• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Terminator Blu-ray plays under Windows Media Player

roog

Under Vista 32, I discovered that the main movie file "00017.m2ts' for the Blu-ray movie 'Terminator' will play using Windows Media Player.

I haven't found any other titles that will work but it's interesting that this one does.

I may be wrong, but to me it looks like Microsoft has already put HD capabilities into Vista but is currently suppressing their use.

Last edited:
That's interesting, first time I heard about WMP playing any HD format.

What else do you have installed on your system? Maybe it is a side effect of some other software?

As of HD being built into Vista I doubt it.

First Microsoft would support the format they officially support, HD DVD and not the competing Sony format/

What else do you have installed on your system? Maybe it is a side effect of some other software?

First Microsoft would support the format they officially support, HD DVD and not the competing Sony format/

Yes, I think so too. WMP simply uses the DirectX Filter mechanism and puts together, whatever is available (codecs, containers, ...) on the system, that will play the format.

So it's just using the filters installed by (?) WinDVD or whatever.. :)

thats what i would guess as long as it is really caused by a codec.

I have both PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 and Nero 7 (with Blu-ray and HD DVD plugin) installed so it could be them.

I have both PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 and Nero 7 (with Blu-ray and HD DVD plugin) installed so it could be them.

So my bet is it is nero BD plugin.

hmm, we might have an accidental discovery here.

How is the playback? Is it any good w/WMP? I heard a lot of complaints about nero playback of HD.

So my bet is it is nero BD plugin.

hmm, we might have an accidental discovery here.

How is the playback? Is it any good w/WMP? I heard a lot of complaints about nero playback of HD.

I found two other movies that work, Crash and Click. I play them by right-clicking on the .M2TS file and selecting 'Open With->Choose Default Program', then select 'Browse' and locate and run 'wmplayer.exe' which is in the 'Program Files' directory. The first time you try this you have to let Windows Media Player search for the codec.

In answer to your questions, the video quality seems to be reduced and the audio is at a very low level. Also, unlike Nero Showtime, the audio seems to be in sync with the video.

Hopefully someone else, without Nero installed, can try to play them to see if they work.

K-lite codec pack (free drivers and Media Player Classic) plays AVC/H.264 HD better than WMP.

Maybe this will play HD-DVD + Blu Ray also?

I found two other movies that work, Crash and Click. I play them by right-clicking on the .M2TS file and selecting 'Open With->Choose Default Program', then select 'Browse' and locate and run 'wmplayer.exe' which is in the 'Program Files' directory. The first time you try this you have to let Windows Media Player search for the codec.

In answer to your questions, the video quality seems to be reduced and the audio is at a very low level. Also, unlike Nero Showtime, the audio seems to be in sync with the video.

Hopefully someone else, without Nero installed, can try to play them to see if they work.

It won't work w/o Nero BD plugin, I can bet you $1.

PDVD is a "closed" player.

Since Nero decided to implement their support thru the plugin, they had to comply w/common plugin architecture of the OS.

WMP is just taking advantage of that.

It won't work w/o Nero BD plugin, I can bet you $1.

PDVD is a "closed" player.

Since Nero decided to implement their support thru the plugin, they had to comply w/common plugin architecture of the OS.

WMP is just taking advantage of that.

Looks like you owe me $1 :)

I've been building and configuring a system for the last week which will play BD content through Media Centre. (Involves the myMovies plugin, anyDVD and creating ISOs of the DVDs, then PowerDVD for playback. Bit of a hash but it kinda works).

You can play the .m2ts files located in the stream directory via WMP and you certainly don't need Nero installed.

And what programe do you use for mounting the ISO ?

I've tried mounting a Blu-ray ISO with most of these virtual drives and with all of them the playback was choppy.

Looks like you owe me $1 :)

I've been building and configuring a system for the last week which will play BD content through Media Centre. (Involves the myMovies plugin, anyDVD and creating ISOs of the DVDs, then PowerDVD for playback. Bit of a hash but it kinda works).

You can play the .m2ts files located in the stream directory via WMP and you certainly don't need Nero installed.

Hmm, interesting. I don't have an explanation for this.
Can you try the same thing on XP?

I'll send you $1 thru PayPal for doing this :D

And what programe do you use for mounting the ISO ?

I've tried mounting a Blu-ray ISO with most of these virtual drives and with all of them the playback was choppy.

It has nothing to do with the mounting program, Daemon Tools should be just fine, choppy playback is due to either your PC not being powerful enough or HDD badly fragmented.

It has nothing to do with the mounting program, Daemon Tools should be just fine, choppy playback is due to either your PC not being powerful enough or HDD badly fragmented.

No way Jose, my pc is plenty powerful enough and well maintained.

Blu-ray and HD DVD play perfectly from the folder on HDD

No way Jose, my pc is plenty powerful enough and well maintained.

Blu-ray and HD DVD play perfectly from the folder on HDD

So you are saying that Daemon-mounted ISO has a sluggish playback and it is Daemon Tools fault.

Frankly, I find it hard to believe.

Try to defragment HDD.

So you are saying that Daemon-mounted ISO has a sluggish playback and it is Daemon Tools fault.

Frankly, I find it hard to believe.

Try to defragment HDD.

Thanks for trying to help but I see no confirmation from anyone that mounted HD ISOs play successfully at all. Have you succeeded at this ?

As I say my PC is well mantained including disk defragging.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=4125

Thanks for trying to help but I see no confirmation from anyone that mounted HD ISOs play successfully at all. Have you succeeded at this ?

As I say my PC is well mantained including disk defragging.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=4125

All my 19 HD DVDs are converted to ISO w/IMGBURN UDF-only mode and used with FastMount and Daemon Tools as a host for the FastMount.

Double-clicking ISO starts playback of the HD DVD movie w/PDVD.

Playback is perfect.

What is funny someone has reported to me that they had a sloppy playback using folders and got perfect playback using my method.

BTW, I am using "old" Daemon Tools version, 3.47 which seems to have the least of the compatibility problems.

My OS is XP SP2, no "automatic updates".

Hope it helps.

Back