• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

lost my drive

fortworth

I Lost My Drive Today Also!

I have a HP dvd840. I upgraded to the latest AnyDvd. My drive will not read nor write discs. I tried rolling back to a restore point, tried going through the control panel to remove/add hardware. NOTHING. What happened with this release? What is being done? I know you are gonna tell me that there is another conflict, etc. etc. But I have not made any other system changes.

What the hell happened here? Please advise. I hope I didn't lose my drive by making a simple software upgrade!!!

No Disc is present in Drive G:!
HP DVD WRITER 840D HPD3 2006/05/10

That is all it says. I have tried blank media, burned media, and pre-recorded, off the shelf discs (like now, which is Disney's Aladdin) that we have bought.

a) Keep your license key file backed up safely
b) Uninstall Anydvd (start-->all programs-->Slysoft--->Anydvd-->Uninstall)
c) Reboot

Now does your drive see Aladdin?

Hi :)
I'm sorry your having problems. I can't see how AnyDVD could do this.
What happens if you uninstall AnyDVD (keeping your key safe)?
As you've tried system restore it seems unlikely that going back to an earlier version of AnyDVD is going to do anything.

lost my dvd drive

I uninstalled Anydvd. Rebooted. The drive does not see any discs. The drive DID see and DID burn discs before I made the switch to the latest (non-beta) Anydvd. It's a heck of a coincidence that there is another user in this forum that had the SAME THING happen after he upgraded. Sure, there are plenty in this forum with no issues like mine, but consider that there are many users that really have no idea that this forum exists...they just get the software and hope for the best.

Please consider what in the newest non-beta release that might have done this to my drive. It did happen to another forum user, so it is possible that this move did do something to the drive. I did try the drive on our laptop, installing drivers, etc. And it doesn't see, write, or read discs there either.

I feel that as more upgrade to the newest anydvd, there will be more that post here.

Help!
fortworth

I uninstalled Anydvd. Rebooted. The drive does not see any discs.

Then your issue has absolutely nothing to do with Anydvd. Period. It's not on your system; consequently, Anydvd can't affect anything.

In order for Anydvd to work, your drive must be working, and at this point, it isn't.

Anydvd is not responsible for 1) dead drives, 2) hardware failures in general, 3) bad original discs, 4) corrupt ide busmaster drivers, and 5) what drivers people have installed that cause conflicts within upper and lowerfilter stacks.

1. Test your drive in another system. It's possible your drive is dead.
2. Try a new cable wire for the drive (It's possible it went bad; ensure it's an 80 wire cable).
2. Does your Aladdin disc play on your standalone dvd players? Can it be read in another computer?
3. Do steps 3 and 4 from here (step 4 requires you to post information)

Regardless, at this point, Anydvd has nothing to do with your problem.

Last edited:
lost my dvd drive

I only used Aladdin here as an example, of course I tried other discs (burned, store bought, etc.)

Here is the information you requested:
Filter Check Tool v3.4

An Upper Filter found is: GEARAspiWDM
Filterdriver properties are:

An Upper Filter found is: Cdralw2k

A Lower Filter found is: ElbyDelay
Name: ElbyDelay
Caption: ElbyDelay
Description: ElbyDelay
AcceptPause: False
AcceptStop: True
DesktopInteract: False
DisplayName: ElbyDelay
ErrorControl: Normal
ExitCode: 0
PathName: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\ElbyDelay.sys
Version Info: 5.1.0.1
ServiceSpecificExitCode: 0
ServiceType: Kernel Driver
Started: True
StartMode: Manual
StartName:
State: Running
TagId: 0

A Lower Filter found is: PxHelp20
Name: PxHelp20
Caption: PxHelp20
Description: PxHelp20
DisplayName: PxHelp20
PathName: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\PxHelp20.sys
Version Info: 3.0.43.9
StartMode: Boot
StartName:
TagId: 7

A Lower Filter found is: Afc
Name: Afc
Caption: PPdus ASPI Shell
Description: PPdus ASPI Shell
DisplayName: PPdus ASPI Shell
PathName: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\Afc.sys
Version Info: 1.0.0.2
StartName:

A Lower Filter found is: Pfc
Name: pfc
Caption: Padus ASPI Shell
Description: Padus ASPI Shell
DisplayName: Padus ASPI Shell
PathName: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\pfc.sys
Version Info: 2.5.0.201
StartName:

StartName:

StartName:

A Lower Filter found is: Cdr4_xp
Name: Cdr4_xp
Caption: Cdr4_xp
Description: Cdr4_xp
AcceptStop: False
DisplayName: Cdr4_xp
ExitCode: 31
PathName: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\Cdr4_xp.sys
Version Info: 8.0.0.212
Started: False
StartMode: System
StartName:
State: Stopped
TagId: 6

Wow, what an absolute mess.

