• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Feature Request - External Program Smart Parameters

freedom

Great work!

I wanted to put in a request for additional feature for the 'Start external Program on Media Change' area of AnyDVD / AnyDVDHD.

For the parameters section would it be possible to add smart parameters?

For instance:

{DRIVE} - would indicate which optical drive had the media changed.
{LABEL} - label as it appears in the Status Window
{SIZE} - size as it appears in the Status Window
{MEDIATYPE} - DVD, HD DVD, BluRay, etc.
{ENC-STATUS} - A flag indicating whether or not AnyDVD was successful in decrypting the contents (i.e. ENC-SUCCUSS or ENC-FAILED).

The drive section is the most important for me as I have multiple optical drives and the current launch on media change doesn't work so well as I don't know which drive the media change is related to.

Thanks!

Great work!

I wanted to put in a request for additional feature for the 'Start external Program on Media Change' area of AnyDVD / AnyDVDHD.

For instance:

{DRIVE} - would indicate which optical drive had the media changed.
{LABEL} - label as it appears in the Status Window
{ENC-STATUS} - A flag indicating whether or not AnyDVD was successful in decrypting the contents (i.e. ENC-SUCCUSS or ENC-FAILED).

The drive section is the most important for me as I have multiple optical drives and the current launch on media change doesn't work so well as I don't know which drive the media change is related to.

Thanks!
Good suggestion, thank you!

This feature is advertised but...

I bought this product not because of the copying thing, but because of the feature listed on this page ; 9th bullet

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

"Allows execution of external programs on disc insertion and removal

but you can't do this. Way upset!:bang:

-Greg

Can anyone answer this post? I've seen a few posts on the "run external program" feature, but no answers. Does this feature work? How? I, too, just purchased AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 last night - one of the big reasons is that I am supposed to be able to run an external program when I insert a DVD.... I want to make the ripping process idiot-proof for my wife. I want to be able to put a DVD in the drive and it open CloneDVD so we can start ripping. Am I misunderstanding how this 'feature' is supposed to work??

I have Vista Ultimate running as the OS. I have set the external programs to the CloneDVD2 exe. When I put a DVD in the drive, AnyDVD scans it, but CloneDVD does not start auto-magically - I have to start it manually.

Anyone have info on how this feature is supposed to work?? Is there a way for me to automate the entire process so I can simply put a DVD in the drive and have it rip to an .iso file automatically, then eject when it's done?

Any info would be helpful...

Thanks!

:confused:

Can anyone answer this post? I've seen a few posts on the "run external program" feature, but no answers. Does this feature work? How? I, too, just purchased AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 last night - one of the big reasons is that I am supposed to be able to run an external program when I insert a DVD.... I want to make the ripping process idiot-proof for my wife. I want to be able to put a DVD in the drive and it open CloneDVD so we can start ripping. Am I misunderstanding how this 'feature' is supposed to work??
Yes. This feature does something which only AnyDVD can do - it can start a program *before* the disc is made visible to the OS. So you can do operations *before* Windows' autostart/autoplay kicks in. E.g. setting your display resolution *before* the DVD player software starts.

For what you want to do, you can use the mechanisms provided by the OS (e.g., autoplay).

Ahhh, got it. Understood - thanks for the quick reply!

:clap:

So how about the scenario where I'd like to pop in a DVD and have it auto-rip to iso format somewhere on the client machine (or network)? Is there a way I can automate that?

Thanks again,

daver

Great work!

For instance:

{DRIVE} - would indicate which optical drive had the media changed.{LABEL} - label as it appears in the Status Window

Thanks!

+1000
I agree for external parametre => drive letter

Regards

did this ever get implemented? I need to be able to identify which drive triggered the external program. Thanks.

did this ever get implemented? I need to be able to identify which drive triggered the external program. Thanks.
From what I can tell of AnyDVD help, I don't think it was ever put in.

However, as James stated earlier in the thread, the main purpose of that option is to launch programs before AnyDVD makes the disc visible to Windows, such as the SetDisplayFrequency app that ships with AnyDVD (initially shown in the boxes when you activate it) or the similar third-party app Powerstrip; disc parameters are useless at that point as the disc isn't visible yet in Windows. (So are frequency-change apps on most non-CRT monitors & TVs, which is why it's seldom used anymore.)

What you want--auto-launching a disc-related program once the disc is inserted *and* visible to Windows--can be done by Windows itself via Autoplay, which itself isn't affected by AnyDVD. AnyDVD by default *does* prevent programs *on* video DVDs and audio CDs from auto-launching (to block the annoying InterActual DVD-ROM player and some audio-CD copy-protection schemes); but it doesn't block Autoplay itself.

Last edited:
I understand... That would work, but it would be much easier to just use the external program functionality that AnyDVD provides. What I am trying to do is actually work around a separate issue that is described in this thread:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=38538

I can't get AnyDVD to work in WHS 2011 when run in a Hyper-V virutal machine. It kind of works when I run AnyDVD on BOTH the host Hyper-V server and the WHS 2011 guest OS, but even with that it only will recognize the first disc I insert. After that, I need to uncapture and recapture the physical drive in order for a second disc to be recognized by the guest OS.

My idea was to have AnyDVD on the host kick off a PowerShell script that would automatically uncapture and recapture the physical drive for the guest. You are right in that AutoPlay could be used to do this, but I was hoping to avoid having to figure out the whole WMI event registration business...

The best solution would be to just have AnyDVD work perfectly when running on WHS 2011 in a guest VM on top of Hyper-V Server! :)

I understand... That would work, but it would be much easier to just use the external program functionality that AnyDVD provides. What I am trying to do is actually work around a separate issue that is described in this thread:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=38538

I can't get AnyDVD to work in WHS 2011 when run in a Hyper-V virutal machine. It kind of works when I run AnyDVD on BOTH the host Hyper-V server and the WHS 2011 guest OS, but even with that it only will recognize the first disc I insert. After that, I need to uncapture and recapture the physical drive in order for a second disc to be recognized by the guest OS.

My idea was to have AnyDVD on the host kick off a PowerShell script that would automatically uncapture and recapture the physical drive for the guest. You are right in that AutoPlay could be used to do this, but I was hoping to avoid having to figure out the whole WMI event registration business...

You can't use AnyDVD's "start external..." option for this, because, well, RBBrittain said it. This option is *only* there, because it can trigger an event at a moment *only* AnyDVD can (because it knows) - *before* the disc is presented to the OS.

Why WMI event registration? Just listen to a WM_DEVICECHANGE windows message, or use one of the thousands of freeware programs which do.

Back