• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Just what is AnyDVD ripper

sardean

I'm not really stupid just uninformed. I have AnyDVD loaded up when the computer boots up. When I put a movie in the DVD drive it scans it and I use CloneDVD2 to rip it to my hard drive.

So where is this anydvd ripper I keep seeing mentioned.

Just curious.

btw i love cloneDVD2.

:agree: :agree: :agree:

I'm not really stupid just uninformed. I have AnyDVD loaded up when the computer boots up. When I put a movie in the DVD drive it scans it and I use CloneDVD2 to rip it to my hard drive.

So where is this anydvd ripper I keep seeing mentioned.

Just curious.

btw i love cloneDVD2.

:agree: :agree: :agree:
You don't want to know, if you use CloneDVD2. :D

You don't want to know, if you use CloneDVD2. :D

James, I still do not understand completely:

If everything I want is 1:1 DVD copy with everything what is there, what is an advantage (if any) of using CloneDVD2 or AnyDVD ripper compared to just copying files from DVD disc to hard drive using Windows Explorer (the method I primarily use).

Can I have some playback issues because some unwanted stuff like bad sectors and other things like that which AnyDVD cannot completely remove on the fly presumably get copied as well?

If playback issues do arise or if I want some futher processing, will running CloneDVD2 upon such folder on hard drive produce the same result as running it upon original disc with AnyDVD enabled?

Thanks.

Actually I really do want to know. Don't assume that since I use cloneDVD2 that i don't want to know. I however don't plan on using it as everyone says cloneDVD2 is better.

I just want to know. I'm expanding my knowledge

right click the red fox in task bar ;) (rip disc to HDD)

as James has said, theres no need for it if you use clonedvd :)

for 1:1 copies, clonecd & anydvd is the baby to have, also Verbatim +R DL

Last edited:
The AnyDVD Ripper is a function that was added a long time ago to help out DVD Shrink users. When ARccOS became prevalent, DVD Shrink was no longer able to open the discs directly even with AnyDVD running. So, the ripper was put in so that the files could be copied to the hard drive and the DVD structure "cleaned up" so that Shrink could then open it normally. The ripper has been recently changed to use the same code as CloneDVD. If you have CloneDVD, it's ALWAYS recommended to use it to rip as it gives you far more control over what titlesets, languages, and subtitles to keep/discard when ripping. Even if you plan on compressing the title with another program, ripping with CloneDVD is preferable. But in any case, the ripper is there for those people that don't have CloneDVD and who still want to be able to use AnyDVD with their favorite backup program.

If everything I want is 1:1 DVD copy with everything what is there,

Use Clonecd with Verbatim +R DL media then

what is an advantage (if any) of using CloneDVD2 or AnyDVD ripper compared to just copying files from DVD disc to hard drive using Windows Explorer (the method I primarily use).

Clonedvd and Anydvd ripper will clean up junk disc structures.

As for your final two questions, I haven't tested the newer Sony/Lionsgate releases enough to give you a definitive answer. James probably can.

As for your final two questions, I haven't tested the newer Sony/Lionsgate releases enough to give you a definitive answer. James probably can.

If you're using CloneCD to do a 1:1 copy, it will keep the DVD structure the same as on the original. This means that if your player has problems playing the original, you're LIKELY to have problems playing a 1:1 copy. CloneDVD(or the AnyDVD ripper) could be used, in this case, to remove all traces of the structure protection before burning to a DL disc. However, you lose the original layer break by doing that. So, there's no flawless solution...personally, in these cases, I'd rather lose the layer break than keep the structural protection...

If you're using CloneCD to do a 1:1 copy, it will keep the DVD structure the same as on the original.

My point about using Clonecd is that it produces a 1:1 copy (well, closer to a 1:1 copy than Clonedvd does).

I'm not too sure why you quoted what you did (unless you are answering Supergoof's final two questions).
:confused:

personally, in these cases, I'd rather lose the layer break than keep the structural protection

Some protection is removed, but certainly the junk stuff is still there. There are other ways around this issue (not using Slysoft software exclusively) to help preserve the original layer break position (or come very close to it) and edit out/remove the other stuff, but it is very time consuming, or at least I find it is, (so I can't be bothered).

Last edited:
My point about using Clonecd is that it produces a 1:1 copy.

I'm not too sure why you quoted what you did, as your response doesn't specifically answer Supergoof's final two questions. :confused:

I was answering these questions:

Can I have some playback issues because some unwanted stuff like bad sectors and other things like that which AnyDVD cannot completely remove on the fly presumably get copied as well?

If playback issues do arise or if I want some futher processing, will running CloneDVD2 upon such folder on hard drive produce the same result as running it upon original disc with AnyDVD enabled?

And the answer is, that if there's still structural protection, as seen on Pursuit of Happyness, for example, then potentially the backup copy from a 1:1 CloneCD burn will also have playback problems. CloneDVD, however, will remove the structural protection so that a backup will NOT have playback problems. To clarify this point, if he used CloneDVD on a hard drive folder, it would remove any left over structural protection. Using the AnyDVD Ripper will give the same protection free results as CloneDVD, but, if you have CloneDVD and you want to remove all protection and potentially some titlesets, use that to rip the original with...

