• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

First Trials BDAV Failed.

Lance Botelle

Hi,

I am trying your product for the first time to decrypt a BD-RE containing a BDAV folder (not BDMV) that has a TV prog that I recorded. As storing this prog on DVD is cheaper than using a Blu-Ray disc (and with some Transcoding I could do so), I thought I would give your product a go and test it. Unfortunately, even your latest BETA fails to decrypt the files ... Here is the error report ..

Summary for drive G: (AnyDVD 6.8.5.8 )
HL-DT-ST BD-REBH10LS30 1.01 A00615119EB6R93153
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Current profile: BD-RE
Media is a Blu-ray disc.

Total size: 11826176 sectors (23098 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER
Media is AACS protected!
AACS MKB version 19
Sorry, but trial versions are not allowed to use the update server!

The AnyDVDHD trial is intended for functionality testing only and,
for business reasons, updates for processing some new discs are not available.
ERROR processing Blu-ray disc!

I NEVER intend to backup/copy bought movies, but only to ever do my own discs that I have recorded from TV. Note, SD quality is no problem, but HD quality programs have AACS encryption. Is your product capable of dealing with this kind of encryption for BDAV folders?

Can you allow me to test this somehow? At the moment, I have nothing to show/test to see if my investment in a Blu-ray recorder for my computer has been worth it or not. ;)

Many Thanks.

Lance.

BDAV is excluded from the trial. Please try with a BDMV. BDAV is guaranteed to work though after you buy.

BDAV is excluded from the trial. Please try with a BDMV. BDAV is guaranteed to work though after you buy.

Hi,

Thanks for responding ... As I say above, I won't be doing any "movies", but if the principle is the same, I will give it a go for a "test".

As long as you are sure the prog will work with BDAV, I guess I may just buy it then. Although I just checked the "NO REFUND" if not satisfied and that I should test before. Are you 100% sure I will not have any problems? Query ... How often does AACS encryption change? I see your product can be registered for set periods of time? Are you saying that the encryption can change over time even if I am not going to do any movies. How does AACS work with TV broadcast programs? (Not really sure how encryption wroks from a perspective of time and change.)

Thanks in advance.

Lance.

Last edited:
It will work since you will be granted access to update server which will be able to send decryption keys needed for that particular disc. The reason mike r told you about to try with BDMV is that chances are disc you will likely to use might be database and it will decrypt locally without asking server. However same rules apply if title is so new that no one has process before hand then you will get the message which you are getting know. This happens when anydvd hasn’t seen disc before. Thus don't have decryption key and now back to your question when you create disc with your recorder it use unique key to encrypt media on disc and since nobody has process before that why you are not allowed to connect to update server thus not able to decrypt. Furthermore no two recorders even by same company and model type use same keys for encryption and decryption.

On this principle they can also revoke devices which threaten eco-system so called HD DRM. Without affecting other devices.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for responding ... As I say above, I won't be doing any "movies", but if the principle is the same, I will give it a go for a "test".

As long as you are sure the prog will work with BDAV, I guess I may just buy it then. Although I just checked the "NO REFUND" if not satisfied and that I should test before. Are you 100% sure I will not have any problems? Query ... How often does AACS encryption change? I see your product can be registered for set periods of time? Are you saying that the encryption can change over time even if I am not going to do any movies. How does AACS work with TV broadcast programs? (Not really sure how encryption wroks from a perspective of time and change.)

Thanks in advance.

Lance.

First, what bluray recorder do you have?

I got a Panasonic (listed below in sig) and 2 days ago, I got a firmware update and I thought, let's check if they updated the AACS for BDAV, but actually they didn't, so AnyDVD ran right through without any update required.

So I guess, if you don't update the firmware of your recorder, there will be never be a problem with AnyDVD and you're fine with a 1 year sub, but even if you plan updating (and there's a chance that they'll update AACS with firmware), there will never be a problem, because AnyDVD handles that.

So I can assure you, that it works ;)

Doesn't seem fair that SlySoft denies a potential customer the ability to test BDAV. They should think about changing that policy. Just my opinion.

First, what bluray recorder do you have?

