• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

FREE "BD Region Killer"

A

A Friend

Hello,

SuperGoof has found out how to reset the Blu-Ray-Region counter of PowerDVD Ultra:
In XP, one must change 2 registry values, in Vista, delete a data-storing file.

XP:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{631400EE-60DF-4014-8A01-67106E57BDA8}]@=dword:00000002

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{9CB23675-4229-4630-AFF6-3668BA6AF33E}]@=dword:00000004

Under the first location it stores the region (1 - Region A, 2 - Region B, 4 - Region C).The number of remaining changes is stored under the second location. Every time you change region in PowerDVD, this number is decremented by 1. You can just put there something like FFFF (65535 changes) or better 1869F (99999 changes) and forget about it. By default, there are no values in both locations. PowerDVD interprets this as Region A and 5 remaining changes. When you change region for the first time, it puts values there.

In Vista, region information is stored in Alternate Data Stream (ADS) attached to the file "CLDShowX.ini" located in "C:\ProgramData\CyberLink\PowerDVD\". You can view the content of that stream using, for example, "ADSLocator.exe" utility. If you run out of the number of remaining changes, just delete that file. Next time you start PowerDVD, it will be recreated with default settings.

"WinDVD Platinum" seems to store its Region information in a file, too:

"To begin, you can download a program called 'Process Monitor' from www.sysinternals.com (the link will actually lead you to Microsoft's web site as Microsoft bought Sysinternals recently), then run the program and monitor what the process 'WinDVD.exe' does when you change Blu-ray region setting. It took me about half an hour to figure out what PowerDVD does. Some time ago I started looking at WinDVD too (the VAIO version you provided), and even found what file it accesses, but that file (some small file in system32 folder, do not remember its exact name no) turned out to be locked by System process, so I could not see what is inside, could not copy it, delete etc. I could only see its content when I logged in to another OS (Vista), but I did not continue experiments partly because I did not have time and partly because I do not really see much sense in using WinDVD due to its restrictions."

With this information (and when "WinDVD"'s counter is cracked), one could write a FREE BD-Region-Killer program. SuperGoof doesn't want to, because he thinks instructions for resetting are enough and "AnyDVD-HD" eliminates BD-Region problems. But I think there are some good reasons for a "BD-Region Killer":

1. It is very inconvenient to have to change registry values / delete files maually every time.
2. "AnyDVD-HD" costs nearly $80. If you just want to WATCH--not to copy--BDs, this is very much money when you can have a free program (remember "DVD Region Killer").
3. "WinDVD" is said to to be able to detect "AnyDVD" and to refuse to play when it is active, so it seems better to manipulate its counter directly.

Therefore, I would like to suggest you all to develop and upload a free "BD Region Killer."

Thank you and many greetings, :)

A Friend

3. "WinDVD" is said to to be able to detect "AnyDVD" and to refuse to play when it is active, so it seems better to manipulate its counter directly.

1) WinDVD doesn't detect AnyDVD, it simply does not play unencrypted BDs. That's what would make it seem to not run because of AnyDVD - because AnyDVD removes encryption.

2) you cannot remove BD region coding without decrypting. That's why there is no simple tool available, that would remove region coding like there used to for DVDs.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. It is very inconvenient to have to change registry values / delete files maually every time.
Buy AnyDVD then.

2. "AnyDVD-HD" costs nearly $80. If you just want to WATCH--not to copy--BDs, this is very much money when you can have a free program (remember "DVD Region Killer").
AnyDVD HD's primary purpose is to *watch* HD DVDs and BDs, not to copy them. Otherwise we would have developed a program working similar like DVD Decrypter. Would have been much, much less work.

Hello,

2) you cannot REMOVE BD region coding without decrypting. That's why there is no simple tool available, that would remove region coding like there used to for DVDs.[/QUOTE]

If it is true what SuperGoof says that BD Regions are checked ONLY by the player software, NOT by the hardware or Windows, it is for watching BDs NOT NECESSARY TO REMOVE the Region coding; one must only ensure that the player is set to the correct Region. A simple tool that changes registry values or deletes the Region-information-storing file to manipulate the Region information and the counter should be able to do this.

