• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

6155 version: PROBLEMS Pans Labrynth, Letters Iwo Jima

simmerin

I made complete "Clone DVD" copies using AnyDVD 6155 and Clone 2908.
  1. Pans Labrynth: copied disc - but when I re-inserted the disc in the computer the drive seized up and the computer had to be restarted. When I inserted into my panasonic DVD player the disc worked but there was no audio despite trying all audio options on menu.
  2. Letters From Iwo Jima: appears to play fine in computer but seized up in my panasonic DVD player - had to unplug then eject movie on power-up.

I have recently started cloning the full disc instead of copying the main movie with titles. I don't know if this is the cause of the problem or if something is wrong with the above software version.

Also, I tested both my computer drive and DVD player with other commercial and earlier AnyDVD/CloneDVD recordings and have experienced no problems.

Pan's Labyrinth has no protection on it other than CSS, so the issue isn't Anydvd.
And as the backup for Letters From Iwo Jima worked in your computer, both Anydvd and Clonedvd worked perfectly fine.

Answer these questions fully (especially 5, 6, 7, and 8 for both discs)

By the way, Anydvd has absolutely nothing to do with burning issues.

Last edited:
While I'm not a mind reader (answering the questions I asked would help), following these guidelines will likely resolve your issue (keep in mind no English soundtrack exists for either of these titles):

1. Update your burner's firmware (if available)
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=12794&postcount=10
2. Use good quality media (Memorex, Ritek, Princo, Fuji, TDK from Costco, and Maxell that are not made in Japan are not good quality media)
If you use poor quality blank media, then you should expect problems. Use Taiyo Yuden Premium, Verbatim, Maxell Plus, or Maxell Broadcast Quality
visit http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4764653&postcount=25
and
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3976250
3. Try lowering your burn speed (not below 4x; if you have a 16x burner and 16x rated media try writing to it at 12x instead of 16x; an 8x burn speed on 16x rated media wouldn't be a bad idea either)
4. If you're using +R, +RW, or +R DL media, change the booktype to "dvd-rom"
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 (step 3)
5. Avoid sticker labels (they tend to cause problems)
6. Try setting a custom size of 4300 in Clonedvd (but if you're using good media, you shouldn't have to) if you're using regular single layer dvd-5 (4.7GB) discs.

Bad burn quality is notorious around the end of discs (see step 6)
and also at layer breaks when using low quality DL media (use Verbatim +R DL media, and change the booktype to "dvd-rom)

Also, check the preview screen in Clonedvd to ensure you're backing up the proper title.

read http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 fully please

When I inserted into my panasonic DVD player the disc worked but there was no audio despite trying all audio options on menu.

Ensure you backup all the audio tracks in clonedvd. The main track in Pan's Labyrinth is Spanish dts 6.1; your system might not be capable of playing dts.

You are right about not being a mind reader. The fact is that I've been using the same media (CompUSA) and same firmware since I originally purchased AnyDVD and CloneDVD in November of 2005 so that is not the issue.

Pans Labyrinth recorded with no audio in the main title though there was audio for the main menu. CloneDVD showed the audio track as "unknown." There were no stated errors in the copying process. Considering the copy of this disc locked up my computer DVD drive and played without audio in my DVD player it sure sounds like a software issue to me. One does not have to be a mind reader to draw that conclusion.

As for Letters from Iwo Jima, it caused my DVD player to seize up, a problem I can't replicate with any other disc. Again, this seems like a software issue. I haven't had any problems until now. I bring raise these concerns so they can be addressed by the Slysoft programmers.

You are right about not being a mind reader. The fact is that I've been using the same media (CompUSA) and same firmware since I originally purchased AnyDVD and CloneDVD in November of 2005 so that is not the issue.

Yes, it is. Update your firmware and use something decent.

Compusa doesn't mean anything (except what you're using is probably inferior blank media). It's possible you also aren't using the same discs. It's possible that company is using a new source for its discs than it did previously. You might want to check media codes.

Regardless, there is a compatibility issue between the discs you are using now, your burner, and your standalone dvd players.

Bad quality blank media can vary in results from disc to disc, even within the same spindle. With good blank media you can play "find the bad blank" game. With inferior quality blank media you get to play "find the blank that works" game. And even when inferior blank media does work, you can play the "will my backups still play after 6 months (or even after two years)" game.

Try Taiyo Yuden Premiums and upgrade your firmware

And with +R media, please ensure you're changing the booktype to "dvd-rom". Doing so improves the likelyhood of being able to playback the blank media properly in standalone dvd players.

Again, this seems like a software issue.

No, it's not. Only people with user error issues are having problems.

I own Pan's Labyrinth. I have no issues whatsoever. Again, there is so little protection on it, dvdshrink can handle it by itself without anydvd running in the background.

Oddly, this sounds familiar (and in that case it appears to be a standalone dvd player issue), but given that you're using inferior quality blank media it's difficult to ascertain whether your standalone dvd player is also incapable of playing the DTS audio track

As you can see, Pan's Labryinth is no trouble at all for Anydvd/Clonedvd.

And as you can also see, there are no issues with Iwo Jima

If you don't want to believe that using good blank media makes sense or that updating your firmware may help, then the remaining option, provided nothing else has changed on your system, is that your burner is slowly dying.

Last edited:
Oddly, this sounds familiar (and in that case it's a standalone dvd player issue)

I forgot to update that original thread. It took me awhile before I discovered the problem.

Long story short this ended up being a combination of me thinking there is an issue between the APEX player and the remastering option to Enable auto-selection for removed streams and my getting two different backups mixed up: one with DTS audio and one without DTS. The remastering option is noted to possibly confuse a DVD player so I can't blame it. In the end the biggest problem was user error on my part.

