• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

The Vikings (Not able to copy)

Z

Zycore

This movie was made in 1958. When trying to back up the DVD I get the Data error Cyclic redundancy error. The Disk has very minor scratches on it and I washed the DVD and still got the same error. This happens at 51%. I just backed up two DVD's Click and The King Maker with out any problems. Using the latest versions of clone dvd 2 and anydvd. This is a MGM DVD.

Anydvd, 6.1.4.3.
Clone dvd 2, 2.9.0.3

Last edited by a moderator:
Update

Restarted Anydvd and Clone DVD 2 and it has the same problem at the 64% Data Error Cyclic redundancy error.

3rd try. Same problem got to 50% and get the same error. Seems to me that The disk copy protection is out smarting clond dvd. If the problem happened at the same point every time then I could blame the disk. Since the disk has very minor surface scratches on it I am pointing the finger at the Back up software. I can not complain because I rarely have a problem backing up a DVD.

The disk copy protection is out smarting clond dvd.

Nope. Likely a bad original disc even if it plays fine. Clean the disc and try again--or exchange it for a new one.

Read this

If the problem happened at the same point every time then I could blame the disk.

Actually, your experience is typical of a drive trying to read past "minor scratches".

In the future, when creating threads about issues, please do step 8 as well from
here please. Thanks

Last edited:
Nope. Likely a bad original disc even if it plays fine. Clean the disc and try again--or exchange it for a new one.

Read this

Actually, your experience is typical of a drive trying to read past "minor scratches".

In the future, when creating threads about issues, please do step 8 as well from
here please. Thanks

If you read my first post you would of seen that I already cleaned the disk. I have backed up many DVD's with deeper and alot more scratches with out any problem. The scratches are so small and fine on this disk it could not be the problem. Why is it when a consumer reports a problem with a product it is never the product that is at fault? Do you know how many times I have heard Its not our problem its your system, disk, or what ever only to prove them wrong or down the road at some later date see a patch or recall addressing the issue with the product or software. Could the disk have bad sectors on it? Yes. Is the problem ultra fine scratches? no. Could the problem be with the software? maybe. Is it possiable that the copy protection on the disk is preventing me from backing it up? Yes. So how can you say with out a doubt that it a problem with minor scratches? I trouble shoot computers for a living so do not be so quick to put the blame on minor scratches when it most likely the software.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you read my first post you would of seen that I already cleaned the disk. I have backed up many DVD's with deeper and alot more scratches with out any problem. The scratches are so small and fine on this disk it could not be the problem.

They are either the problem (and it's very likely in this case) or your original disc suffers from quality control issues even if it plays fine. But suit yourself . . .

1. Clonedvd doesn't decrypt.
2. Anydvd does.
3. If you're going to prove Anydvd can't handle the disc, the first step would have been to post step 8 . . . and that info should be provided, regardless

So how can you say with out a doubt that it a problem with minor scratches?

Probably because I've been been burning, using this software, and helping people with it for a very long while--and I know when to recognize probable causes. The Vikings was released on dvd in 2002 in R1 (you're in R1). That's five years ago. Do you honestly believe there's a disc released five years ago that has such advanced protection that Anydvd can't handle it five years later? That's a rhetorical question. The first release of Anydvd in 2003 could probably handle this disc.

Next time, provide the information that's requested of you: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=393 (especially 8 ).

You've got a crc error, and a disc that Anydvd can handle. Your disc has some scratches.

Let's look at your options:

"1) DVD media is dirty - you can try to clean it
2) DVD media is damaged, you have to replace it
3) Your drive is a region locked rpc2 drive, which does not allow reading of scrambled sectors from a different region and try to read a DVD from a different region.
You can try to find a rpc1 patched firmware at www.rpc1.com
4) Your drive is an rpc2 drive that has not yet been assigned a region. try to assign one, or try to find a rpc1 patched firmware."

You say you've already done 1. "2"-- looks likely. "3"-- probably not . . . "4" well, does your drive's region code match the region of the disc? Probably not an issue . . .

Regardless, none of these options have anything to do with the Anydvd nor Clonedvd. And all the evidence you've bothered to provide strongly indicates option #2.

I trouble shoot computers for a living . . .

If you know what you're doing then you can certainly figure out this issue and other issues on your own without my furthur assistance. Good luck

Last edited:
Every single time I get the "Data Error Cyclic Redundancy" error, it means a bad original. I've had this happen about 10 times with different titles. It's not a software problem. When you get a better original, it'll work.

Your probably right the disk is most likely the casue. The minor scratches are not. I never said it was a software issue only said it could be.

Your probably right the disk is most likely the casue. The minor scratches are not.

Would you please do me a favour and do step 8 from here (click this)

Post me the anydvd status screen for the original disc.

