• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Best Use of AnyDVD (for me, at least...)

J-Mac

Hello all. I haven't posted here very much -- a couple questions here and there, IIRC. But I have been using the combination of AnyDVD and Clone DVD for more than three years to back up my DVDs, usually with great success.

My only problem is that because I AM using AnyDVD and CloneDVD, I have never needed to learn very much about the actual processes involved in ripping and burning. It has always been so darned simplified for me with these applications that I never saw the need to take the time to learn all that is available.

But I really would like to learn more about the mechanics of ripping/burning. I have been reading an immense number of forum posts here, at CDFreaks, and at VideoHelp. Of ocurse you can't really learn, though, until you start doing what you are trying to learn about, and of course..........asking questions.

So here are some questions about items for which that I am trying to get a better understanding. Some are probably pretty stupid sounding; if so, just tell me -- please just don't try to rip my head off or anything, because I am trying to keep the really stupid questions to myself!! ;) Also, if asking a number of questions in one post is poor protocol here, let me know and I will quickly break them off into separate threads. OK? Well, here goes!

First, I am using a custom Falcon Northwest PC running XP SP2 (Professional) w/specs as follow:
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
  • Corsair Twin2X 2048 MB (2 GB) RAM
  • Two optical drives: a SONY DVD RW DRU-820A for burning, and a SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615 for reading. The burner's firmware is Version 1.0b, though 1.0c was out earlier this year. In looking to update mine, however, it appeared that the F/W rev was purely to address an issue where some folks' 820A writers were not recognizing media at all. I asked Sony tech support about that and they confirmed & told me if I was not having such an issue to stick with 1.0b. So I did.
  • I think that's all that's pertinent, but if not let me know and I'll post the rest of my specs.

I have a number of applications on my PC that have DVD burning capability, but I never run more than one. I do not allow any of their packet writing engines to be loaded in the background, as I know that can wreak havoc with other apps. However I do understand that having multiple apps that can perform the same functions can still cause conflists, fighting over control of drivers and libraries, etc., so can anyone tell me if there are likely to be conflicts with the following apps installed on the same PC:

• CloneDVD2 2.9.0.4
  • AnyDVD
  • Nero 7.5 Ultra Edition (INCD NOT installed)
  • Roxio Easy Media Creator 8.1
  • Ulead DVD MovieFactory 3 SE (A special, "lite" OEM version that came with my Hauppauge TV Tuner card)
  • Intervideo WinDVD (Also supplied w/ the TV card)

Two more applications -- and maybe more -- come with the capability of burning their own data to DVD. While I do not use those capabilities, could these cause any conflicts:

• Acronis True Image Home 10 (Backup disk imaging - can burn to DVD)
  • SimpleStar PhotoDeluxe (Creates great Flash photo slideshows with special effects and super transitions, I think claims to allow self-burning to DVD)

I know that some of those have a lot of overlapping features, but I use each for different functions. E.g., editing audio tracks is done in Nero using Nero Mix, Nero SoundTrax. Roxio primarily for self-made DVD authoring, and also for the ability to burn recorded TV to DVD. I could do without Ulead, but it came already setup to convert and burn the TV programs recorded from the TV Tuner and I have been too lazy to reconfigure it all! (At one time only Sonic - now Roxio - could convert and burn the Microsoft Recorded TV format: ms-dvr I think, though now others can accomplish it).

Am I likely causing conflicts with all of these installed on my PC? I realize that I could most likely use other smaller apps to accomplish those features, but I have found I like certain modules of both Nero and Roxio - though I would love a chance to do away with both!

For DVD movie backups, I have never used anything but AnyDVD and Clone DVD. I did go through a stretch several months ago where I could make only coasters. I tried to get help at CDFreaks but got someone who was, though a long time poster there, in a bad mood I guess and he not very helpful. Rather offensive at times! I was using Ritek media because at one time it was recommended at VideoHelp. I switched to TY and still couldn't get one to work. As it turned out, after two AnyDVD upgrades everything got back to normal - I can even burn well again on that cakestack of Ritek. I have a feeling that the AnyDVD versions then interacted poorly with my Sony 820A, since it all started working great again with no changes at all except AnyDVD updates.

Next question: I have always just had AnyDVD running in the background, placed a DVD to be copied in the DVD-ROM drive, blank media (DVD5) in the burner, and use CloneDVD2 in the "Clone" mode to back up my DVDs. Since that worked so well from the start I never saw a need to change. However with all the advances lately (DL, HD, etc.) I try to keep up with what others are using. I see that some say to first rip the DVD, and then take the VideoTS folder from the DVD and place it on the desktop. Then point CloneDVD2 at that folder and burn away. Is there any advantage to doing that instead of just using CloneDVD2 immediately and letting AnyDVD do its thing "on the fly"?