Many greetings, :)

A Friend

If it is true what SuperGoof says that BD Regions are checked ONLY by the player software, NOT by the hardware or Windows, it is for watching BDs NOT NECESSARY TO REMOVE the Region coding; one must only ensure that the player is set to the correct Region. A simple tool that changes registry values or deletes the Region-information-storing file to manipulate the Region information and the counter should be able to do this.

Sure, as long as you're using a software player for which you know the "hack", you can do that.
The method PDVD is storing the region info is likely to change in the future.

If you want to watch backups of your movies on your standalone, you're lost.

AnyDVD HD does it in all cases - always and easy. So why bother with "hacking" a specific player?

2) you cannot remove BD region coding without decrypting. That's why there is no simple tool available, that would remove region coding like there used to for DVDs.
Since the introduction of RPC2 drives several years ago, you cannot remove the region code on CSS protected DVDs without decrypting.
That's why the original elby "DVD Region Killer" became useless and evolved into "AnyDVD".

Where can I find ADSLocator.exe utility??

Hello,

SuperGoof has found out how to reset the Blu-Ray-Region counter of PowerDVD Ultra:
In XP, one must change 2 registry values, in Vista, delete a data-storing file.

XP:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{631400EE-60DF-4014-8A01-67106E57BDA8}]@=dword:00000002

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{9CB23675-4229-4630-AFF6-3668BA6AF33E}]@=dword:00000004

Under the first location it stores the region (1 - Region A, 2 - Region B, 4 - Region C).The number of remaining changes is stored under the second location. Every time you change region in PowerDVD, this number is decremented by 1. You can just put there something like FFFF (65535 changes) or better 1869F (99999 changes) and forget about it. By default, there are no values in both locations. PowerDVD interprets this as Region A and 5 remaining changes. When you change region for the first time, it puts values there.

In Vista, region information is stored in Alternate Data Stream (ADS) attached to the file "CLDShowX.ini" located in "C:\ProgramData\CyberLink\PowerDVD\". You can view the content of that stream using, for example, "ADSLocator.exe" utility. If you run out of the number of remaining changes, just delete that file. Next time you start PowerDVD, it will be recreated with default settings.

"WinDVD Platinum" seems to store its Region information in a file, too:

"To begin, you can download a program called 'Process Monitor' from www.sysinternals.com (the link will actually lead you to Microsoft's web site as Microsoft bought Sysinternals recently), then run the program and monitor what the process 'WinDVD.exe' does when you change Blu-ray region setting. It took me about half an hour to figure out what PowerDVD does. Some time ago I started looking at WinDVD too (the VAIO version you provided), and even found what file it accesses, but that file (some small file in system32 folder, do not remember its exact name no) turned out to be locked by System process, so I could not see what is inside, could not copy it, delete etc. I could only see its content when I logged in to another OS (Vista), but I did not continue experiments partly because I did not have time and partly because I do not really see much sense in using WinDVD due to its restrictions."

With this information (and when "WinDVD"'s counter is cracked), one could write a FREE BD-Region-Killer program. SuperGoof doesn't want to, because he thinks instructions for resetting are enough and "AnyDVD-HD" eliminates BD-Region problems. But I think there are some good reasons for a "BD-Region Killer":

Therefore, I would like to suggest you all to develop and upload a free "BD Region Killer."

Thank you and many greetings, :)

A Friend

Greetings!!

Where can I find ADSLocator.exe utility?? Please advise!!!
Kind Regards

FREE BD-Region-Reset Tool

Hello,

SuperGoof has found out how to reset WinDVD's counter :clap: :

Guide: How to reset Blu-ray region counter in InterVideo WinDVD BD for VAIO Ver.8.0.08.100.

1) Download a program called "Autoruns" from www.sysinternals.com.
2) Run autoruns.exe, go to "Drivers" tab and disable driver called "regi" (regi.sys). Just untick the checkbox next to it. Note: Do not delete it.
3) Restart Windows.
4) Delete file "ivireg.ivr" in "C:\Windows\System32\" folder.
5) Re-enable "regi" driver using Autoruns (tick the checkbox).
6) Restart Windows.File "ivireg.ivr" will be recreated with default settings and you can change BD region from WinDVD interface 5 more times before you have to repeat this procedure. Enjoy!
P.S.: If you have a dual boot system (say, XP and Vista), you can just boot to another OS and delete "ivireg.ivr" from there.