So, I don't think my self-caused problem applies here.

Point well taken on using good media. However, that still doesn't explain the Pans Labyrinth audio track showing as "unknown" in CloneDVD and then copying with no audio present in the main movie.

The sign of bad media or a bad drive is a disc that's unplayable, has glitches, gets stuck on playback etc. If it copies perfectly without error and then is missing the main audio track, that points to a software issue.

I assume others posting here don't work for Slysoft? Is the best channel for reporting bugs and issues submitting a support request on the main website?

Thanks

still doesn't explain the Pans Labyrinth audio track showing as "unknown" in CloneDVD

Clonedvd doesn't show anything unknown, with the exception of a single unspecified subtitle selection for Pan's Labryinth (but that's not audio). I just checked.

Clonedvd reports, "Spanish DTS/6, Spanish Dolby AC-3/6, French Dolby AC-3/2, and English Dolby AC-3/2 director's comments".

You are using Clonedvd 2.9.0.8, right?

It would be one thing if I could reproduce your issue, but I can't. In fact, no one has.

Do you have a bad original disc?

1. Do step 8 from here please, so we can see what you're using.

2. Scan the original disc with VSO inspector. It's a free program. If that program reports read errors either the original disc is bad or your drive is dying.

and then copying with no audio present in the main movie.

I strongly suspect Clonedvd did copy the audio (provided you selected it) and that your choice of bad media is presenting the problem.

The sign of bad media or a bad drive is a disc that's unplayable

simmerin . . . earlier said:
when I re-inserted the disc in the computer the drive seized up and the computer had to be restarted

has glitches, gets stuck on playback etc.

simmerin . . . earlier said:
appears to play fine in computer but seized up in my panasonic DVD player

If it copies perfectly without error and then is missing the main audio track, that points to a software issue.

Not if 1) you're using inferior quality blank media and 2) if the backup is also completely unplayable on your computer as well . . .

I assume others posting here don't work for Slysoft? Is the best channel for reporting bugs and issues submitting a support request on the main website?

This isn't a bug. No one except you is having this issue.

People posting on thses forums do work for Slysoft, and I can contact them (and I usually do, when I know there is a bug).

However, Slysoft is not the official developer of Clonedvd. Elaborate Bytes is.

And this isn't a bug.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. I will download VSO inspector and experiment with different media. However, I can't help but wonder if Elaborate Bytes is having trouble keeping up with modern encryption techniques and is perhaps blaming blank media and DVD writers for these problems.

Thanks for your input. I will download VSO inspector and experiment with different media. However, I can't help but wonder if Elaborate Bytes is having trouble keeping up with modern encryption techniques and is perhaps blaming blank media and DVD writers for these problems.

Again, there is absolutely no protection on Pan's Labyrinth other than css (which is on almost all commercial releases by default). There's nothing remotely interesting about Pan's Labyrinth in terms of protection. Dvdshrink can handle Pan's Labyrinth by itself (that says a lot about how much protection is on Pan's Labyrinth).

Can you at least do step 8 please?
Thanks

Elabotate Bytes does not deal with encryptions or for that matter, decryptions....:)

The audio is probally there, you may just need to change the audio setting on your dvd player. That fixed it for me. My dvd player wouldn't recognize the DTS was my problem. Good luck...

Okay - credit where credit is due. I ran a VSO Inspector scan on my back-up of Pan's Labyrinth and not only was the read process very slow but several read errors and bad sectors were encountered along the way. I suppose this does point to bad media. Running the same test on successful back-ups was speedy and revealed no errors.

Okay - credit where credit is due. I ran a VSO Inspector scan on my back-up of Pan's Labyrinth and not only was the read process very slow but several read errors and bad sectors were encountered along the way. I suppose this does point to bad media. Running the same test on successful back-ups was speedy and revealed no errors.

1. Update your burner's firmware (if available)
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=12794&postcount=10
2. Use good quality media (Memorex, Ritek, Princo, Fuji, TDK from Costco, and Maxell that are not made in Japan are not good quality media)
If you use poor quality blank media, then you should expect problems. Use Taiyo Yuden Premium, Verbatim, Maxell Plus, or Maxell Broadcast Quality
visit http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4764653&postcount=25
and
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3976250
3. Try lowering your burn speed (not below 4x; if you have a 16x burner and 16x rated media try writing to it at 12x instead of 16x; an 8x burn speed on 16x rated media wouldn't be a bad idea either)
4. If you're using +R, +RW, or +R DL media, change the booktype to "dvd-rom"
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 (step 3)
5. Avoid sticker labels (they tend to cause problems)
6. Try setting a custom size of 4300 in Clonedvd (but if you're using good media, you shouldn't have to) if you're using regular single layer dvd-5 (4.7GB) discs.

Bad burn quality is notorious around the end of discs (see step 6)
and also at layer breaks when using low quality DL media (use Verbatim +R DL media, and change the booktype to "dvd-rom)

You may want to test the original retail disc for read errors as well.

Last edited:
I finally checked the original Pan's Labyrinth. This was user error. When cloning the complete disc in Clone DVD the default setting, at least in my case, is main audio track unchecked. On the second go around I selected or checked the audio track and experienced no problems.

When cloning the complete disc in Clone DVD the default setting, at least in my case, is main audio track unchecked. On the second go around I selected or checked the audio track and experienced no problems.

I'm glad it's working for you. As for selecting the audio track, that was one of the first things I mentioned back here

Pan's Labyrinth audio 'problem'

Pan's Labyrinth is in a foreign language. I had a similar problem and thought that I had a problem with the source disk. Later, I discovered that there is no English audio. It's in a foreign language (spanish i think...I never took the time to find out), but it's subtitled.

Back