I also see where some say you should always rip the DVD first, and only then burn the backup. Is there a particular benefit to always ripping first?

In order to remove the warnings and such from DVDs before backing them up, is it required to rip them first and then use another application to edit those annoyances out? (Like FixVTS?). I had thought there was a way to do that directly with AnyDVD, but I do not see that selection anymore. I never used to bother, but now I have some DVDs where there are warnings, then more warnings, and also mini-features about how pirating is theft, etc. It has become more than just annoying! What is the best method for removal?

That's enough questions for now! I still want to learn a few other things, but this post is already much too long.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jim

CloneDVD2 2.9.0.4

Update to 2.9.0.8

I'd recommend updating to 6.1.5.6

Nero 7.5 Ultra Edition

Update to 7.9.6.0

Roxio Easy Media Creator 8.1

I'd personally uninstall this if you have Nero. Completely redundant

Ulead DVD MovieFactory 3 SE (A special, "lite" OEM version that came with my Hauppauge TV Tuner card)

As you own Nero and Clonedvd, I would also uninstall that program.

Am I likely causing conflicts with all of these installed on my PC?

Are you having problems? If not, then no.

I was using Ritek media

Complete and utter junk.

I switched to TY and still couldn't get one to work.

Are you still having problems?

Use Taiyo Yuden Premium, Verbatim, Maxell Plus, or Maxell Broadcast Quality

As it turned out, after two AnyDVD upgrades everything got back to normal - I can even burn well again on that cakestack of Ritek. I have a feeling that the AnyDVD versions then interacted poorly with my Sony 820A

I sincerely doubt it as Anydvd has nothing to do with burning.

Since that worked so well from the start I never saw a need to change. However with all the advances lately (DL, HD, etc.) I try to keep up with what others are using.

I use this method to backup my movies

Is there any advantage to doing that instead of just using CloneDVD2 immediately and letting AnyDVD do its thing "on the fly"?

Not unless you're planning to do something with those files later . . . no. If you're having problems with a specific disc (dirty or a bad pressing), ripping first may help, but . . . no.

In order to remove the warnings and such from DVDs before backing them up, is it required to rip them first and then use another application to edit those annoyances out?(Like FixVTS?).

FixVTS does not edit advertisements and warnings out. The answer to your question however is usually yes; if you want to edit stuff, it would make sense to rip first and then use VobBlanker, for example.

You can set Anydvd to "remove annoying adverts and trailers", but 1)that feature doesn't work with all discs, and 2) Anydvd doesn't actually remove them, but skips by them.

Last edited:
Acronis True Image is great software and will cause no problems at all. The only problem with Roxio would be their Drag-to-Disc. But as Webslinger said, it is kind of redundant with Nero and Recode is good software.

Webslinger said:

Actually Maxell has always been a source of bad problems aswell. Do a search for these discs over at CDFreaks, Doom9 or Digital-Digest and you will see. Only use Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim. And for DL burns, Verbatim +R DL.

J-Mac said:
In order to remove the warnings and such from DVDs before backing them up, is it required to rip them first and then use another application to edit those annoyances out?(Like FixVTS?).
I use PgcEdit. Have a read of this guide. After all the crap has been removed, load the files up in VobBlanker or FixVTS and let them do their job.

Actually Maxell has always been a source of bad problems aswell.

Maxell Plus and Maxell Broadcast Quality are Maxell's high end lines. In fact, Maxell Plus, recently was made by Taiyo Yuden (these were TYG02s and, on average, suffered from less quality control issues than TYs own Premium line. As for cdfreaks, see here).
The Maxell Plus line will be returning to Maxell's own Japanese production plant (which others and myself actually consider to be a good thing). They use to have the same media code as the regular Maxell MIJ (made in Japan) media (MXLRG03), but these (the Plus) are held to higher standards (than Maxell's normal MIJ media). And the Maxell Broadcast Quality (again MXLRG03) blanks are, in all likelyhood, the best dvd-rs people can buy in North America--if you can afford them or even find them (these are better than even Maxell Plus due to the special coating on the BQs). Maxell Broadcast Quality is made in Japan. Maxell Plus is also made in Japan. The generic Maxell nonsense found in most stores, I agree, tends not to be worth anyone's time (and most of that stuff is not made in Japan). Even a well known faq that I'm not fond of knows this--as do most people who do quality testing extensively on blank media. Most people haven't used Maxell Broadcast Quality because they are generally not available to the public, and at $1-$3 a blank, not many people have ever used them (much less heard about them). Again, Maxell Plus are better than just the normal MXLRG03s, and Maxell Broadcast Quality blanks are even better than Maxell Plus. This is the premium grade stuff--not normal MXLRG03s.

Maxell Broadcast Quality

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice, Webslinger.