Now it seems to be possible to develop a free Blu-Ray-Region-reset tool
"BD Region Killer" for PowerDVD Ultra AND WinDVD Platinum.

Many greetings, :)

A Friend

can you give me an example of the XP powerdvd registry key please

my region is not set and it is giving me problems,I would like to add a region key to the registry.
I don't know how to name the entry?

Last edited:
How to Use the Blu-Ray Region-Reset Keys

Hello,

1. On http://forum.slysoft.com/misc.php?do=showattachments&t=6403 , you will find four Blu-Ray Region-Reset Keys for "PowerDVD Ultra." Download and unzip the .ZIP folder.

2. Set a Blu-Ray Region in "PowerDVD" (usually the Region of your country). The counter will tell you that you have 4 more changes. Now the Registry value is no longer empty. Close PowerDVD.

3. Double-click on one of the four Reset Keys.

The "RegionA/B/C" Keys will BOTH set a new Blu-Ray Region (A, B, or C) AND set the counter to 99,999 changes;
the "RegionX" Key will only set the counter to 99,999 WITHOUT changing the current Blu-Ray Region.

When asked whether the information of the Key should be added to the Registry, click on "Yes."

4. Restart "PowerDVD." Go to Region. You should have 99,999 changes now and can change the Blu-Ray Regions either in PowerDVD itself or with the Reset Keys (for the Keys, PowerDVD must be closed and restarted). Remember every time you use the Reset Keys, the counter will be set to 99,999 (for example, you can use the "RegionX" Key once a week/month to make sure that you will never run out of changes).

5. For more comfort, install a "PowerDVD" desktop icon in the Reset Key folder. Then you can start the player after resetting the counter.

Enjoy and many greetings, :)

A Pal

Thanks, didn't solve my problem

I ripped "Rising Sun" (UK) Blu-Ray to Hard disk without setting the "remove region coding" in AnyDVD HD
Now when I try to play it says, "This disk has been coded for region A or B and will not play in this machine" even though powerDVD is now set to region B.

I suspect I will have to rip it again, and remove the region coding.

Hi,

Yes, I think so. As their name says, the Reset Keys ONLY RESET the Blu-Ray counter of PowerDVD or CHANGE the Region, they DO NOT REMOVE THE REGION CHECK ITSELF! They only help you WATCH Blu-Ray discs from different Regions, but NOT COPY them. Use the Region-removing options of AnyDVD while ripping.

Good luck and many greetings, :)

A Pal

Thanks, didn't solve my problem

I ripped "Rising Sun" (UK) Blu-Ray to Hard disk without setting the "remove region coding" in AnyDVD HD
Now when I try to play it says, "This disk has been coded for region A or B and will not play in this machine" even though powerDVD is now set to region B.

I suspect I will have to rip it again, and remove the region coding.

If you still have the original, just put it in the drive, set AnydvdHD to region free and just copy over the index.bdmv, and the movieobject.bdmv files, and replace the ones in your original rip with these, always works for me

Thanks Adbear
That worked but only if I DESELECTED remove region in Slysoft
"Rising Sun" UK region B could not be played if any attempt was made to remove region coding.

Thanks Adbear
That worked but only if I DESELECTED remove region in Slysoft
"Rising Sun" UK region B could not be played if any attempt was made to remove region coding.

For some titles AnyDVD also has to remove the region coding from the JAR files. If that's such a disk, copying only movieobjects.bdmv won't do.
Also: does this disc contain any files in the \CERTIFICATE folder?
If so, please let me know, thanks.

I copied movieobjects and index with "remove region" deselected
I couldn't play "Rising Sun" from the Blu-Ray disk or from the hard drive rip if I had ticked the remove region option in AnyDVD HD

There is an empty folder called BACKUP in the certificate directory.

I copied movieobjects and index with "remove region" deselected
I couldn't play "Rising Sun" from the Blu-Ray disk or from the hard drive rip if I had ticked the remove region option in AnyDVD HD

There is an empty folder called BACKUP in the certificate directory.

So, did you try to also copy the files in the JAR folder? These frequently have region coding as well, so they also have to be de-regioned.

Back