• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Problems with Catch and Release

I have tried the movie in a few different computers and it will not recognize the disc in any of them.

I have tried the movie in a few different computers and it will not recognize the disc in any of them.

If this is the only disc you're having a problem like this with then it's quite possibly a bad disc. Try returning it for a replacement.

Last edited:

a) Keep your license key file backed up safely
b) Uninstall Anydvd (start-->all programs-->Slysoft--->Anydvd-->Uninstall)
c) Reboot
d) Put a retail movie disc in your drive.
e)Go to "my computer"-->the appropriate drive letter

Do you see a video_ts folder?

P.S. I agree with Drinklyeanddie

Me either. Weird.....

Oh well!

c) Reboot

Catch & Release

I just took a look at a R1 release of this dvd.
There is absolutely nothing unusual about this dvd. I see no evidence of corrupt sectors, phony files, autorun executables or anything to prevent this dvd from being seen or played on a computer.

the dvd has some sort of protection. shrink doesn't like to open disk. anydvd dump gets 65%ish. definately time for an anydvd beta update!

the dvd has some sort of protection. shrink doesn't like to open disk. anydvd dump gets 65%ish. definately time for an anydvd beta update!

No. You have a bad original disc that needs to be returned, even if it plays fine.

No. You have a bad original disc that needs to be returned, even if it plays fine.
I was just wondering how that conversation goes? Returning a disc that plays fine on DVD players but is "faulty" because you can't copy it?

For the record, my R4 "Catch and Release" plays fine in my standalone DVD player but DVD Decrypter fails at ~45% due to read errors, AnyDVD 6.1.6.5 ripper also fails to rip to HD, DVD Shrink can't open the disc.

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.1.6.5)
BENQ DVD DD DW1650 BCDC KW62601474SC0
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2084960 sectors (4072 MBytes)
Total size: 4169920 sectors (8144 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: CATCH_AND_RELEASE
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: PAL
Media is locked to region(s): 2 4 5!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Found & removed structural copy protection (Arccos, Puppetlock)!
Found & removed bogus title set!
Changed firstplay: Jump directly to Title 2!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 12 bad sector protections! (maybe not enough?)
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 4!
c) Reboot

WinXP can't see any files on the DVD. Gives the error message:
E:\ is not accessible
The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid.​

I was just wondering how that conversation goes? Returning a disc that plays fine on DVD players but is "faulty" because you can't copy it?

I've never purchased a faulty disc, but my girlfriend has. She just returned it and said, "this disc is bad. I want to exchange for another." They gave her another, and the new disc was fine. Most retailers we shop with have good customer service (and they like my girlfriend's money, apparently. Go figure).

WinXP can't see any files on the DVD. Gives the error message:
E:\ is not accessible
The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid.​

Then the problem isn't Anydvd. As Anydvd is not on your system at that point, Anydvd can't interfere or block the reading process. Possibly your reader or burner is slowing dying, the original disc is bad, or a number of other possibilities exist as well (including messed up ide/sata busdrivers, bad cable on the back of the drive, etc.)

In this case, however, I strongly suspect the disc is the issue. Some Acrros protected discs can't even be played (ironically, in some Sony) standalone dvd players. That's how messed up the disc structure is. So if these discs won't even play on Sony standalone dvd players, then it stands to reason they won't play or be recognized on all dvd-rom drives either.

I'd tell you to send the .ifos to Slysoft to increase James' personal collection, but as your optical drive can't see files on the disc at all with Anydvd uninstalled, there's not much point.

Last edited:
Then the problem isn't Anydvd. As Anydvd is not on your system at that point, Anydvd can't interfere or block the reading process.

I actually WANT AnyDVD to interfere with the reading process, ie remove whatever is stopping the DVD from being copied.

Possibly your reader or burner is slowing dying, the original disc is bad, or a number of other possibilities exist as well (including messed up ide/sata busdrivers, bad cable on the back of the drive, etc.)
Fairly unlikely. I copied 3 other DVDs (before and after Catch and Release) today with no problems.

In this case, however, I strongly suspect the disc is the issue. Some Acrros protected discs can't even be played (ironically, in some Sony) standalone dvd players. That's how messed up the disc structure is. So if these discs won't even play on Sony standalone dvd players, then it stands to reason they won't play or be recognized on all dvd-rom drives either.
Which sounds like the most likely cause. A new variation of bad sector based copy protection.

