• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Hello again, Webslinger

I am ripping in my old old old, Sony U12a burner. It is slow as hell, but reading just fine.

The new drive, and I mean I just got it today, continues to encounter that COPY PROTECTION ERROR - THE READ FAILED BECAUSE THE SECTOR IS ENCRYPTED error. What could be different between the too? Both set to DMA, but have same filter config. If the newer drive reads just fine, and burned a DVD backup I had waiting on my harddrive...why can't it make it through an encode of an "encrypted" movie? Yes, I have tried multiple discs, old, new, different studios, etc.

Theories? Don't think it's a bad drive. It reads fine. It writes.

PS. What does "safe mode" do anyway?
Thanks!
Ryan

PPS. This new drive is the SLAVE to the other internal's MASTER jumper setting. If it reads and writes fine with that jumper setting, how could that matter.

PS. What does "safe mode" do anyway?

Right click the setting in Anydvd and read the description (faster than me typing it out).

This new drive is the SLAVE to the other internal's MASTER jumper setting. If it reads and writes fine with that jumper setting, how could that matter.

Some burners really don't function well, in general, when set to slave. It would be worth testing it set to master.

Also, you should ensure you're using an 80 wire cable. That's very important.

ide8040pin.jpg
(from Mike's Hardware site)

I would also try using another cable just to ensure that's not the issue.

Also, did you try step 3 from here?

Have you tried running ccleaner yet?

Last edited:
Forgot about the little pop up help thing that tells you details, like what SAFE MODE is.

The 80 wire cable you keep mentioning, how is that different from the cable that is already in my CPU? The one that connected the previous internal drives together, where they worked flawlessly. Slow (due to age) but without fail.

Why would a cable issue give me the COPY PROTECTION ERROR - THE READ FAILED BECAUSE THE SECTOR IS ENCRYPTED prompt. The drive reads fine, and it writes fine, as I burned a movie I ripped to the harddrive. If cabling was an issue wouldn't it have failed at that? The cable I am using right now in the CPU is what is allowing the older Sony U12A to be encoding right now as I type this.

1. Is the problem specific to this retail disc only? Have you tried other retail movies? I HAVE TRIED ALMOST 15 DIFFERENT RETAIL DISCS FROM SEVERAL DIFFERENT STUDIOS. SAME PROBLEM.

2. If the problem is specific to this retail disc, try testing for read errors. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is bad and needs to be exchanged--even if it plays fine.

Thanks again!

Oh, yes, "Anydvd is running in the background while you're using Clonedvd, right? Is it red, in colour, on your taskbar?" Yes. Yes it is.

The 80 wire cable you keep mentioning, how is that different from the cable that is already in my CPU?

Is the one in your computer a 40 wire cable or an 80 wire cable? If it's a 40 wire cable, that's probably your problem.

Furthermore, an 80 wire cable is required in order for your burner to work properly; it's a requirement.

read http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html
and
http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/howto_connect_ide_hd.html

The one that connected the previous internal drives together, where they worked flawlessly. Slow (due to age) but without fail.

That doesn't matter. If you use a 40 wire cable when an 80 wire cable is required you're just asking for problems. Trust me. It's very late at night where I am. You're asking for my help. Why not presume I might know what I'm talking about? I built my system. I built my girlfriend's system. I built my friends' systems. I've installed literally hundreds of burners.

Why would a cable issue give me the COPY PROTECTION ERROR - THE READ FAILED BECAUSE THE SECTOR IS ENCRYPTED prompt. The drive reads fine, and it writes fine, as I burned a movie I ripped to the harddrive. If cabling was an issue wouldn't it have failed at that?

No.

Someone else on this board bought a new burner. He accidently used an old 40 wire cable. He then switched to an 80 wire cable and his problems vanished.

Why fight me every step of the way? Why not check? You might already be using a 80 wire cable.

Have you tried running ccleaner yet?

Last edited:
If you want to read my other theories, here they are:

You had a pretty cluttered up lower and upperfilter stack. I don't know how you removed those entries, but if the software that originally installed them is still on your system, then that might cause problems, especially in the case of whatever installed Cdr4_xp.sys

"If you use a 40 wire cable when an 80 wire cable is required you're just asking for problems. Trust me. It's very late at night where I am. You're asking for my help. Why not presume I might know what I'm talking about? I built my system. I built my girlfriend's system. I built my friends' systems. I've installed literally hundreds of burners."

I do presume you know what you are talking about. I am not arguing about it, I am just asking why that (in this case a cabling issue) could be why it will read and write, but not do the other task, encoding the encrypted file. I don't understand it from the technical standpoint, that's all.

"Someone else on this board bought a new burner. He accidently used an old 40 wire cable. He then switched to an 80 wire cable and his problems vanished.

Why fight me every step of the way? Why not check? You might already be using a 80 wire cable."

I am not. It is a 80 wire for the two interal HDDs, but a 40 wire for the internal CD/DVD drives, which for the original drives may have sufficed for their date read/write rates.

Yes.

Have you tried running ccleaner yet?[/QUOTE]

Use this product too, based on your previous suggestion.

which for the original drives may have sufficed for their date read/write rates

Yes, but chances are not for an 18x burner . . .

from http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

# Requirement: The 80-conductor cable was first defined with the original Ultra DMA modes 0, 1 and 2, covering transfer speeds up to 33.3 MB/s. The cable is considered "optional" for those modes. However, for any Ultra DMA modes above mode 2, the 80-conductor cable is mandatory.
# Detection: Since the cable is mandatory for high-speed modes, the system has to have some way of knowing it is installed. This is done by having the /PDIAG:/CBLID signal, carried on pin #34 of the interface, grounded in the connector that attaches to the motherboard. Since the older 40-conductor cable would not have this pin grounded, by looking for the grounding on this pin at startup the host can determine if the 80-conductor cable is installed.