And the minor scratches are probably the issue (it's happened to me before . . . the exact same thing . . . with the read error occurring at different places after each cleaning--sometimes after, sometimes a little before the original spot . . . Then I used this pink goo polish that repairs scratches. Suddenly my drive could read the disc.) Actually, forget it. Think whatever you want.

Zycore said:
I never said it was a software issue only said it could be
Zycore said:
most likely the software
Zycore said:
I am pointing the finger at the Back up software

Last edited:
@ Zycore
I believe Webslinger is right on with the assessment.
I cannot begin to count the times I have seen this topic on other forums over the last few years.
Many times it has been a brand new disk that exhibits this behavior, and is resolved by a replacement.
If you haven't already tried, you might use a drive speed utility to slow the read speed. It may take a long time to read at a low X setting, but it may make it through the the bad areas.

Zycore,
Laser beam deflection is a funny thing. Scratches that don't even seem so bad as worse looking scratches on other backups you have made may be real troublesome. It also matters which direction the scratch goes. The kind that circles around the disk is harder for the laser beam to read than a scratch that goes straight out the "radius" of the disk toward the edge of the disk. Some "dings" or scuffs can be read through while others cannot. One would need magnification akin to a microscope to judge which surface flaws, on the outer plastic layer of a disk, would deflect enough of the laser's beam so that the data layer underneath could not be read easily. Some drives are better at reading through scratches than others. Do you have a second drive that you can try the rip on?

Read these threads (follow any sub-links within the posts):
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1657367&postcount=10

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=36

http://www.digitalinnovations.com/

BTW, I include the following as a point of interest and it represents only my humble opinion:
I am the loose cannon amongst this crowd of cdf helpers in that I am not a believer that the inability to read an original is most often caused by bad pressings or manufacturing flaws. I believe that that cause is a very rare reason for not getting a successful rip. I own a fair sized collection of original DVD movies and most all are in pristine condition because as soon as I buy them from Amazon, they get backed up and it's the backups that I watch. The only movies I've ever had trouble with are the few that got scuffed before I new how to protect my investment with Slysoft products.

Also, the few times that I have had issues with getting a successful rip with CloneDVD, even after washing (see links) and/or resurfacing the scratched original, were resolved by dragging and dropping the Video TS folder to my HDD with Windows Explorer (AnyDVD must be running) and then using CloneDVD's "Write Existing Data" method to process the files (selections and compression) from the HDD just as you would from the original disk and go to burning. Or try using the AnyDVD "Rip to HDD" feature. Whether or not this supports your suggestion that the software is at fault, CloneDVD (like any backup software) does want to read every "0 and 1" perfectly and this method may provide a bit more fault tolerance to accomplish the ripping task. Once you have the rip, the burn is easy. Or, like I said above, if you have a second brand of drive, it might rip through the scratches better than the one you used.

Best regards,
Whisperer

Last edited:
Good movie. Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis, Ernest Borgnine. As you can tell I have the movie and backed it up. It is not the software. The original is in worse shape than you think and needs to be replaced.

Viking

I was having the same trouble. Thought I had found a disc I could not back up. After reading the somewhat hostile responses from Webslinger to Zycore I decided to clean the disk one more time. From all angles the disk looked clean. This time I used a D3 diskwasher. I was then successful in backing up the DVD. :agree:

If I get Data Error Cyclic Redundancy I clean the disc, then if it happens again I move on, return the disc, or give it back to my kids to wreck some more.:p

copy of vikings

i have had this problem like everbody else, but i do this when it happens, iclean the disk as best as possible and then i use dvdfab decrypt, i have no idea why this works quite often except i think decrpt has a better read system or error correction software? just thoght i would offer my two cents

i have had this problem like everbody else, but i do this when it happens, iclean the disk as best as possible and then i use dvdfab decrypt, i have no idea why this works quite often except i think decrpt has a better read system or error correction software? just thoght i would offer my two cents

Unlikely. CloneDVD has a "retry" button which can be used for stubborn discs. The disc can even be removed and cleaned before you click "retry".

This is what dvdfab is doing:

"Backup scratched/dirty disc:

* Even if some information (IFO) cannot be read, you can still copy Main Movie or Customize.
* Recovery from DVD reading (VOB) error."

I call that brute force ripping; a backup produced by that method is more prone to have subtle errors in them (the backup is imperfect).

I'm not sure what James thinks, but I'm hesitant to recommend that Clonedvd starts skipping past read errors.

56_Holster said:
After reading the somewhat hostile responses from Webslinger

:rolleyes: I bit my tongue.

This time I used a D3 diskwasher. I was then successful in backing up the DVD.

Then I'm glad you believed what I wrote.

Last edited:
Back