Some protection is removed, but certainly the junk stuff is still there. There are other ways around this (not using Slysoft software exclusively) to help preserve the original layer break position (or come very close to it) and edit out the other stuff, but it is very time consuming (so I can't be bothered).

Yea, I agree, it's a royal pain to do...it CAN be done, but, isn't it easier just to let CloneDVD make a new layer break position? I've never had an issue with letting it do so. Not that I tend to do that very often...I tend to do 1:1 backups when I use DL discs, but, on occasion I've felt it necessary to remove previews. (Any disc with over 5 previews is on my list for removal as I find it to be obnoxious...even if I can skip over them).

In any case, the point I was making was that the structural protection "left over" from a CloneCD copy COULD cause potential problems...

Last edited:
And the answer is, that if there's still structural protection, as seen on Pursuit of Happyness, for example, then potentially the backup copy from a 1:1 CloneCD burn will also have playback problems. CloneDVD, however, will remove the structural protection so that a backup will NOT have playback problems.

Right, but I'm already aware of this. What I'm not aware of is whether using clonedvd to process a video_ts folder that was dragged and dropped off the original disc onto, say, your desktop will produce the exact same result as using clonedvd to rip from the original disc (especially heavily protected discs). And that's what Supergoof is asking; I don't believe the question has anything to do with Clonecd. It seems to me that it should be the same, but I wonder if it's true in all cases. I want to emphasize that I mean no offense here; I am genuinely interested in the answer as well. Basically, Supergoof, it should be the same (but I'm not sure if it's the same in all cases).

isn't it easier just to let CloneDVD make a new layer break position

I'm a bit of a stickler about preserving the original layer break position.

Last edited:
There are other ways around this issue (not using Slysoft software exclusively) to help preserve the original layer break position (or come very close to it).

ive been wondering, what exactly is the benefit of preserving the original layer break?

Right, but I'm already aware of this. What I'm not aware of is whether using clonedvd to process a video_ts folder that was dragged and dropped off the original disc onto, say, your desktop will produce the exact same result as using clonedvd to rip from the original disc (especially heavily protected discs). And that's what Supergoof is asking; I don't believe the question has anything to do with Clonecd.

I want to emphasize that I mean no offense here; I am genuinely interested in the answer as well.

The EXACT same results? Unlikely. HOWEVER, it WILL clean up the DVD structure and produce clean results. If, for example, you took Pursuit of Happyness, dragged the VIDEO_TS folder to your hard drive, and then used CloneDVD to process it, you could then open the result of CloneDVD's processing with DVD Shrink. That to me is a "gold standard" that I use in determining how good a rip is...if Shrink can open it, I consider it good. It will NOT, however, open the VIDEO_TS folder that was dragged to the hard drive in the first step, as you know.

I'm a bit of a stickler about preserving the original layer break position.

I fully understand this mind set. I had it, as well, until James slapped me upside the head and told me that CloneDVD does a decent job with placing the new layer break. He's right, of course, but, it's NOT the original and it's understandable to want to keep the original if possible. As I said, unless there are a BAZILLION previews and annoyances on the original disc, if I'm doing a DL backup I'll do it image style.

The EXACT same results?

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. It seems to me that it should, but I'm not sure if it's the same in all cases.

HOWEVER, it WILL clean up the DVD structure and produce clean results. If, for example, you took Pursuit of Happyness, dragged the VIDEO_TS folder to your hard drive, and then used CloneDVD to process it, you could then open the result of CloneDVD's processing with DVD Shrink.

Right, we agree here.

I'm just curious if both methods produce the exact same results in all cases.

By the way, Supergoof, it makes far more to rip using Clonedvd instead--if you're going to rip.

Last edited:
I fully understand this mind set. I had it, as well, until James slapped me upside the head and told me that CloneDVD does a decent job with placing the new layer break.

I'm not arguing that you can't produce a good DL backup with Clonedvd; I just tend to prefer where the layer break position is on the original disc.

Presumably, if it's placed near the end of the last chapter on the first layer, there's probably a scene transition occurring there anyway that isn't too jarring, but even so, I'm a bit of an original layer break stickler. :D

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. It seems to me that it should, but I'm not sure if it's the same in all cases.

Oh I can certainly find out easy enough. It'll just take some time. :) But I'm willing to bet there will be subtle differences between a CloneDVD ripped copy(with NOTHING removed) and a D&D/CloneDVD copy. Easy enough to test, though.

Right, we agree here.

I'm just curious if both methods produce the exact same results in all cases.

From a practical standpoint I'd say yes, but, from a technical standpoint I'd seriously doubt they'd be IDENTICAL bit for bit. And that's what I consider EXACT to mean. Would you be able to tell which is which? Unlikely...the practical results will be the same.

In the end, it's probably a pretty pointless test. I was just curious. Sorry, I don't want you to waste hours testing.

Actually, I'm also curious. So, when I get a chance I may check it out on a nasty disc like Pursuit of Happyness. That's my standard screwed up title that I enjoy messing with as the protection is so horrid that it doesn't even play in some stand alone players. Yes, I could get it replaced, but, I don't have any problems playing it and it really is a "gold standard of stupidity" on Sony's part. :D

Back