I got a Panasonic (listed below in sig) and 2 days ago, I got a firmware update and I thought, let's check if they updated the AACS for BDAV, but actually they didn't, so AnyDVD ran right through without any update required.

So I guess, if you don't update the firmware of your recorder, there will be never be a problem with AnyDVD and you're fine with a 1 year sub, but even if you plan updating (and there's a chance that they'll update AACS with firmware), there will never be a problem, because AnyDVD handles that.

So I can assure you, that it works ;)

Hi BurnerHead,

I have the 250 GB version of the Panasonic recorder you have. (The DMR-BS750.) I have updated the recorder's firmware in the past, but quite some time ago now, so I would have thought the latest AnyDVD would have handled the latest AACS compared to the time difference. I believe the AACS is version 19 from what I have managed to ascertain from testing (see above).

So, just to confirm, you say that it is my recorder that encrypts the program rather than the broadcaster? And if I did not update my recorder firmware anymore, then the latest version of AnyDVD will last me "forever"? Out of interest, what version of AACS does your panasonic encrypt to? And what version of AACS does your copy of AnyDVD decrypt to?

Lance.

Doesn't seem fair that SlySoft denies a potential customer the ability to test BDAV. They should think about changing that policy. Just my opinion.

Hi Pelvis Popcan

I thought the same. At least I would know if the result I was after could be achieved. Unless I can test this, I may just see what results I get by "upscaling" SD of a HD broadcast. If the results are not too bad, I may just stick with that and not take a risk with something I am not sure about.

Lance.

But to test it they'd need to have access to the decryption server which is disabled for trial version for good reasons

Perhaps it was not clear in my previous post. You can't trial AnyDVD with BDAV. You have two choices:

. Trial with a BDMV
. Buy AnyDVD

But to test it they'd need to have access to the decryption server which is disabled for trial version for good reasons

Hi Adbear,

Surely the trial version of the AACS decryption for BDAV folders would have been up to date along with the AACS for BDMV wouldn't it?

This is why I am querying how the AACS works. I am guessing that the AACS for bought films keeps updating as newer films become available. Home recordings, however, I would have thought to be a secondary concern and not require such harsh AACS requirements. After all, I *can* already record and archive HD material that I record on the TV as long as I use Blu-ray disks. All I wanted to do was archive the same program on cheaper media, while maintaining the HD quality (even if ever so slightly less quality).

E.g. HD TV prog is 5525 MB, which I can save onto a BD-R disc no problem. However, I thought I would rather squeeze this program onto a DVD by transcoding it to slightly smaller size to fit, while keeping AVCHD quality. The recorder only allows TV programs to record in SD for DVDs. Therefore, I thought I would do it via the PC. (NB: This is not something I am going to do often, maybe 6-7 titles a year.)

There is even an argument that it would be just as cheap for me to buy blu-ray disks and simply put the original title on that. However, apart from the cost, I quite liked the idea of using printable DVDs where I could print a disk cover for the single title. An equivilent Blu-ray disc can fit about ten HD titles - which would make it rather impracticle to print an image on that represented the many titles.

This is more of a hobby than a requirement and I don't want to keep paying out every year to encode a few titles a year. It would not be cost effective. At the moment, my HD > SD (XP) > Transcode to AVCHD is giving sme good results, so I may not even worry about it now. It would just have been fun to try using the software to give it a go. :)

Lance.

Last edited:
Perhaps it was not clear in my previous post. You can't trial AnyDVD with BDAV. You have two choices:

. Trial with a BDMV
. Buy AnyDVD

Hi Mike,

You were clear ... but I thought I had been too. ;)

I will not buy something without seeing the results first. I have no intention to do any BDMV, but only BDAV. You may say that the results of doing a BDAV are the same as doing a BDMV, but without seeing the results myself, I would not risk paying for something that has no refund if I was not happy.

Thanks anyway.

Lance.

slysoft has been known to do refunds. just issue a support ticket and ask for James. He'll give you all the answers you seek

Hi Mike,

You were clear ... but I thought I had been too. ;)

I will not buy something without seeing the results first. I have no intention to do any BDMV, but only BDAV. You may say that the results of doing a BDAV are the same as doing a BDMV, but without seeing the results myself, I would not risk paying for something that has no refund if I was not happy.

