late but at least I wasn't too late. Posted via Facebook, Google+ and emailed everyone as well.

It's ok, as long as you're trying to help out letting people know about this dumb potential law.

Spread the word to others, and thanks again.

It's do-or-die time: The House Judiciary Committee will likely pass the Stop Online Piracy Act THIS Thursday. Once the bill moves out of committee, the House can pass it at any time.

BUT, if we're able to kill it at this stage it'll probably never recover.

That's why we need your help this week: We want to make sure people understand what the Internet could be like if SOPA passes, so we're asking millions of people to protest censorship as part of our #Censorship Everywhere campaign

The most important thing this week is that EVERYONE join the protests in some way. If all of us drive our audiences to make phonecalls, we're unstoppable. We need to jam Congress's inboxes and melt their phone lines if we're going to stop SOPA.

Our goals for the week are one call per congressmember per minute -- and one million emails.

SOPA threatens the livelihood of the best parts of the Internet, and the best companies that use the Internet. More than 70 representatives from leading tech firms -- like Tumblr, Foursquare, Etsy, Kickstarter and Reddit -- and advocacy groups from across the political spectrum participated in a meeting to coordinate action against SOPA.

It was an inspirational meeting, and we're all going all-in to kill this legislation. We need to do everything we can to stop it in committee -- and everything we do this week sends a strong message to lawmakers: voters do not want this bill.

Please be part of the effort: Call or email your member of the House of Reps right away. We need to flood them with contacts well before the vote this week.

Join us and be a hero for Internet freedom and free speech. We need you,

- David, Holmes, Tiffiniy, and the rest of the team

PS: This is it. Please help drive as much traffic as possible to Congress this week, before Thursday's vote. Use these buttons to enlist your friends to fight censorship -- you'll be creating 'censored' posts and tweets:

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: How can the U.S. Government pass this law for foreign websites and actually use it? Last I saw the U.S. Government didn't control the world. Looks like there is a recess till 1 eastern time now.

And it's NO at this point

At this moment the amendment did NOT pass.
It seems the biggest negative point is the inability to enforce the bill if the "evil" site is not in the continental United States.
The Justice Department can't handle what that they have now.

Thanks Frank, Another thing I don't understand is why not work with the other countries on this to be able to put a stop to torrent sites? I mean they mentioned YouTube a few times but it goes further if the TV is on while taping your kid dancing for instance it is a violation. I mean come on the focus isn't the tunes or the TV in the background it is the kid.

If and that is a big if this law passes what's next? Are they going to spy on you in the shower singing while cleaning? Yes I know it sound ridiculous but.....

That is just the beginning

You're on-target with your view of this. Typical American over-kill and we'll count bodies later. They just don't learn from past attempts at this.
If this eventually passes then the courts will quickly sink under the weight of lawsuits and some people will be in for a BIG surprise when it comes to content on facebook, twitter, etc.... Wait until the black trenchcoats start showing up at 3AM.

You're on-target with your view of this. Typical American over-kill and we'll count bodies later. They just don't learn from past attempts at this.
If this eventually passes then the courts will quickly sink under the weight of lawsuits and some people will be in for a BIG surprise when it comes to content on facebook, twitter, etc.... Wait until the black trenchcoats start showing up at 3AM.

In my view it is more evidence of creeping expansionism of government control over the population...And that population is mainly clueless....Until it's too late.....A bill is being sent to the president's desk that will subject US citizens to indefinite detention by the military if needed, usurping a citizen's constitutional rights, and he intends to sign it....This is more than the MPAA and RIAA wanting to stop piracy, it extends government control just that much further, scary times indeed.....

I did not mean to turn the discussion into a political one, but it is political because of the current debate.....people need to wake up!!!:mad:

Last edited:
I don't think you'll find much "debate" here.
Most of us are quite "aware" of the issues at hand and the threats they bring.

-W

Actually this bill after dissection will do the opposite they want it to. It will protect Hollywood and such mainly/only in the end. Watch. It might not have the far reach it was wanting but it will happen.

Well they were all worried about it being Friday and having to cancel their flights so they adjourned until when I don't know for now. They did remove debate for one amendment so it isn't happening.

Actually this bill after dissection will do the opposite they want it to. It will protect Hollywood and such mainly/only in the end. Watch. It might not have the far reach it was wanting but it will happen.

Well, let's see if the bill makes it to the House floor, and where it goes from there.....

That's what we really need to worry about as the Repubs tend to lean to help those that really don't need it aka the wealthy.

Most of this crap passes with bi-partisan support. Both parties here in the US are bought and paid for - largely by the medical/pharmacutical and energy companies. With several more at a close second place.

-W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back