BTW AnyDVD ripper's error message is "(Red X) FileIO VTS_02_4.VOB 555968512 401408 (OK button)" at TitleSet 2 53% Processed. If that means anything to anyone.

Edit: I'm currently watching the DVD on the same PC via CyberLink PowerDVD. It seems to be working ok, I'll post back if it dies around 45%-53%.

Last edited:
I actually WANT AnyDVD to interfere with the reading process, ie remove whatever is stopping the DVD from being copied.

In order for Anydvd to work, windows/your drive must actually be able to see the disc/files in some manner first.
If your OS doesn't report anything with Anydvd uninstalled, then the problem isn't Anydvd.

The issue here has nothing to do with Anydvd. The issue is your optical drive can't see the disc even when Anydvd is unistalled.

The limiting factor here is your optical drive. The fault lies with Sony/Lionsgate for releasing discs that can't even be viewed by all dvd-rom drives.

Anydvd has no bearing on this issue.

Edit: I'm currently watching the DVD on the same PC via CyberLink PowerDVD. It seems to be working ok, I'll post back if it dies around 45%-53%.

I thought you said you couldn't see files on the disc. :confused:

Do this, please:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=330

Last edited:
In order for Anydvd to work, windows/your drive must actually be able to see the disc/files in some manner first.
If your OS doesn't report anything, then the problem isn't Anydvd.

The issue here has nothing to do with Anydvd. The issue is your optical drive can't see the disc even when Anydvd is unistalled.

The limiting factor here is your optical drive. The fault lies with Sony.

Anydvd has no bearing on this issue.
AnyDVD's bearing on the issue is that it's meant to remove copy protection and it's not doing it properly in this case.

Isn't it possible, nay very probable, that Sony has just changed it's method of copy protection in this new release? As a user I fully expect studios to do this from time to time and then Slysoft to upgrade AnyDVD soon after to handle it. Otherwise AnyDVD would be at version 1.0.

Now if anyone has the R4 version of Catch and Release, and has copied it with the current version of AnyDVD, please let me know. In that case it would be probable that it was my hardware.

I thought you said you couldn't see files on the disc. :confused:
I can't.

But I don't need to to play the DVD with PowerDVD. Just double-click the icon. Click on select source button. Click on E:\Catch_and_release. Click Play. It plays (currently 35mins into the movie, at least).

Also as I said earlier, DVD Decrypter seems to be able to see at least some of the files as it gets to 45%. AnyDVD ripper also appears to see the files at least to 53%.

Windows Explorer however, doesn't.

And it's only on this disc. I can read others fine.

I can't as I can't see the files, as I said in my previous reply.

AnyDVD's bearing on the issue is that it's meant to remove copy protection and it's not doing it properly in this case.

No. If your OS can't see the disc with Anydvd uninstalled, that's not Anydvd's fault.

Many months ago, there were people in R1 erroneously making the same claims with Sony Arccos protected discs that Anydvd works perfectly fine with. "Oh my drive can't see the disc. It must be Anydvd's fault." Uh no. It's not. Your system can't even see the disc with Anydvd uninstalled. Period.

Isn't it possible, nay very probable, that Sony has just changed it's method of copy protection in this new release?

That's always possible, but if your system can't see the disc, it can't see the disc.

Also as I said earlier, DVD Decrypter seems to be able to see at least some of the files as it gets to 45%. AnyDVD ripper also appears to see the files at least to 53%.

Playing back and ripping are two separate processes. I doubt very much this is an Anydvd issue.

Last edited:
Do you have proof that this is the case in this situation?

If your system can't see the disc with Anydvd uninstalled, I suggest you have bigger issues at hand than whether Anydvd is working properly (you can blame your optical drive or the original disc--or both).

I've (and a number of others here) have had same long, similar threads when people's drives in R1 couldn't see Saw3 with Anydvd uninstalled (this was the first R1 disc with Across on it). Some guy was wailing on and on about how it must be Anydvd's fault that his Dell system couldn't see this disc. If your drive can't see the original disc with Anydvd uninstalled, then the issue has absolutely nothing to do with Anydvd. What you're arguing about is nothing new. If you don't believe me, then don't believe me.

I have yet to see any protection where all dvd-rom drives can't see the discs at all with Anydvd uninstalled (even R2 Protect-dvds discs will show files; the OS will report the wrong file size, but the dvd-rom drives will see the discs).

Hmmm . . . http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=218947
and then
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1787360&postcount=5

Last edited:
Back