• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AVCHD encoding

HD43

Anyone successfully converted HD-DVD files to AVCHD with Nero and retained full 5.1 sound?

I guess not...

with PS3's new update these converted files could be streamed from your computer HDD to the PS3 and to your TV or proj.

In theory.

With streaming in mind, I tried to author some AVCHD files with the latest NeroVision. Unfortunately the bugger keeps on crashing, and has yet to produce a single AVCHD file.

Is that a program glitch or your set-up?

Would be neat to stream HD-DVD converted to AVCHD to the PS3.

Fry's have the Nero 7 enhanced to $70 with a $50 rebate right now so I'm off to get one and try it out.

No HD movie left behind. :agree:

Honestly, I don't see the point in re-encoding stuff. All current video codecs are by nature lossy, which means that every encoding diminishes image quality.

Anyway, I uninstalled Nero 7, cleaned registry and re-installed it and managed to encode a short video clip to AVCHD. The re-encode took forever with the best possible quality settings on a non-overclocked C2D E6400. Burned the result on a DVD and placed the disc in PS3, which sees it as a data disc. You can, however, navigate to STREAM directory and play files there individually. The result looked pretty good.

MediaHome is unable to stream AVCHD content, it seems.

Honestly, I don't see the point in re-encoding stuff. All current video codecs are by nature lossy, which means that every encoding diminishes image quality.

The point is that most movies are in 1080p and not all TV's play in 1080p If you rencode you can then backup your disk to a standard DVD at only 720p resolution and you don't lose any quality at all and it still fits on a normal DVD disc.

That's a bitch.

Someone on the PS3 forum said they could stream AVCHD from their PC.

The point is that it will allow HD-DVD to be watched on your PS3 so you don't have to hook up your computer to your TV or Proj through a hub or whatever to play from your PC.

The alternative is an ext HDD to PS3.

The point is that most movies are in 1080p and not all TV's play in 1080p If you rencode you can then backup your disk to a standard DVD at only 720p resolution and you don't lose any quality at all and it still fits on a normal DVD disc.
You lose only half of the resolution. Do the math. 1920x1080 pixels <> 1280x720 pixels. And again, all video encoding codecs are by nature lossy, i.e. they throw something away every time. You might not notice it, especially on a small screen, but every re-encode loses some quality.

Last edited:
The point is that it will allow HD-DVD to be watched on your PS3 so you don't have to hook up your computer to your TV or Proj through a hub or whatever to play from your PC.
Wow. That's a hell of a lot of work. I just place the HD DVD in a HD DVD player and watch the movie. Oh, and why would you need a hub? Just put the HD DVD disc in the HD DVD drive which is connected to your PC. Why the need to rip discs to a HDD and try to view them with PS3? The effort spent in ripping and re-encoding/transcoding has to be greater than connecting your PC to a TV or a projector.

Last edited:
We're not all loaded with cash like you Colin.

Point is this avoids the need for HD burners and HD blank media.

Your entire HD collection could be streamed to your PS3.

I just reencoded a 720p WMV of Amazon to AVC 720p, burned it to DVD, played it on my PS3 and projected it on a big movie screen and it looks as good as the Blu Ray Planet Earth series.

There's nothing in it, seriously.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/9755.cfm

Also, try downloading the latest Nero 7 update that was released a few days ago.

Most people's DVD collection wil consist of recoded DVDs via Shrink or Clone or Recode anyway. A HD or BD could be spread across multiple DVDs (Recode does this automatically)

Last edited:
We're not all loaded with cash like you Colin.
I'm not loaded with cash, and there's no need to be, either. If one has a fast PC for re-encoding, it's more than likely fast enough for HD/BD playback. A HD DVD drive is less than $200.

Point is this avoids the need for HD burners and HD blank media.
I still don't get it. You have the disc right there in front of you. Why the need for burners and blank media?

I just reencoded a 720p WMV of Amazon to AVC 720p, burned it to DVD, played it on my PS3 and projected it on a big movie screen and it looks as good as the Blu Ray Planet Earth series.
BD Planet Earth is full 1080p rez and it's a direct source high bitrate multipass encode. You're comparing that to a low bitrate WMV-sourced 720p re-encode on large projection screen, no less. Honestly, if you can't see a difference, you need to get your eyes checked.

Most people's DVD collection wil consist of recoded DVDs via Shrink or Clone or Recode anyway.
I certainly hope that's not true. My collection most certainly doesn't. Neither does any of my friends' collections. Perhaps it's only your buddies who've stooped to that level.

What's with the hostility, Colin?

I would like to think Slysoft created AnyDVD HD version so people are able to view their legally purchased BD/HD media on non-HDCP equipment - and only for that.

Amazon WMV is free to download by even you my friend.

Courtesy of Microsoft.

I would like to think Slysoft created AnyDVD HD version so people are able to view their legally purchased BD/HD media on non-HDCP equipment - and only for that.

Well, no, not only.
It is also made for people owning an HTPC and who want to have their movies on HDD, so they can simply browse their movies with the RC and don't have to keep swapping (HD-)DVDs.
Or for people who like backup copies for safety (scratches are more dangerous than ever with HD/BD).
Or for people who have equipment in their living room and in the bedroom, who want to have their most precious movies in both.
Or... well, there are several reasons - some not yet "doable", due to the lack of transcoders and such...

Has anyone reencoded a HD-DVD file to AVCHD using Nero 7 ultra edition enhanced (May 21 update) recode?

Do you know if Nero 7 accepts this file type to recode?

(Colin don't answer)

That's a bitch.

Someone on the PS3 forum said they could stream AVCHD from their PC.

The alternative is an ext HDD to PS3.

I keep seeing people wanting and trying to stream HD video from their PC, but you must realize that you're at the mercy of the PC's playback capacity and resources in addition to the program doing the streaming. And don't forget your LAN connection. If you get a true media server for HD playback, then you got something going, but you could just take that money and buy a BD burner, burn a BD disc with no issues or limitations. Just a thought.

Back