• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Apocolypto R2 question about how Anydvd ripper works

Webslinger

Retired Moderator
continued from here

Anydvd ripper (for Blu-rays) always does a linear read from start to end, just like a player would do.

Hi Peer (or James),

As you may be aware of the Apocalypto R2 issue (dvd-video, not Blu-Ray nor HD-DVD), do you know if any-dvd ripper, as it applies to regular dvd-videos, also does a linear read "from start to end, just like a player would do"?

The reason I ask is because a German program (and I can't read or speak German, so the website doesn't help me figure out how it works), dvd2dvd-r, appears to handle Apocalypto R2 with Anydvd running in the background. SamuriHL speculates here that the reason dvd2dvd-r works is because "this program reads the disc like a DVD player would and copies the titlesets in that manner". If Anydvd ripper functions in the same manner for dvd-videos it seems to me that Anydvd ripper should also work with Apocalypto R2.

My apologies for asking a question that has nothing to do with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. But I figured you might know the answer since you mentioned what I quoted above.

I suspect Anydvd ripper works quite a bit differently for regular dvd-videos though (with Clonedvd code).

Just wondering . . .

My apologies also if you can't answer my question because it would reveal too much information about how anydvd ripper works.

Last edited:
I don't know how much they'll want to answer on this one but from my own observations about CloneDVD and the AnyDVD ripper it rips per titleset. :) I'm quite sure they don't use the UDF file system to read the files. My gut feeling tells me that the current problem with this particular title is a bug in the ripping code and nothing more. I could be wrong...I don't think it's a design issue at all....I think they're already doing the right things under the covers. Hence CloneDVD's almost legendary ability to work when others fail. ;)

I don't know how much they'll want to answer on this one but from my own observations about CloneDVD and the AnyDVD ripper it rips per titleset.

Yeah, that's what I think as well.

The reason I ask is because a German program (and I can't read or speak German, so the website doesn't help me figure out how it works), dvd2dvd-r, appears to handle Apocalypto R2 with Anydvd running in the background. SamuriHL speculates here that the reason dvd2dvd-r works is because "this program reads the disc like a DVD player would and copies the titlesets in that manner". If Anydvd ripper functions in the same manner for dvd-videos it seems to me that Anydvd ripper should also work with Apocalypto R2.

I think, the phrase "like a DVD player" refers to the fact that this program (probably) doesn't use the file system to access individual files, but reads "sectorwise". (a DVD player doesn't "see" the directory structure like you do through the UDF file system).

I think, the phrase "like a DVD player" refers to the fact that this program (probably) doesn't use the file system to access individual files, but reads "sectorwise". (a DVD player doesn't "see" the directory structure like you do through the UDF file system).

That was my thought, too...

Thank you for the information. As protect-dvd doesn't play nice with the udf file system your explanation makes sense.

I'm afraid DVD2DVD-R isn't that perfect. It manages to rip the main movie which is title 2, but it failes to rip the bonus material (title 9) on Apocalypto. For some reason the protection is too much at this point and maybe it's just a fortunate coincidence that the movie isn't affected by that.

Well, hang in there. Once Slysoft gets a copy of the movie you can be rest assured that they'll fix whatever problem there is with AnyDVD.

I haven't really followed this particular title's issues...what happens when you rip just the main movie's titleset with CloneDVD? I recall something about audio problems perhaps?

I only tried CloneDVD in conjunction with AnyDVD and since AnyDVD isn't able to remove the protection from Apocalypto, CloneDVD keeps telling me that the DVD is protected and can not be copied. I used DVD2DVD-R with DVD43 running in background and on the main movie it worked fine this way.

DVD43 is about as useless as you can get, IMO. If you have both AnyDVD and DVD43 installed on the same system it can cause conflicts. So CloneDVD says that the disc is still protected...that's quite interesting. I'm liking this "protection" less and less. It's a complete corruption of the DVD structure and should not be allowed.

Many people report success with dvd2dvd-r and dvd43. I think dvd2dvd-rtakes the part to handle the structure while dvd43 just cares about CSS.
I hate this "playback- protection". ;-)

Many people report success with dvd2dvd-r and dvd43. I think dvd2dvd-rtakes the part to handle the structure while dvd43 just cares about CSS.

In that case, has anyone tried unchecking the "Copy protection based on unreadable sectors" checkbox in AnyDVD and trying DVD2DVD-R with AnyDVD in that case? Just curious if that works.

Possible, don't know. Will ask in the german section.

DVD43 is about as useless as you can get, IMO. If you have both AnyDVD and DVD43 installed on the same system it can cause conflicts. So CloneDVD says that the disc is still protected...that's quite interesting. I'm liking this "protection" less and less. It's a complete corruption of the DVD structure and should not be allowed.

Agree, it's more damage than protection. No player is able to get this disk under control. I even tried to watch it with a player under Linux, using the great libdvdcss - no cance!
But I think here in Germany it is possible to reclaim the DVD for not being able to playback it with your custom DVD player which a player software on your PC actually is. This already happened some years ago with the first protected audio CDs, when people couldn't use it on their old CD players.
Concerning DVD43, I can't really say if it's useless or not. Maybe I should have tried to just rip the movie with DVD2DVD-R and nothing else. But AnyDVD and DVD43 can't conflict each other since I turned off the autostart and run them manually only 1 at a time.

Last edited:
@SamuriHL: When the option "Copy protection based on unreadable sectors" is unchecked, the warning is still show.
Anyway it is reported that it works now with dvdfab 3.1.2.5 Beta.

Thanks for testing that. What a wonderful "protection" they've come up with...

Just use AnyDVD 6.1.5.9 or better and you're ok. :D
At the moment you will have to use AnyDVD ripper, an updated CloneDVD will be released soon.

I don't know how much they'll want to answer on this one but from my own observations about CloneDVD and the AnyDVD ripper it rips per titleset. :) I'm quite sure they don't use the UDF file system to read the files. My gut feeling tells me that the current problem with this particular title is a bug in the ripping code and nothing more. I could be wrong...I don't think it's a design issue at all....I think they're already doing the right things under the covers. Hence CloneDVD's almost legendary ability to work when others fail. ;)
AnyDVD ripper uses (as CloneDVD) the filesystem to access the disc.
AnyDVD core modifies the UDF structures so you can access the files through explorer. This is the right way to do, as you probably want to *watch* the original disc with your shiny multimedia PC using Zoom Player or TheaterTek.
A lot of these protected discs don't even play on the PC without AnyDVD running.

continued from here
I suspect Anydvd ripper works quite a bit differently for regular dvd-videos though (with Clonedvd code).
It does. The "linearity problem" with HD DVD / Blu-ray discs does not apply to standard DVDs.
AnyDVD ripper uses the filesystem for DVDs, it uses its own UDF reader for Blu-ray / HD DVD discs (as there is no UDF2.5 shipping with XP).
AnyDVD core works below the filesystem, so it uses its own UDF parser.

Back