• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Why upgrade to the slysoft version of gamejackal?

Jalida

First off Im not trolling so let me be clear on that...

I have used GJ for quite a while now, and for the most part found it quite usefull for the games that it does work with. Of course there were some games that it didn't work with and even some games that when GJ was running, and I started the game (through the normal game executable, not the GJ link) would cause a spontaneous reboot (but that was only one game).

But I've already got the latest GJ before it was aquired by slysoft and Im trying to figure out what the slysoft version brings new to the table. Obviously the GJ version that I have is no longer being developed by the original company hence no updates for newer copy protections, but is there something that is substantially better or improved in the slysoft GJ that is a must have? Does the slysoft version support some copy protections that the last GJ didn't have? Has anybody created a side by side comparison of the last developed version of GJ (with the old company) and the new Slysoft GJ version? If so where is it located.

Thanks.

P.S. I realize it's only a $10.00 upgrade but after paying out for GJ from the original company for what I believe was supposed to be lifetime upgrades, it does miff me just a little bit that I would pay again if it's the same product in a new wrapper. However like stated above, I do realize that the old companys version isn't being developed anymore by them so when I buy a game that has some newer copy protection that wasn't handled in the old GJ then obviously a new version would be required by slysoft. But other then that, what else is new or an incentive to give another company and additional $10.00 for a product that I already bought.

Much apreciated your responses.

I've just upgraded, and apart from some minor UI changes (ooh! a different logo!), it all appears to be the same, apart from some broken functionality! (ie: desktop shortcuts can't be created).

I'll wait and see what slysoft support is like, but at the moment it feels to me like I just paid $10 for a new logo.

Thanks for your comments on what you see so far.

Anybody else have any information on what is new in this version of GJ, or if there are some copy protections that the slysoft version can work around that the original GJ couldnt?

Comments are appreciated.

I'm just going to say this: regardless of whether the new GJ currently supports newer protections (and based on version history/release notes, I doubt it), eventually I'm sure it will.

And once the current bugs are eliminated, future OS support added, and newer copy protection supported, most people won't be asking "why upgrade"; they will be asking themselves "when will I?"

It's just a matter of time.

Last edited:
I agree for the most part. Of course I'd like to know definitvly if this version has the new features or support for any new copy protection(or individual games that the original GJ didn't work with, but this version does) just as I'd like to know (if I bought it now) when newer versions of GJ have added not only bug fixes but also games that were incompatible then being compatible (new copy protection support).

Thanks,

I agree for the most part. Of course I'd like to know definitvly if this version has the new features or support for any new copy protection(or individual games that the original GJ didn't work with, but this version does)

I don't have a definitive answer. I don't see any evidence of this yet.

just as I'd like to know (if I bought it now) when newer versions of GJ have added not only bug fixes but also games that were incompatible then being compatible (new copy protection support).

Release notes are what you should be reading

Thanks for the link to the release notes. After briefly scanning them it seems it's been a long time since one has been released that wasn't a bug fix release, but I guess new copy protection doesn't come out everyday, so there might not be a need for a new version to deal with that end of what the product is sold to do.

So, I guess.... If the admins, moderators, owners of slysoft happen across this and would care to take the time to definately answer if there are games supported in the slysoft version that isn't in the orignal version, then I'd love to hear about it so that I too can give you my $10.00 for your version.

Thanks for everybodys time.

All I want to know is if there is free updates for life of the product just like anydvd ect... if so I'm sold. :D

There are newer games that have been released with newer/updated protections that the old GJ cannot touch (as well as some older games). That alone is worth $10.00. As well, SlySoft team has a history of constantly updating their products in a very timely manner. If you own any of their other products, like I do, you should realize that 10.00 to upgrade is nothing short of a bargin. When I get an HD/Blueray burner one day I'll have to pay to UPGRADE my purchased AnyDVD to be able to use the AnyDVD HD capability and will gladly do. Still a bargin from what it has done for me.

This business of 'lifetime' upgrades from a product that is no longer made by those that promised it is just not valid and is only an excuse to complain. Those that worry about $10.00 are the likely:
1: the same ones that run out and buy the lastest games at over $50.00 a pop and buy Vista $100.00 +++and have the latest hardware-$$$$$-ect and likely have various consoles as well.
or
2: Daddy/Mommy won't fork over 10.00.
or
3:like to complain.

IMHO!:D :D :D

Last edited:
All I want to know is if there is free updates for life of the product just like anydvd ect... if so I'm sold. :D

from http://www.slysoft.com/purchase.html

When you purchase one of our products you will receive the following:

* A registration key that prevents the trial version from expiring after 21 days.
* Technical support for one year
* Free lifetime updates

I will say I am experiencing issues with this latest release (that I believe are bug related, but I could be wrong).

from http://www.slysoft.com/purchase.html

When you purchase one of our products you will receive the following:

* A registration key that prevents the trial version from expiring after 21 days.
* Technical support for one year
* Free lifetime updates

I will say I am experiencing issues with this latest release (that I believe are bug related, but I could be wrong).

I am a dunce! :D I failed to see that part. Thanks

At present time GJ works fine, and I have no need for the New Slysoft GameJackal, but with the time stated 24 June to update, I went ahead and got the new Slysoft GameJackal Pro, when I need it I will have it. At 20 dollars ( 20 includes the first 10 + Slysoft 10 for update) as to 29 dollars you pay after the 24th of june can't go wrong. :agree:..........CHEERS

I purchased the update right away, mainly to encourage the developers. Later it will be worth it for the timely updates I'm sure we'll receive. I'll actually start using the newer version once the minor issues people are experiencing are worked out. Being able to get it for $10 is a great reason as well. ;)

"I'll wait and see what slysoft support is like, but at the moment it feels to me like I just paid $10 for a new logo."

you've got a new logo? my logo is the same as the old gamejackal (sideways m in a blue square). i know this seems a bit irrelevant when it comes to the functionality of gamejackal, but if there is a newer logo and mine didn't install properly, i have to ask, what else in my new gamejackal did not install properly?

I hadn't updated for a while, so my logo was the blue circles with an upright M - My current logo is a blue square with an M on its side, so I think you'll be ok!
Sorry for any confusion!

I just installed the new Slysoft GJ over the old GJ, and it went with out a glitch.........CHEERS

concerns re slysoft & game jackal

hi
I've not used gamejackal BUT i do use slysoft products. they are frankly the best & the update service is the BEST that i have found in computing sinse 1981. you will get updates as soon as they are needed. I dont know if i need gamejackal in the same way the hd version of anydvd is not needed yet,BUT every bit of software that i have purchased from slysoft has been updated BEFORE i knew that i needed it. if they brought out a company then i would say that the comitment to the software will be full on
regards
danw

I've upgraded now to get the lifetime upgrades at a great price. but I've not bothered to install - just put the new key in a safe place.

the old version is working oK, so until I buy a game that needs an upgrade I'll leave the PC as it is. if it ain't broke, dont fix it!

The shortcut problem has been fixed with an impressively speedy update. NOLF 2 and Contract JACk, which previously resisted any profiling, are now working fine. GTA III remains a problem, but overall, it's looking good!
I retract my previous comments - $10 for an upgrade and this level of service is very good value!

Back