• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Burned discs not reqognised in DVD player

Samwel

After I upgraded my CPU and motherboard and reinstalled
Windows XP Pro SP2 I can't get AnyDVD+CloneDVD to burn
discs that are reqognised as DVD discs in my DVD players.
The player just scans the disc for a long while then return
NO DISC in the display.

Why is that? Every setting is the same in AnyDVD and
mostly the same in Windows. Everything has always
worked fine until lately. The discs work fine in Windows
though.

Burned discs tried in two Pioneer DVD players both with
same result.

Could be media or book type. We need some more info, like media type, hardware and so on.

1. Update your burner's firmware (if available)
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=12794&postcount=10
2. Use good quality media (Memorex, Ritek, Princo, Fuji, TDK from Costco, and Maxell that are not made in Japan are not good quality media)
If you use poor quality blank media, then you should expect problems.
visit http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4764653&postcount=25
and
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3976250
3. Try lowering your burn speed (not below 4x; if you have a 16x burner and 16x rated media try writing to it at 12x instead of 16x)
4. If you're using +R, +RW, or +R DL media, change the booktype to "dvd-rom"
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 (step 3)
5. Avoid sticker labels (they tend to cause problems)
6. Try setting a custom size of 4300 in Clonedvd (but if you're using good media, you shouldn't have to) if you're using regular single layer dvd-5 (4.7GB) discs.

Bad burn quality is notorious around the end of discs (see step 6)
and also at layer breaks when using low quality DL media (use Verbatim +R DL media, and change the booktype to "dvd-rom)

1. Update your burner's firmware (if available)
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=12794&postcount=10
2. Use good quality media (Memorex, Ritek, Princo, Fuji, TDK from Costco, and Maxell that are not made in Japan are not good quality media)
If you use poor quality blank media, then you should expect problems.
visit http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4764653&postcount=25
and
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3976250
3. Try lowering your burn speed (not below 4x; if you have a 16x burner and 16x rated media try writing to it at 12x instead of 16x)
4. If you're using +R, +RW, or +R DL media, change the booktype to "dvd-rom"
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 (step 3)
5. Avoid sticker labels (they tend to cause problems)
6. Try setting a custom size of 4300 in Clonedvd (but if you're using good media, you shouldn't have to) if you're using regular single layer dvd-5 (4.7GB) discs.

Bad burn quality is notorious around the end of discs (see step 6)
and also at layer breaks when using low quality DL media (use Verbatim +R DL media, and change the booktype to "dvd-rom)

1. NEC ND-3551A Firmware 2.02 (latest)

2. I use great HQ media, Infiniti Samurai DVD-R 16x which I have used before on the same burner with success. But with a earlier version of AnyDVD installed.

3. I have a 16x burner and have successfully burned at 12x before (never tested 16x). Although I normally use 8x (as with these failed discs). The burner is connected to a IDE master channel as the sole device (i.e. no slave connected to the same cable).

4. I used DVD-R in this case. I usually use all kinds of formats and have never before had any problem.
How do I change booktype?

5. I never use sticker labels. I have a DVD marker pen or printable discs.

6. I have never needed to change that before. As I said before there's nothing wrong with the actual burn. The copy plays perfectly in Windows through a media player.
It's just that my two Pioneer DVD players don't reqognise my copies as DVD discs.

Could be media or book type. We need some more info, like media type, hardware and so on.

Abit AW9D-Max, Core2Duo E6600 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, Radeon 1950PRO, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, 3x Seagate 250GB SATA harddrives, 1x Hitachi SATA 250GB, NEC ND-3551A DVD burner (supports all formats except DVD-RAM), Windows XP Professional SP2.
I was using the latest released (not beta) AnyDVD and CloneDVD.
I used Infiniti Samurai DVD-R 16x media.

Anything else you need?
I will try to do some testing with other types like DVD+R and see if it's just these discs or a general fault.

I use great HQ media, Infiniti Samurai DVD-R 16x which I have used before on the same burner with success. But with a earlier version of AnyDVD installed.

Does that stuff code out as MCC-004-00?

Again, I would try some of the stuff I listed instead. Try some Taiyo Yuden Premium discs.

How do I change booktype?

You only do that with +R media.

What I listed by the way were guidelines--not questions.

If your backups play in your computer, Clonedvd worked. You would then have what amounts to a compatibility between the blank media you're using and your standalone dvd players (your standalone dvd players don't like the blank media you're using).

Anydvd, regardless of version number, has absolutely nothing to do with burn quality.