An Upper Filter found is: Cdralw2k

Cdralw2k - Used by Roxio Easy Media Creator, WinOnCD 6

A Lower Filter found is: Afc

Arcsoft Photo impressions (and possibly other Arcsoft software)

This needs to go.

Padus ASPI Shell filter driver. Comes with Nero 6.x/7.x.x if you choose to install it, comes with WinDVD Creator, it comes with DiscJuggler and it comes with NVIDIA Purevideo decoder.

Normally, I would consider pfc.sys not to be an issue, but you have it listed 3 times. It should be listed only once--or not at all.

A Lower Filter found is: Cdr4_xp
Used by Roxio Easy Media Creator, WinOnCD 6, DragtoDisc and DirectCD.

Cdr4_XP, in particular, is really bad news and needs to go. Dragtodisc and directcd are examples of packet writing software.
Learn to use dvd-ram instead if you want that type of functionality. Packet writing software is horrible.

1. Uninstall the software that installed the filters I quoted. After uninstalling, ensure the four entries I quoted are no longer listed in your filters. PFC should be fine if it's listed once. There's an issue if it's listed three times.

2. Run a registry cleaner program at this point like CCleaner (it's a free program).

Last edited:
an absolute mess

Webslinger,

I will proceed with your suggestions, but I gotta admit that your description of it being "an absolute mess" seemed a bit condescending. I am not an IT professional. I am not an employee of "Geek Squad." I am an end user of software and hardware. I am a professional photographer and videographer, and not an advanced user like yourself, but certainly not a novice.

I will forge ahead with your suggestions, but I know what I know, which is that myself and another user had the same issue after this recent anydvd upgrade. I didn't install anything else, nor were there antivirus or microsoft updates installed, as I configure that all must be triggered by me agreeing to those installs. I appreciate your help, but please know that I am not just poking around under the hood, slapping at regedit entries, or installing random "screen savers" I got in emails.

Filters

Webslinger is correct. There is not a problem with AnyDVD. You are having a software conflict between AnyDVD and Drag-to-Disc, DirectCD or another application trying to gain access to your drive at the same time. I have Cdralw2k in my UpperFilters and don't have a problem, but the Cdr4_xp has to go. It is with Roxio Drag to Disc. The Roxio suite is OK, I have it also, but remove Drag-to-Disc. You can use Creator Classic instead.

Another poster had a problem with afc on their system 2-3 days ago, so that probably is a problem also. You might try them one at a time to see which it is.

And welcome to the forum, by the way. I assume you are a fellow Texan.

Last edited:
but I gotta admit that your description of it being "an absolute mess" seemed a bit condescending

It was an honest reaction. My description was not a judgment of your intelligence or anything else.
And I am not here because of my "bedside manner".

The people that help you in the forums, with the exception of Slysoft employees, are not getting paid to help people. They are doing it because they enjoy helping.

I am not an employee of "Geek Squad."

No offense to the geek squad, but I would not place Best Buy's hired out techs on any pedestal.

I will forge ahead with your suggestions, but I know what I know, which is that myself and another user had the same issue after this recent anydvd upgrade.

And I (on more three systems) and thousands of other users oddly have had no issues.

And quite frankly your attitude is enough to make we want to stop helping you. When I ask people for help, it's not because I know better than they do what the problem is.

Last edited:
Webslinger is correct. There is not a problem with AnyDVD. You are having a software conflict between AnyDVD and Drag-to-Disc, DirectCD or another application trying to gain access to your drive at the same time.

Except this individual no longer has Anydvd on his system, and the drive still isn't working. So while the messed up filters could still be an issue, another possibility is that the drive is failing.

didn't think i had an attitude problem, websling...

I know you get plenty of entries from users that don't know jack freaking squat about how to use their system. I didn't want my help to be under that guise, that's all.

All I wanted to point out was that I found it interesting that another fella had the same problem. Maybe if we knew what his issues were, and if they were similiar to my issues, then we would both be in better waters.

Thanks for your assistance so far, it is appreciated.

I know you get plenty of entries from users that don't know jack freaking squat about how to use their system. I didn't want my help to be under that guise, that's all.