Update to 2.9.0.8
Just did. Actually, there apparently was no 2.9.0.4 - I checked and saw I had 2.9.0.3. Updated it right before I started this reply.

I'd recommend updating to 6.1.5.6
Actually, I recently updated to 6.1.5.5, and I don't see 6.1.5.6 on the download page. Is it an unlisted beta, perhaps?

Update to 7.9.6.0
Think I will. Since I don't use Nero very often except for the audo stuff, I've been procrastinating! (Already had it downloaded; just hadn't yet installed it).

I'd personally uninstall this if you have Nero. Completely redundant
OK, OK... I kept this because I once used it extensively, but not in recent history. It's coming off as I type this. As I said, at one time only Sonic's MyDVD could burn the Microsoft's Recorded TV format, and then they merged MyDVD into Roxio EMC. I don't use it much anymore. Last time I used it was to pull the soundtrack off a DVD - that was a neat feature! But it's going now.

As you own Nero and Clonedvd, I would also uninstall that program.
Already done. Again, I only had left that because I was too lazy to reconfigure another app to automatically handle the built-in DVR of the TV Tuner. Now I'll have to take the time.

Are you having problems? If not, then no.
Nope. I just know though that they can arise easily and unexpectedly sometimes when you have too many of the same type application installed.

Complete and utter junk.
I've heard that recently, but at the time I had started using them, there was a good review about them on the VideoHelp site, and their media testing page showed more good comments than anything else. That was right around the time I purchased AnyDVD and CloneDVD - end of 2003 or beginning of 2004. Since then the reviews went steadily downhill, but I was having such good success with them (2 coasters in over 300 burns!) that I refused to change until I saw the need. When all that stuff was happening, I burned 11 straight coasters from a cakestack of 100 Riteks. When all started working again a few weeks later, I was already using the TY's. But I did try that cakestack of Riteks again and got four straight good burns.

I know you said that it couldn't have been AnyDVD - and I believe you; but some other factor was causing the problem because all got well again without me doing anything else. Since it is working fine again, I don't need to find the cause, I guess. But I hate to leave it go because I really wanted to know what was causing the bad burns so that I can treat it if it happens again.

No, all is burning well at this time.

Thanks for that advice. I am already using the Taiyo Yudens - fairly reasonable at Newegg. But that's good info on the others. I haven't tried burning to DL disks yet -- which are the best for that?

I sincerely doubt it as Anydvd has nothing to do with burning.
I responded above to this. As all is burning well now, I'm happy. And I may never know what gave me all the problems a few months ago.

Nope. Thanks.

I use this method to backup my movies
Already saw and bookmarked that. Thanks again.

Not unless you're planning to do something with those files later . . . no. If you're having problems with a specific disc (dirty or a bad pressing), ripping first may help, but . . . no.
OK. I just saw a lot of posts here by users who sound very knowledgeable that seem to say they always rip first. Not sure why.

FixVTS does not edit advertisements and warnings out. The answer to your question however is usually yes; if you want to edit stuff, it would make sense to rip first and use VobBlanker, for example.
Oops. Sorry about that. I just downloaded both today, and mis-typed when I posted that. Thanks for correcting me.

You can set Anydvd to "remove annoying adverts and trailers", but 1)that feature doesn't work with all discs, and 2) Anydvd doesn't actually remove them, but skips by them.

So is it better then to use VodBlanker, rather than AnyDVD?

Thanks again for all your help, Webmaster!

Acronis True Image is great software and will cause no problems at all. The only problem with Roxio would be their Drag-to-Disc. But as Webslinger said, it is kind of redundant with Nero and Recode is good software.
I agree about Acronis. I just wanted to mention all applications I have installed that have, or at least claim to have, a DVD burning component.

Thanks. I just finally removed Roxio from my box. :)

Some of us rip first so that the file is left on our hard drive, just in case. Or, if you're wanting to burn 2 instead of just 1, you don't have to wait for the rip to complete again.

Actually, I recently updated to 6.1.5.5, and I don't see 6.1.5.6 on the download page. Is it an unlisted beta, perhaps?

Yes, check the stickies at the top of the forum.

OK, OK... I kept this because I once used it extensively, but not in recent history. It's coming off as I type this. As I said, at one time only Sonic's MyDVD could burn the Microsoft's Recorded TV format, and then they merged MyDVD into Roxio EMC. I don't use it much anymore. Last time I used it was to pull the soundtrack off a DVD - that was a neat feature! But it's going now.

If everything is working for you, I see no need to uninstall anything. I was just making a suggestion.

Already done. Again, I only had left that because I was too lazy to reconfigure another app to automatically handle the built-in DVR of the TV

I've heard that recently, but at the time I had started using them, there was a good review about them on the VideoHelp site

Ritek is pretty bad. Ritek is right up there with Princo in my books. You may be able to burn those discs, but they may not be readable for long.

