• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Update to v6.8.5.12 beta or newer] Is THOR unrippable??

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you read my posts, and there have been many, I said I got a movie only version using ideal dvd copy, not fab.

No dumping, just using your direct statement:

how come dvdfab can rip it, but anydvd can't.

Remember?

They can't do this one either without jumping through hoops and their Forum is also full of "not working" and their fearless/peerless leader is in the bunker.
James is still looking at this, bless his heart.
I'm still standing to my conclusions based on information here and in other Forums: this worked as designed in some cases, most of the time not and it would be another "first" maybe that "PS10" turns out to be a protection and on top of that the number of "bad" sectors not being a linear value across all discs. The jury is out still. I might still be wrong but looking back I based my initial take on this on feedback from users not speculation.

i have done the dvd9 backup trick for a while now, backing up the dvd9 as iso works, burning to dl disc and plays fine, just cant rip to vobs or use clone or shrink, but dvd9 works with paramount dvds which are not cracked yet

If your store bought copy plays, thern watch it until this is sorted, all I know is that no software will backup a poorly pressed copy of this disc. Some might have got a different batch, and they successfully backed it up, I really do not believe its a protection issue. Thats said, Thor will wait for definitive answer here. Enough said.

Hi, attached file corresponds to the single DVD version, R1 USA.
ISBN 1-4157-5978-2
bar code 0-97361-43964-8.
I hope this is helpful information.

Here is the file for the beta version 6.8.5.10

Attachments

• AnyDVD_6.8.5.9_Info_P_THOR.zip
    331 KB · Views: 2
  • AnyDVD_6.8.5.10_Info_P_THOR.zip
    330.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice but ....

ISBN 1-4157-5978-2

Is there some reason why you posted logs for a disc already known to produce exactly that status? :confused:

BTW: set your DVD drive status. It won't help with this one but can make AnyDVD's job a little easier for other DVDs.

Here's what we know:

1. There is likely a new protection involved with Thor.
  2. There is a known bad production run. Reports of physically bad discs exist online in various locations. Not all discs are badly pressed but some are.

What we don't know:

1. Why there are apparently different protections on what appear to be identical DVDs. We've now seen that the DVD that is sold by itself shows up completely different than the DVD that comes in the Blu-Ray + DVD combo release. More logs and more explanations as to where the odd discs came from would be useful in resolving that question.

frankk, whether you care to believe it or not bad pressed discs be it DVDs or Blu-Ray do actually exist and it is not some urban legend. This problem is actually getting worse. More bad discs are sold these days than in the past. Some people do actually have a bad discs so between the bad discs and the fact that AnyDVD doesn't handle the DVD there is no way they can make a backup. After AnyDVD does add support for Thor the people who do have defective discs will still be unable to make a backup. People who have a disc that is not defective won't have a problem.

For now we simply need to be patient and people need to remember that this movie has not even been officially released yet. Official street date in the US is September 13, 2011.

Frank, my question still stands, if the disc is deffective, how can dvdfab read and rip all of it?
it doesn't play in order on the copy, but it does rip it where anydvd does not.

Frank, my question still stands, if the disc is deffective, how can dvdfab read and rip all of it?
Go over to their forum and see how many people can and cant, and you have no idea what production run was from the people that could do it and couldnt. Please let the developers work on this, when we have something we will update you. And no we dont have to answer questions we do not know the answer to. Like I said before enough said. Is that clear.;)

a question
why am i able to do a dvd9 copy in iso format and not in file mode? dvd9 plays fine

a question
why am i able to do a dvd9 copy in iso format and not in file mode? dvd9 plays fine

Rip to Image doesn't remaster. It was never intended for DVDs let alone DVDs with structural protections. Resulting ISOs using Rip to Image still contain structural protection. Rip Video DVD to Harddisk... does remaster and removes the structural protections resulting in sanitized output. Obviously, if this is a new protection then AnyDVD will get stuck on removing it. That's the only way I can figure it makes a difference.

Last edited:

Scan your DVD with VSO Inspector or Nero CDspeed to check if it is a defective disc. If you receive read errors then it is defective.

Scan your DVD with VSO Inspector or Nero CDspeed to check if it is a defective disc. If you receive read errors then it is defective.

No, no, and no. This disc whether defective or not makes use of structural protection. Using any of these disc verification programs is completely and utterly useless and meaningless.

Refer to my post in this thread here: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?p=322057#post322057.

Using Nero CD-DVD Speed, Nero DiscSpeed, and/or VSO Inspector is a waste of time with regard to any disc that makes use of structural protections. The people who reported having no problems backing up Thor haven't provided a full set of log files but we have seen the status window (refer here: http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=321440&postcount=13) and it clearly indicates that stuctural protections were present. Therefore using any of these programs to verify the disc is completely useless. Without AnyDVD running, yes, there will be read errors because of the structural protection. With AnyDVD running, yes, there will be read errors if the disc is bad. There could also be read errors if AnyDVD didn't properly handle a disc or it's possible that there wouldn't be read errors if AnyDVD didn't handle a disc perfectly. See why doing the test is meaningless? With older DVDs that didn't make use of structural protections it was a simple yes or no situation. It doesn't work like that anymore.

IT isn't useless to use that tool. You can verify and be sure is the disc is defective or not, at least you can discard that reason and the idea that the problem is a defective disc.

Last edited:
IT isn't useless to use that tool. You can verify and be sure is the disc is defective or not, at least you can discard that reason.

I give up. You're wrong in the context that I answered the question with regard to structural protections and specifically this disc but I'm not wasting my breath any further.

Last edited:
IT isn't useless to use that tool. You can verify and be sure is the disc is defective or not, at least you can discard that reason and the idea that the problem is a defective disc.

It's useless because a disk with "bad sector protections" will fool it into reporting that it's a defective disk with real "bad sectors".
The tool can be fooled into lying.

You get it now?

It's misuse of tools like this that lead to even more reports of "bad disks" than already exist.

-W

Rip to Image doesn't remaster. It was never intended for DVDs let alone DVDs with structural protections. Resulting ISOs using Rip to Image still contain structural protection.

I have yet to read ANY explanation from SlySoft on what ImgBurn does differently with ISO creation that AnyDVD's "Rip to Image" does not. People keep saying using "Rip to Image" for DVD doesn't work and doesn't remove protection and I don't think that's true.

ISBN 1-4157-5978-2

Thanks very much for the logs. However, you didn't say if you had any problems or not with these discs. Right now, that is extremely important information to go along with the logs.

Thanks very much for the logs. However, you didn't say if you had any problems or not with these discs. Right now, that is extremely important information to go along with the logs.

With Clone and DVDshrink, I had problems with both programs can not process the DVD.

When I tried to create an image to the hard drive with imgburn and anydvd disabled, with the option Create image file from files/folders, the program indicates that there are 2 hidden files and the size of the image requires approximately 36 GB.

It's useless because a disk with "bad sector protections" will fool it into reporting that it's a defective disk with real "bad sectors".
The tool can be fooled into lying.

You get it now?

It's misuse of tools like this that lead to even more reports of "bad disks" than already exist.

-W

It can't fool because it dont verify the data, it scan the surface to see if there is defects or damage caused by various things, like scratches or bad pressing

It can't fool because it dont verify the data, it scan the surface to see if there is defects or damage caused by various things, like scratches or bad pressing

A protected sector like the ARccOS copy protection system will be reported by the same way as a scratched (non readable sector) or fingerprinted sector. So yes, it can be tricked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back