Last edited:
Just tested a Infiniti Samurai DVD+R 16x disc and it plays correctly on my Pioneer DVD player.

I have burned before on this model of DVD-R discs so why won't they work anymore? Bad batch?
Seems strange that Windows finds them just fine.
The Pioneer DV-696S is also a DVD-R/RW supported player.
DVD+R/RW is not officially supported but works anyway on these players.

I have burned before on this model of DVD-R discs so why won't they work anymore? Bad batch?

Name brands often don't mean anything. It's possible they aren't the same discs. It's possible that company is using a new source for its discs than it did previously. You might want to check media codes.
When you buy Verbatim 16x blank media you may end up Prodisc or CMC made discs for example.

Regardless, there is a compatibility issue between the discs you are using now and your standalone dvd players. If they play fine in your computer, Clonedvd worked.

I suggest, again, trying some Taiyo Yuden Premiums. At the very least, try some other blanks.

DVD+R/RW is not officially supported but works anyway on these players.

Most will work, especially when the booktype is changed to "dvd-rom"

If you would like to learn how to do this, read step 3

Last edited:
Does that stuff code out as MCC-004-00?

Again, I would try some of the stuff I listed instead. Try some Taiyo Yuden Premium discs.

You only do that with +R media.

What I listed by the way were guidelines--not questions.

If your backups play in your computer, Clonedvd worked. You would then have what amounts to a compatibility between the blank media you're using and your standalone dvd players (your standalone dvd players don't like the blank media you're using).

Anydvd, regardless of version number, has absolutely nothing to do with burn quality.

Code out as MCC-004-00? How do I check that?

I usually buy Verbatim discs (which are even listed by NEC as compatible) but I took a chance on these Infiniti due to good reviews. Both +R and -R burns have worked before with these discs types (with the difference that I bought another color (red) discs -R than last time (purple)).

I will stick with Verbatim for NEC from now on. I know those work flawlessly on both + and - on Pioneer.

I know they where guidelines :) I just checked each point with what I had done.

Yes I know CloneDVD worked. But I can't understand why a disc type that has worked before doesn't anymore. Maybe I was a little (very?) unclear on that matter.

Yes I also know AnyDVD doesn't effect quality. But I thought it best to mention that I used it because otherwise I would probably get a question if I used it. :p

Thanks alot for your help anyway.

Btw I just tried to burn to a Verbatim DVD-R 16x Printable and that disc worked fine in my Pioneer. So I guess it's the Infiniti DVD-R's that are not compatible with Pioneer. This batch anyway.

Last edited:
I suggest, again, trying some Taiyo Yuden Premiums. At the very least, try some other blanks.

Most will work, especially when the booktype is changed to "dvd-rom"

If you would like to learn how to do this, read step 3

I have never heard of or seen Taiyo Yuden Premium discs.
But I will try to source some if possible.

Thanks for the link. I will try that if I ever get another problem like this. I have never ever had a problem with +R discs though, and this is the first problem I have ever had with -R. I have burned on atleast 10 different brands together on both formats.

Again thanks for the help. Very much appriciated. :bowdown:

Last edited:
I have never heard of or seen Taiyo Yuden Premium discs.
But I will try to source some if possible.

Thanks for the link. I will try that if I ever get another problem like this. I have never ever had a problem with +R discs though, and this is the first problem I have ever had with -R. I have burned on atleast 10 different brands together on both formats.

Again thanks for the help. Very much appriciated. :bowdown:

For Taiyo Yuden I buy from supermediastore.com.

Code out as MCC-004-00? How do I check that?

Take a look at number 6

I usually buy Verbatim discs (which are even listed by NEC as compatible)

They are usually a safe bet (with the exception of some PAP6 and MAP6 serials).

Yes I know CloneDVD worked. But I can't understand why a disc type that has worked before doesn't anymore. Maybe I was a little (very?) unclear on that matter.

Basically, I suspect, the reason is they probably aren't the same discs or that you came across some bad blanks. The manufacturing process for them may have changed slightly (this happens more often than people realize). Perhaps they aren't even made by the same factory any more.

Even when you buy Verbatim, you may get discs made by Prodisc, CMC, or MBIL. So the name brand and label doesn't indicate you're getting the exact same discs each time.

So I guess it's the Infiniti DVD-R's that are not compatible with Pioneer. This batch anyway.

Spindle (or the blanks that you have) . . . "Batch" actually refers to an entire line of discs (all the thousands of similar serials). But I know what you mean.

Last edited:
Back