But I hate to leave it go because I really wanted to know what was causing the bad burns so that I can treat it if it happens again.

I'm sure we'll be around if you have issues. In the meantime, if everything is working, why try fixing something that isn't broken?

I haven't tried burning to DL disks yet -- which are the best for that?

Verbatim+R DL (as linx05 stated)

Ensure these are made in Singapore (not India).

OK. I just saw a lot of posts here by users who sound very knowledgeable that seem to say they always rip first. Not sure why.

Some of them are very heavy into editing. And if an error occurs, they don't need to spend a lot of time waiting for Clonedvd to process the video files to the hard drive again.

So is it better then to use VodBlanker, rather than AnyDVD?

Anydvd is a decrypter. VobBlanker isn't. They don't do the same things and are completely separate programs.

Last edited:
Some of us rip first so that the file is left on our hard drive, just in case. Or, if you're wanting to burn 2 instead of just 1, you don't have to wait for the rip to complete again.

With CloneDVD2, I just deselect the box that says to delete all temp files from this DVD and I can then re-burn them.

I actually use DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink for most of my stuff. When it comes to Sony stuff though, I use my CloneDVD2.

...If everything is working for you, I see no need to uninstall anything. I was just making a suggestion.

I'm sure we'll be around if you have issues. In the meantime, if everything is working, why try fixing something that isn't broken?

Well, for one, I had a couple of pretty heavy suites installed, which can be unnecessary. I had gotten frustrated with Ahead/Nero since back with 6 Ultra when an update of NeroVision completely broke it for me (and a lot of others, if the forums were an accurate indication), and they stopped responding to just about anyone requesting help with that. I went with the Roxio Suite instead. Then 7 Ultra got pretty good reviews, but much better reviews when they came out with 7.5. Plus, they offered me a new upgrade price that was hard to ignore, so I purchased the upgrade and then just never removed Roxio. It is gone now.

Anydvd is a decrypter. VobBlanker isn't. They don't do the same things and are completely separate programs.
Thanks. What I meant by that was using AnyDVD's ripper as opposed to VodBlanker.

I actually use DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink for most of my stuff. When it comes to Sony stuff though, I use my CloneDVD2.
Thanks. I started backing up with CloneDVD before I ever became familiar with Decrypter or Shrink, and by then CloneDVD was working so well for me that I never saw a reason to try anything else. :agree:

Thanks. I started backing up with CloneDVD before I ever became familiar with Decrypter or Shrink, and by then CloneDVD was working so well for me that I never saw a reason to try anything else. :agree:

You should consider trying anyDVD, clonecd and Verbatim +R DL. I have been using this combination more recently and am very happy will the results. Aside from the $2 a disc average, it's better then having to replace your messed up originals. Plus Webslinger uses that combination, so you have your own personal diagnostic support via this forum.:clap: :D

You should consider trying anyDVD, clonecd and Verbatim +R DL. I have been using this combination more recently and am very happy will the results. Aside from the $2 a disc average, it's better then having to replace your messed up originals. Plus Webslinger uses that combination, so you have your own personal diagnostic support via this forum.:clap: :D

I have no doubt that you get good results with DL media but I can make 5 copies using S/L discs for the price of one D/L disc.

Aside from the $2 a disc average, it's better then having to replace your messed up originals.

The main advantages are that 1) you get superior picture quality as a result of not having to transcode (yawn) or encode (double yawn) and 2) the overall burn process is much faster than encoding. The downside is cost, but I stock up on Verbatim +R DL media (Singapore) on the rare occasions they go on sale for about $1 U.S. per disc. And really, I'd much rather watch my non-compressed backups while others are still messing around encoding (*yawn yawn*). But to each, his or her own . . .

Last edited:
I'd much rather watch rather watch my non-compressed backups while others are still messing around encoding (*yawn*). But to each, his or her own . . .

i prefer to rip the main movie to divx (via clonedvd mobile with custom profiles) and then burn to dvd (or stream over my network) and watch on my xbox with xbmc. (i prefer a controller to a remote:agree:)

The main advantages are that 1) you get superior picture quality as a result of not having to transcode or encode and 2) the overall burn process is much faster than encoding. The downside is cost, but I stock up on Verbatim +R DL media (Singapore) on the rare occasions they go on sale for about $1 U.S. per disc. And really, I'd much rather watch rather watch my non-compressed backups while others are still messing around encoding (*yawn*). But to each, his or her own . . .

Let me know when you see them for $1 a disc....please. The cheapest is $1.89 I can find.:doh:

Let me know when you see them for $1 a disc....please. The cheapest is $1.89 I can find.:doh:

I have a bad feeling the North American market will be flooded with Verbatim +R DLs made in India by the end of the year. I, unlike others, am not optimistic about the quality of those MBILs (but I could be proven wrong).

Back