• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD wont let me install update!

janetz

I have anydvd 6.1.4.3 installed and its working fine. This morning I tried to update to the newest version and got this error message
"failed to open C:program files\slysoft/anydvd.exe" Want me to retry abort or ignore. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled the new one and I still get that message

a) Keep your license key file backed up safely
b) Uninstall Anydvd (start-->all programs-->Slysoft--->Anydvd-->Uninstall)
c) Reboot
d) Try running a registry cleaner program at this point like CCleaner
e) Download Anydvd http://static.slysoft.com/SetupAnyDVD.exe
f) Exit all Slysoft programs (including Anydvd, Clonedvd2, Clonecd, Clonecdtray, Clonedvdmobile, etc.). Check Windows Task Manager if you have to.
g) At this point disable your antivirus and firewall programs
h) Reinstall
i) Reboot
j) Install your license key (if required) http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=732
k) At this point enable your antivirus and firewall programs

Last edited:
well that worked and I got 6.1.5.4 installed. Now it says there is another update and I get the same thing. Am I going to have to do this everytime there is an update.

well that worked and I got 6.1.5.4 installed. Now it says there is another update and I get the same thing. Am I going to have to do this everytime there is an update.

Hmm. I never have to.

But did you do step d (in the order it was listed)?

Last edited:
have no clue.
I disabled everything like you said.

have no clue.
I disabled everything like you said.

Well, at this point it's either your antivirus or your firewall in all likelyhood. Anyway, you may have to go through the steps each time, unless you figure out how to tell your antivirus/firewall software to play nice with Anydvd.

I have anydvd 6.1.4.3 installed and its working fine. This morning I tried to update to the newest version and got this error message
"failed to open C:program files\slysoft/anydvd.exe" Want me to retry abort or ignore. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled the new one and I still get that message
Here's what I do when a new version comes out. First, start downloading the upgrade. Then disable and exit AnyDVD. Install the upgrade. When it reaches the last step, wait until your screen refreshes, then close the install program, and enable AnyDVD. Usually, I don't have to reboot if I follow this procedure. I've never had any problems with upgrading.

Personally it sounds like a corrupted registry to me on this. This can happen if you don't keep your PC clean and updated and scaned on a average basis as well.

Here's what I do when a new version comes out. First, start downloading the upgrade. Then disable and exit AnyDVD. Install the upgrade. When it reaches the last step, wait until your screen refreshes, then close the install program, and enable AnyDVD. Usually, I don't have to reboot if I follow this procedure. I've never had any problems with upgrading.

Also, eject any discs in the drives when you disable AnyDVD - just to be safe. Otherwise, you might get hit by Sony rootkits, PC friendly, or other malware.

I'm sure people will want to wack me when I say this, but I've always had the previous version of Anydvd running while updating. And I've never had an issue (on three systems). Sometimes I update while running system resource intensive games too.

But, uh . . . of course, it's safer to exit before updating, and calweycn's advice is valid for those of you having issues. A required reboot is dependent on the version of Anydvd you had installed previously, by the way (and possibly OS type, but I haven't tested to verify that). For example, anyone running XP and successfully updating from 6.1.5.4 to 6.1.5.5 shouldn't have had to reboot.

Last edited:
Personally it sounds like a corrupted registry to me on this. This can happen if you don't keep your PC clean and updated and scaned on a average basis as well.

I still think this is the case.

I'm sure people will want to wack me when I say this, but I've always had the previous version of Anydvd running while updating. And I've never had an issue (on three systems). Sometimes I update while running system resource intensive games too.

But, uh . . . of course, it's safer to exit before updating, and calweycn's advice is valid for those of you having issues. A required reboot is dependent on the version of Anydvd you had installed previously, by the way (and possibly OS type, but I haven't tested to verify that). For example, anyone running XP and successfully updating from 6.1.5.4 to 6.1.5.5 shouldn't have had to reboot.

Yes I updated mine on my triple boot and no issues.

Starting with AnyDVD 6.1.5.4, AnyDVD will terminate itself if it hangs during program exit after 5-10 seconds.

So, if the update fails now, you can count to 10 and click "retry". This should work. (As the update never failed for me, I have no way of trying...)

I'm sure people will want to wack me when I say this, but I've always had the previous version of Anydvd running while updating....But, uh . . . of course, it's safer to exit before updating,
when i install a newer version,i notice anydvd exits all by itself,then when it completed it restarts automatically (sometimes prompting for a system restart if necessary-which isnt that often now).

I have noticed AnyDVD hanging when updating. I use unlocker to unlock AnyDVD.exe. For some reason, Spybots teatimer is holding it. This has only happened in the last few updates. Weird :S.

I have noticed AnyDVD hanging when updating. I use unlocker to unlock AnyDVD.exe. For some reason, Spybots teatimer is holding it. This has only happened in the last few updates. Weird :S.

Oh yeah, these "anti spyware virus whatever" tools are the pest, as they modify normal system behaviour. Not much I can do about this.

when i install a newer version,i notice anydvd exits all by itself,then when it completed it restarts automatically (sometimes prompting for a system restart if necessary-which isnt that often now).
This is exactly how it is supposed to work.

Oh yeah, these "anti spyware virus whatever" tools are the pest, as they modify normal system behaviour. Not much I can do about this.
Yeah it is very annoying actually. Removed the teatimer now. It caused too many hassles. I don't know why I've had it on my computer for this long :doh:

i cant update ANYDVD either. Says the same thing as first poster. All others worked fine............ until this new release.

Back