1. Use 80 wire cable (they are cheap)
2. Install new burner as master. Attach the 80 wire cable properly. Set the jumper appropriately to master.
3. Webslinger goes to bed now, and hopes what he said helps; and if it doesn't he has no idea, except he thinks possibly left over software is causing issues (some software uninstallers do a very bad job).

*sigh*

Maybe linx05 has some other ideas. Maybe some others will have some ideas . . .

Last edited:
Thank you and have a good evening! I will try the 80 wire/suggestion, with the newer burner as the master, the older the slave. It will be Sunday sometime...Fort Worth doesn't really have a place to buy something like that at this hour, darnit!

Thank you and have a good evening! I will try the 80 wire/suggestion, with the newer burner as the master, the older the slave. It will be Sunday sometime...Fort Worth doesn't really have a place to buy something like that at this hour, darnit!

I'd be very much surprised if your 18x burner didn't support up to udma 4. If I'm correct that would require an 80 wire cable. If you go to a computer chain store, they may overcharge you for the cable.

Good morning! I will get an 80wire today if possible, and try that. I burned a lightscribe last night, a regular music cd, and a movie I backed up. Just cannot get it to rip an encrypted dvd. Very frustrating.

Maybe your friend you mentioned has other thoughts too.

Thanks.
FW

Most burners require it to be on the Master connector whether configured as Master/Slave or CS. My Plextor, in the setup instructions, specifically mention it. It will read fine as it would be functioning as a DVD-ROM which can be on either connector. I would change that while checking on the IDE cable. Most new drives come with an 80 wire IDE cable.

"Most burners require it to be on the Master connector whether configured as Master/Slave or CS. My Plextor, in the setup instructions, specifically mention it. It will read fine as it would be functioning as a DVD-ROM which can be on either connector. I would change that while checking on the IDE cable. Most new drives come with an 80 wire IDE cable."

This burner did not specify that it had to be MASTER. IF one has two burners internally, one would have to be the slave, right? This drive did not come with any cables, it is an HP. My experience is that drives don't come with a cable, it's a way for you to have to buy it on your own.

More help, if you have any would be appreciated!

Thanks

My experience is that drives don't come with a cable, it's a way for you to have to buy it on your own.

Not to side-track the thread but it depends on the manufacturer. Plextor always includes a cable. Nonetheless, if the requirements mention a specific type of cable then that's the cable to use. :)

This burner did not specify that it had to be MASTER.

Most should, even if it's not specified. Some will work fine slaved; some won't. As yours isn't working properly, changing it to master and testing seems wise.

IF one has two burners internally, one would have to be the slave, right?

No. It depends on the number of ide channels available on the motherboard.

This drive did not come with any cables, it is an HP.

The brand name doesn't necessarily matter. Most newer retail box burners will come with an 80 wire cable now. OEM drives (that are sold with just the drive and not the box) will not come with screws, cables, etc.

Again, use an 80 wire cable and set your burner to master to see if that resolves your issue.

fortworth said:
If I understand my computer, I have two IDE channels. One is for the internal HDDS, one for the internal cd/dvd burners. Does that sound possible?

One would be a HDD/ATA channel, and the other would be a . . . . Nevermind, yeah, that's possible. But it's also possible for some motherbaords to have a HDD channel in addition to two ide channels.

forthworth said:
So, I wouldn't have both internal ODDs set to master, would I? If both on the same channel? One would have to be set to slave, right?

That is correct. I would slave your slower drive.

fortworth said:
I wish my retail drive came with a cable, but it did not. HP dvd9401 Super Multi DVD Writer.

The difference that matters is usually a box (and the company). box product = retail (chance of getting a cable bundled with the burner). no box = oem (usually slim to no chance of getting a cable bundled with the burner)

Last edited by a moderator:
*sigh*

I accidently edited your post and responded to it. Sorry. It's been awhile since I've done something that stupid.
I use to do that to James' posts by accident, so don't take it personally, please.

Last edited:
Still waiting on the 80wire. But as of right now I have swapped the drives, so that the new drive is jumpered to Master, the older one to slave. Like before, the new drive will:

1. read data
2. write data (DVDs ripped previously and stored on hard drive, as well as other data)
3. burns lightscribe disc image without problem

It still gives me that damn encrypted sector message.

Crapola!

Webslinger. Why might this help?

I have tried two more retail discs, coincidentally both harry potter films.
when I do this, have nothing open, launch anydvd, launch clonedvd2, it won't work.

when i do this, have nothing open, launch clonedvd2, THEN launch anydvd...clonedvd2 WILL work.

In the past, this is not what I have done. I always allowed anydvd to be a TSR in my system tray on system reboots, so it was "running" and doing its driver thing...then launch clonedvd2, and i was off...

thanks!

Summary for drive F: (AnyDVD 6.1.6.0)
HP DVD WRITER 940D 3H23 2006/09/02
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1882784 sectors (3677 MBytes)
Total size: 3738117 sectors (7301 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: HARRY_POTTER_GOBLET_OF_FIRE
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Back