Thanks anyway.

Lance.

We don't get very much BDAV discussion in the forums but we do from time to time and any problems end up resolved. Personally, I'd buy the product and test it. If you run into a problem I'd contact Slysoft support directly and ask for assistance and post in the forums including log files. If the problem cannot be resolved then I'd ask for a refund. I don't, however, feel you should run into any problem that cannot be resolved.

Limiting access to the Slysoft server for accessing keys exists for a reason. It's unfortunate when it causes problems but that's just the way it has to be.

I'll also point to this older thread: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=45351.

Last edited:
We don't get very much BDAV discussion in the forums but we do from time to time and any problems end up resolved. Personally, I'd buy the product and test it. If you run into a problem I'd contact Slysoft support directly and ask for assistance and post in the forums including log files. If the problem cannot be resolved then I'd ask for a refund. I don't, however, feel you should run into any problem that cannot be resolved.

Limiting access to the Slysoft server for accessing keys exists for a reason. It's unfortunate when it causes problems but that's just the way it has to be.

I'll also point to this older thread: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=45351.

Hi DrinkLyeAndDie,

That really is a very similar post. :)

OK, so before I consider buying this, I would just like to clarify something .... also asked in an earlier post:

1) If I stop updating the firmware on my recorder, will the latest version of AnyDVD be sufficient to last me for a "lifetime" even if I purchase only the year registration?

2) Is it the recorder or the broadcasting program that sets the version of the AACS?

As I say, I am not looking at doing any commercial blu-rays, only home recorded broadcasts TV programs.

Thanks in advance.

Lance.

Hi DrinkLyeAndDie,

That really is a very similar post. :)

OK, so before I consider buying this, I would just like to clarify something .... also asked in an earlier post:

I don't have any personal experience with BDAV but I'll try to answer your questions.

1) If I stop updating the firmware on my recorder, will the latest version of AnyDVD be sufficient to last me for a "lifetime" even if I purchase only the year registration?

If the player isn't updated via firmware then I'd expect the AACS encryption to remain unchanged and therefore I'd expect no problems using AnyDVD HD. Unfortunately, however, as with all of the newer standalone Blu-Ray devices there may come a time when you have no choice about updating the firmware and at that time you might have a problem which would require an update in AnyDVD HD (ie a newer AACS version than is currently supported by the versions of AnyDVD HD that you were licensed to use). I honestly cannot predict that.

2) Is it the recorder or the broadcasting program that sets the version of the AACS?

I believe it's device-based.

As I say, I am not looking at doing any commercial blu-rays, only home recorded broadcasts TV programs.

Thanks in advance.

Lance.

This is understood. I'll note, however, that there is no product on the market that just removes AACS on BDAV. To get one you have to also get the other.

Last edited:

AACS license require devices to refesh keys after 18 month which is maximum time it can be used after that it will revoked even if it is still valid. In other words you can have recorder and do not update but after 18 months AACS key must be refeshed. Which will also update AACS system.

Hi Adbear,

Surely the trial version of the AACS decryption for BDAV folders would have been up to date along with the AACS for BDMV wouldn't it?
No. For BDAV every user's disc has to be decrypted at least once on our computers. In other words, to decrypt every new BDAV disc you recorded you must let AnyDVD go online (which unfortunately doesn't work during trial).

But I guarantee you that it'll work. If it doesn't, you'll get your money back.

AACS license require devices to refesh keys after 18 month which is maximum time it can be used after that it will revoked even if it is still valid.
AFAIK this rule applies only to software players (which need to authenticate with an external drive).

It doesn't seem fair that you can't try something before you buy it? Tell this the local grocery store.... blah.

Anyway, we're in the progress of changing the trial process, and this will include BDAV testing (and IIRC I have posted this already some time ago).
Unfortunately good things will take time...

Hi All,

Many thanks to all who have replied to my questions and post.

I take on board what has been said about my recorder and AACS.

In the meanwhile, I have found a utility to do the job I need, which works just fine. It works similar to AnyDVD, but works with BDAV as well. With respect to AnyDVD forums, I won't advertise their competition, but can say that it works well.

Many Thanks again.

Lance.

Back