• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Update to v6.8.5.12 beta or newer] Is THOR unrippable??

Status
Not open for further replies.
A protected sector like the ARccOS copy protection system will be reported by the same way as a scratched (non readable sector) or fingerprinted sector. So yes, it can be tricked.

Exactly.

The "tools" are unable to differentiate between a bad sector which is part of a structural protection and a scratch, fingerprint, or badly pressed disc. If it can't read a sector then it's marked as a bad sector. End of story.

Thor Can Be Properly Ripped....

Thor has a new copyright protection....period. End of story.

I was unable to rip the disc with AnyDVD......DVDFab ripped the disc but the rip was not a proper rip....

I was however, able to use an alternate ripper and have an excellent working copy of the DVD with previews, menus and the complete movie with all chapters intact.

Although defective discs may occur, this was too big a release for the movie studio (Paramount) not to try and deter copying with a new protection.

I

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=4
Do not suggest other software products (especially ones that compete with Slysoft products) as solutions to people in the General, Anydvd, Anydvd HD, Clonedvd, Clonecd, Game Jackal, or Clonedvd Mobile forums. If you want to help someone with a problem using the Slysoft or Elaborate Bytes product he or she is having issues with, that's fine. Otherwise, post in the Third Party Products, High Definition Software, High Definition Hardware, General Hardware, etc., forums.

Please use the PM system :agree:

It's a good idea to read the forum rules.
Help with or including 3rd party products is fine - in the 3rd party sections.

-W

How to Rip Thor

I Can't rip thor
Using the latest beta AnyDVD, and the latest CloneDVD, I got the same 17 sector error as typical on the Thor thread.

I ripped every title (full movie on their own), without menus - write to file setting - DL mode. Title 02 would not complete at all, however the other titles did. Title 10 was the largest files with 5.65 GB total space for files, everything else was much less.

The only title that was a complete movie, chapters in correct order etc. was title 10 - it plays without any problem - I prefer no menus anyway. I am not at my home computer, so I cannot upload the log file, sorry.

I also copied the original to uif (iso under 8GB file). When I expanded the file it took up 29GB of drive space. Still couldn't perform a copy using CloneDVD. I also noticed 2 directories under the UDF track that had strange characters for titles.

I'm inclined to believe this is new protection, this many error discs would mean huge returns as home DVD players should fail too. I played the same original disk on a dvd drive using WINDVD 6, played perfectly - 17 sector errors without issue?

alback

Last edited:
Not so ....

I'm inclined to believe this is new protection, this many error discs would mean huge returns as home DVD players should fail too. I played the same original disk on a dvd drive, played perfectly - 17 sector errors without issue?

Protections rarely interfere with playing and no studio would shoot themselves in the foot and make playing a movie a problem. Think about it. They are happy to let you play it and delighted when a "read" for a copy fails.
The jury is still out on this protection thing.

Here is a direct quote from a pilgrim to Support today:

Using AnyDVD and Clone DVD2 backed up just movie selecting
1:54:44 Timeline.

Power DVD with details on while playing told me which large
file to select. I don't do forums to hold down on my stress
level but maybe this will help someone.

Watched in stand alone player and played perfectly.

I've asked him for logs, etc. ;)

Sorry James, I was not stating that you said it wasn't new protection.

I was merely giving my opinion and why. Many others claim the disks must be poorly pressed as people have been able to obtain error free disks. I'm sure you will find the solution.

Sorry James, I was not stating that you said it wasn't new protection.

I was merely giving my opinion and why. Many others claim the disks must be poorly pressed as people have been able to obtain error free disks. I'm sure you will find the solution.

I think you'll find that what threw others off track a bit - was the fact that there are indeed some visibly bad pressings out there as well.

-W

Protections rarely interfere with playing and no studio would shoot themselves in the foot and make playing a movie a problem. Think about it. They are happy to let you play it and delighted when a "read" for a copy fails.
The jury is still out on this protection thing.

Looks like the same length as Title 10 - which has been suggested, and I confirm as a usable near term backup.

thanks,
ar

You are giving studios too much credit, Frank. When the North American DVD releases first were introduced to the X-Protect protection mechanism or whatever the name is where the UDF filesystem is played with there were many people who did run into problems playing these original retail DVDs in standalone players. I had a friend who was the manager of a DVD rental store. I always got to hear about problematic discs that people returned and said they couldn't play. The X-Protect discs had a high failure rate although it never honestly made sense to me why people had so many issues with standalone players. Blade: House of Chthon was the first N.A. release using this and soon followed by the likes of Snakes On A Plane and a host of other New Line releases.

Hopefully the user provides logs. I'd like to see which version of the disc this is. Furthermore, it's nice that the user could make a movie-only backup but I don't consider that to be a true success when looking at the big picture. Real success is being able to make a full-disc backup and doing anything you want when making that backup. :)

Last edited:
And here I thought we were trying to help each other

Within the forum rules and knowing that this is a user-to-user forum specifically for the support of Slysoft and Elaborate Bytes products, yes, we are trying to help each other. You still need to read and follow the forum rules that everyone agrees to when joining the forums, however, and adhere to them.

I'm sure this protection will be handled soon enough but that doesn't remove the fact that there are some badly pressed discs floating around, as well. Patience is a virtue and, honestly, I can't understand all the impatience involved with this DVD release given the fact that it isn't even officially for sale yet.

For the record....

Loonier & Clams,

I didn't name the "successful alternate ripper" and only mentioned DVDFAB because it had already been mentioned in this thread previously.

In fact, now that I have a working copy of the DVD my only purpose for posting the above reply is to dispel the notion that the disc was defective. My disc was not defective as previously assumed and that was proven by my method.

When there is a new release like THOR, TRANSFORMERS, PRECIOUS, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, FAST FIVE.....etc.. we should expect a new protection. I expect new protections are being developed right now for CAPTAIN AMERICA, FAST FIVE, RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, GREEN LANTERN AND HANGOVER 2, SCREAM 4 AND TRANSFORMERS 3

Paramount and Lionsgate are notorious for implementing new protections. So why are we going with the bad disc theory first?

If this was some "B" rated movie or sequel like "DEATH RACE 2" or "30 DAYS OF NIGHT 2" I would assume a defective disc. The studious aren't going to spend the resources to implement a new protection on a lesser release. It should be assumed that there's a new protection on a big release though....

I understand that it's the easiest fix and that it could eliminate a whole lot of unnecessary work for the developers, but who didn't expect THOR to have a new protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back