• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Layer break position when moving from CloneDVD to CloneCD?

Giannis

Hi there,
I've just joined in.

I've got a number of films on my hard disc, saved as DVD files using CloneDVD, and would like to start putting them on discs. As I've been reading about layer-break-position differences b2in CloneDVD and CloneCD, I wish I'd used CloneCD to start with. Unfortunately, I no longer have the original DVDs.

So, my question is this: What if I use CloneDVD to create an image of my DVD files, and then burn this image using CloneCD? Will this be the same, in terms of layer break positioning, as if I'd used CloneCD in the first place? (Is the original layer break position lost during the Reading or Writing process with CloneDVD?)

Furthermore, is there a way or another program which will verify the success of the writing process, so that I can confidently delete the DVD files from my PC without having to actually watch the discs first?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the original DVDs.

Unfortunately, I will not assist those that do not own the original dvds or give me cause to wonder if they own the original dvds.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I will not assist those that do not own the original dvds or give me cause to wonder if they own the original dvds.
Dear Webslinger,

I'm sorry to read that you won't be assisting me as I was really hoping for a response from you of all people. What can I say, I do agree with the point you're making. Nevertheless, as easily as you presumed that I do not actually own the original dvds, or ever have, you could have actually recognised the 'longer', rather than the 'no...have', as the operative one in my words, and given me your help, as you do for so many others for whom your presumption of legality is based on nothing more than your will to believe them. What is the point of making copies of your dvds if not to replace the originals which are 'no longer' readable?

What a warm welcome I've had to this forum!

Giannis said:
I'm sorry to read that you won't be assisting me as I was really hoping for a response from you of all people.

My advice is no better than anyone else's; I am nothing special.

Nevertheless, as easily as you presumed that I do not actually own the original dvds

You stated you don't have them.

And do not put words in my mouth.

I wrote, "Unfortunately, I will not assist those that do not own the original dvds or give me cause to wonder if they own the original dvds."

What would a reasonable person wonder? If I am a reasonable person and you give me cause to wonder whether you own the original discs, then I can't help you. I can presume that you do own them, until you tell me "I no longer have the original DVDs." Where I am, what I just wrote matters.

or ever have

red herring

What matters is the present--not the past

you could have actually recognised the 'longer', rather than the 'no...have', as the operative one in my words, and given me your help, as you do for so many others for whom your presumption of legality is based on nothing more than your will to believe them

Actually, my "presumption" is based on a legal concept (that matters where I live).

What is the point of making copies of your dvds if not to replace the originals which are 'no longer' readable?

If you only backup discs that aren't readable, then doing so makes me wonder how their contents managed to end up on your system. If originals are no longer readable, then backing them up, properly (and I don't consider brute force ripping to be proper), is difficult (if not impossible) at best.

The point is to use the backup until it fails--instead of wrecking the original, which you can use again to produce another backup. Wearing out the original instead of the backup doesn't make a lot of sense (blank media costs less, for one). And if someone buys a faulty original, he or she should return it to point of purchase and exchange the disc immediately.

Others may be able to assist you, but I can't.

Last edited:
The easiest, and most impolite, way to introduce 'red herring' is by breaking down someone's words the way you have. My question, although not having a question mark at the end of it, remains unanswered: Isn't it, to say the least, insulting to assume that 'no longer having' the original dvds means that I never actually owned them? The difference between 'have' and 'own', especially when preceded by 'no longer', is quite basic, even for a non-native speaker of English like myself. And isn't it hypocritical or plain naive to believe that everybody else in this forum is in fact a legal owner of whatever they are trying to make a copy of? Just because your argument would stand in court means that you are, or makes you feel, less guilty about all of those you've actually helped? And doesn't the knowledge of this to be true make it even more silly to have in fact responded to my first message, rather than just ignoring it or blocking it out as a moderator that you are?

Just in case your questions regarding backing up dvds with readability problems were not just another way of doubting or offending me, simply post a new thread and I'll be happy to assist you. Alternatively, you may ask at any Video shop; they've been using cleaning products and devices for this purpose for some time now.

While you were still editing yours (if only I'd taken as long when writing my first message, so as not to hurt your feelings of legality), I got the answer to my questions in the CD Freaks forum and am, therefore, happily logging off.

The easiest, and most impolite, way to introduce 'red herring' is by breaking down someone's words the way you have.

If you say so

My question, although not having a question mark at the end of it, remains unanswered: Isn't it, to say the least, insulting to assume that 'no longer having' the original dvds means that I never actually owned them?

And my response remains the same, no matter how many times you repeatedly introduce a subject that has no bearing on what matters. Whether you owned the discs in the past doesn't matter (it is possible to sell used movies; many possibilities exist for why someone may have been an owner in the past--but isn't an owner in the present). What matters is if you own them presently.

And your questions throughout your latest post can only have subjective answers.

The difference between 'have' and 'own', especially when preceded by 'no longer', is quite basic, even for a non-native speaker of English like myself.

Yes, the meaning is obvious.

And isn't it hypocritical or plain naive to believe that everybody else in this forum is in fact a legal owner of whatever they are trying to make a copy of?

No. It's a basic legal concept to presume someone is innocent before he or she conveys information that runs counter to that presumption. And it is also a basic legal right in many places for consumers to be able to backup what they legally own.

Just because your argument would stand in court means that you are, or makes you feel, less guilty about all of those you've actually helped?

I do not feel guilty. I do not condone people copying material they do not own; I also can't help people copy material they do not own; what a happy coincidence!

And doesn't the knowledge of this to be true make it even more silly to have in fact responded to my first message, rather than just ignoring it or blocking it out as a moderator that you are?

No. My response allows others to understand my position. The less PMs I receive from people wondering why I'm not responding to their threads, the better.

Just in case your questions regarding backing up dvds

I don't have any questions derived from this thread that I care to know the answers to. If a disc is readable, then, by definition, it can be backed up. If the disc is not readable, then it can't be backed up, unless you're fond of imperfect backups. And if the originals are readable after repair, then your argument is meaningless.

While you were still editing yours (if only I'd taken as long when writing my first message, so as not to hurt your feelings of legality), I got the answer to my questions in the CD Freaks forum and am, therefore, happily logging off.

Congrats! Perhaps you should continue to find your answers elsewhere, because I, for one, will not be attempting to help you.

As I stated before, I can't help you. Others might be able to.

Last edited:
Back