• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

problems with Pan's Labyrinth

customshopkv1

I backed up Pan's Labyrinth with AnyDVD 5.1.5.5 and CloneCD and the disc was not recognized after burning (Verbatim +R DL). Maybe it was that version of anyDVD?

I backed up Pan's Labyrinth with AnyDVD 5.1.5.5 and CloneCD and the disc was not recognized after burning (Verbatim +R DL). Maybe it was that version of anyDVD?

There's no protection on Pan's Labyrinth other than regular CSS. That means dvdshrink could
handle it by itself without Anydvd running in the background. Did you change the booktype of your blank media to "dvd-rom"? And by not recognized, do you mean in your computer or your standalone dvd player?

Did you use a 4x write speed? Was your blank media made in India or in Singapore?

Is your burner's firmware up to date?

Err, wait a minute are you having fun with me? 5.1.5.5? The latest version is 6.1.5.5 (or 6.1.5.6 beta).

Last edited:
There's no protection on Pan's Labyrinth other than regular CSS. That means dvdshrink could
handle it by itself without Anydvd running in the background. Did you change the booktype of your blank media to "dvd-rom"? And by not recognized, do you mean in your computer or your standalone dvd player?

Did you use a 4x write speed? Was your blank media made in India or in Singapore?

Is your burner's firmware up to date?

Err, wait a minute are you having fun with me? 5.1.5.5? The latest version is 6.1.5.5 (or 6.1.5.6 beta).

Sorry.....6.1.5.5. I was having a problem with my hard drive, so I think that was the problem. I have been trying to do full disk backups with CloneCD and Verbatim +R DL. Can AnyDVD and CloneCD handle all the latest releases without issue?

Can AnyDVD and CloneCD handle all the latest releases without issue?

Yes, with these exceptions

It's very important to ensure you're changing the booktype to "dvd-rom", but I'm sure you're aware of that.

And I would ensure that you're using a 4x write speed (and make sure your Verbatim +R DL media was made in Singapore).

I do not recommend burning on the fly.

Last edited:
Also I used:

Plextor PX-755A v.1.07
Verbatim +R DL (Singapore) burned at 6x

Also it wasn't recognized by either the computer nor the player.

Webslinger,
I'm pretty deep into DL backups via CloneCD. I have always burned MKM001 (MIS) at 2.4X with my 1655 (BCIB with SB ON/ON). On the Verb retail packaging, the "2.4X" designation typeface is way more colorfull, bigger & more emboldened than the small font of the 6X or 8X designation.

So considering the risk of ruining an expensive disk, what is the advantage for you and others to burn at 4X or higher speeds? I mean, obviously to get a faster speed :doh: ... but what I really mean is why risk shelf-longevity, broad player compatibility, and overall stability by burning faster than MKM001's true rating?

Thanks,
Whisperer

Last edited:
Ok, so last night I went home and tried this movie again. Some changes were:

1. Fixed HDD issue (new seagate drive doesn't like to be more then half full when trying write media from it). Don't know why!
2. Took the drive out of my Plextor external and made it an internal drive.
3. Lowered burn speed to 4x

Results:
1. Perfect 1:1 copy
2. Very Happy
3. Wife won't hear me say mother @#$%^&*! for a day or so.

Thanks to Webslinger and the rest of you for the input.:clap:

So considering the risk of ruining an expensive disk, what is the advantage for you and others to burn at 4X or higher speeds? I mean, obviously to get a faster speed :doh: ... but what I really mean is why risk shelf-longevity, broad player compatibility, and overall stability by burning faster than MKM001's true rating?

There is no "true" rating (when you use nero cd-dvd speed, for example, the supported burn speeds should say more than just 2.4x). Moreover, I'm sure when you buy 16x rated media, you're probably not burning at 16x on it. The "true" rating should be the fastest speed that provides the best possible results with your burner.

The advantage to burning at 4x is, as you say, mostly that it's faster and that the burn quality results are no worse on most burners than if you were to burn at 2.4x. Some burners start to produce more errors at 6x or higher with these discs. My 4x recommendation is based on my own quality scans and the reports and scans of others on the internet (including the Digital Dolphin's recommendation, who burns blank media on an industrial level).

By the way, it is also possible to burn too slowly, which I'm sure you're aware of. If the burner's disk calibration doesn't work properly, you can end up overheating the dye. Burning too slowly can reduce a disk's lifespan. source

While that's unlikely to happen at 2.4x on these Verbatim+R DL blanks, what I just wrote is something to keep in mind (especially for those who try to burn slower than 4x on 16x rated blank media).

Last edited:
1. Fixed HDD issue (new seagate drive doesn't like to be more then half full when trying write media from it). Don't know why!

Hmm . . . have you tried defragmenting your hard drive?

Took the drive out of my Plextor external and made it an internal drive.

You shouldn't have to, but I'm glad what you did worked.

I tried defragmenting the drive, still had issues. I used to love Seagate drives, but I have had nothing but problems with the last 5 or 6 I have had including a SATA drive. I have switched over to Western Digital and am much happier. As far as the Plextor, it was going to an idle state in the middle of burning. I tried burning different movies from three different drives (seagate internal, hitachi internal, and WD external) all with the same result. That's why I took it out and put in my desktop. No problems since. I love the Plextor drive and am more then willing to pay extra for the quality, that's why I went through the trouble. Of all the writers I have owned or tried the Plextor is far and away the best.;)

As far as the Plextor, it was going to an idle state in the middle of burning.

I wonder if the drive was overheating in its external enclosure.

Anyway, I expect what you did had more to do with resolving your issue than lowering the burn speed (but 4x does tend to be safer across a wider variety of burners than 6x).

Yes, the 4x burn speed was per your suggestion. I see no reason to deviate from that.

Back