I'm not calling you stupid. I'm not judging you. Honestly, I just looked at your filters, and thought, "wow, what a mess". That doesn't mean I thought you were unintelligent. That was my honest knee-jerk reaction. Some days I walk into my room or study area, and say, "wow, what a mess!". That doesn't mean I think I'm stupid . . .

That just means I got a lot of papers all over the place. Similarly, you seem to have a lot of software on your system that installed a lot of filter entries in your registry.

All I wanted to point out was that I found it interesting that another fella had the same problem. Maybe if we knew what his issues were, and if they were similiar to my issues, then we would both be in better waters.

A number of people in the past have had similar issues. I and others here either fixed their problem--or it was discovered their drives were dead.

The thing is if I had a problem with photography, and asked you for help, I wouldn't sit there and presume to think my camera was at fault (unless you told me that was the case). I'm telling you your issue has nothing to do with Anydvd.

Webslinger,

I will proceed with your suggestions, but I gotta admit that your description of it being "an absolute mess" seemed a bit condescending. I am not an IT professional. I am not an employee of "Geek Squad." I am an end user of software and hardware. I am a professional photographer and videographer, and not an advanced user like yourself, but certainly not a novice.

One thing that all people need to understand when it comes to software on computers is that programmers cannot possibly with 100% certainty predict compatibility issues when their software is installed on all systems. There is simply no way for them to know every software program, driver, or what hardware combinations that comprise the system of the person installing their software. As much as possible is generally done but there are some companies out there (ie Roxio) who are known to do things poorly.

AnyDVD cannot cause physical damage or the death of a DVD drive but it's possible there's a compatibility problem and this likely is. As such, Webslinger gave you a checklist to run through. This checklist has, in fact, solved a lot of peoples' problems hence why it exists.

Quite a few people do have similar problems but in the end I would say that 90% of people reporting problems end up having some form or packet writing software installed and once it is removed the problem vanishes. Nero InCD shouldn't, to my knowledge cause problems, but I highly discourage its use on any system even if a person doesn't use AnyDVD. As for Roxio software... I cannot condone or recommend its use and I was, at one time, a registered customer of theirs many years ago.

A quick glance through the forums and a bit of searching and all of the issues discussed in this thread will show up at one point or another along with the methodology to try and resolve the problem. Many [but not all] people simply refuse to do any reading first. The people who do offer help are doing so on their own behalf for no other reason than to maybe get that warm happy fuzzy feeling inside they help a person solve a problem.

Just keep in mind that it can be just as frustrating helping a person, at times, as it is being a person who is having a problem, themselves. :) And, no, this entire post is not meant as an insult, lecture, or some form of chastising.

And, just for the record, I've used AnyDVD since October 7th, 2003 and never had a problem installing or upgrading. This includes all the betas released to the public.

Hopefully your problem is resolved soon and you can get back to exercising your Fair Use rights and backing up your legally owned & purchased DVDs! :D

PS: I'm not offering assistance because too many cooks in the kitchen can be a very bad thing. :)

Last edited:
so now with filter check...

i want to see where i am at, so i can post that information here. by the way, in your post where you mention the software that installed those drivers...i didn't have most of that software on my system to begin with.

when i launch filter check now, it flashes on the screen very quickly, and then closes...i cannot see it post the information to you.

if i were to visit the registry, what would you like to see?

thanks!

AnyDVD cannot cause physical damage or the death of a DVD drive but it's possible there's a compatibility problem and this likely is.

Anydvd isn't even installed on the OP's system currently, and the drive still can't read anything.
So I would like anyone to explain to me how Anydvd is the issue when it's not even installed on the computer.

PS: I'm not offering assistance because too many cooks in the kitchen can be a very bad thing. :)

Pfff :p

Go ahead and cook. :)

Last edited:
when i launch filter check now, it flashes on the screen very quickly, and then closes...i cannot see it post the information to you.

I think that's normal. I believe a text file called filters.log is created (probably in the same location as filtercheck.exe is run from) containing the filter information, which you can then copy and paste into your next reply here.

if i were to visit the registry, what would you like to see?

Click Start, Run
type regedit
Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current Control Set\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

We want what's listed in "LowerFilters" and "UpperFilters". List your Lowerfilters and Upperfilters in your next post.

Last edited:
Hi :)
fortworth welcome onboard. :clap:
I have a suggestion for you.
Try AdvancedWindowsCare v2 Personal:
It can & has helped many with erasing needless or duplicate links. It not only removes but repairs links etc too.
Give this a try.
I've used it for a long time without any 'side affects' :D

Back