• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Looking to purchase a Blu Ray Burner

vcruz31

I have a Toshiba Satellite L355D-S7825..no SATA connection..only USB 2.0..which are some of the best internal blu ray burners out there for my labtop?? I will also need an outer casing for it. Any recommendations??

Last edited:
I have a Toshiba Satellite L355D-S7825..no SATA connection..only USB 2.0..which are some of the best internal blu ray burners out there for my labtop?? I will also need an outer casing for it. Any recommendations??

Your best bet is probably going to be an internal drive in an external case that accepts the SATA drive and has a USB connection to the computer. Something along the lines of these from Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

There are several threads in this section recommending Bluray drives.

Last edited:
Thanks..I appreciate the quick responses. One more question: Speed I should burn 4x or 8x?

Last edited:
burn at the speed shown on your blank BD-R media....exam: burn BD-Rs at 4X & BD-R RLs @ 2X ....that's the safest

Wow..just found out my girlfriend's computer has a SATA connection.
Questions: Is the Pioneer still the best? Do I still need the external enclosure? and do I still burn BD-Rs at 4X & BD-R RLs @ 2X?

Wow..just found out my girlfriend's computer has a SATA connection.
Questions: Is the Pioneer still the best? Do I still need the external enclosure? and do I still burn BD-Rs at 4X & BD-R RLs @ 2X?

Hi :)
Just because it has a SATA port doesn't mean it is compatible with ODD's.
Post make/model of board so we can tell you whether it is or not.
Alternative you could just go & buy a Pioneer (still the best in my opinion).
It you have problems, then you could always add a PCI SATA Controller card.
If needing the latter make sure it is based on SiliconImage chipset.

burn speed

do I still burn BD-Rs at 4X & BD-R RLs @ 2X?

like said before: Burn at the speed printed on the BD-R or BD-R DL media you use (whether it be 2X or 4X) and this would be your safest setting...some prefer to select the "Maximum" setting in the burner's set up menu...which lets the burner determine the X speed setting.

Is a 25GB Blu Ray blank disc enough to hold an entire Blu Ray movie or will I have to split the movie into 2 discs in order to keep it's video & sound quality?

it depends vcruz. Its the same as with a dvd. If your source media is a single layer disc then yes you can do a disc to disc backup. However if it is a double layer disc (BD-50) then you have the same choices as with a DVD

* either use double layer blank
* shrink the disc or do a movie only backup with either ClownBD or BD-Rebuilder (i personally use the latter, strip all unneeded audio and do a full double layer backup to single layer WITHOUT quality loss to a single layer disc [takes a couple hours though depending on the system])
* split it into 2 discs

I Have ImgBurn & Nero 8 Burning Rom... both have indicators in the start up menu that show you the GB size of the original DVD or BluRay movie you Read/Ripped..so you know whether to burn with a BD-R 25gb or BD-R DL 50gb blank media.........OR, re author (Clown BD) to use a BD-R 25gb on a movie in excess of 25gbs..

re-authoring is not really needed. I've been using BD-Rebuilder for a while now using full disc backup and can say i get flawless backups for the entire disc starting from a DL to a SL. No visual quality loss. Just the same procedure, strip audio you don't want and let it recode. Hasnt failed me yet in about a dozen full disc backups. 45GB - 23.5 in about 8hrs, visually perfect.

"8 Hours"...

I do not re author, just gave that as an option to vcruz 31 ....for full disc backups, I only use now what you see in my signature....36 minutes usually...

hey

re-authoring is not really needed. I've been using BD-Rebuilder for a while now using full disc backup and can say i get flawless backups for the entire disc starting from a DL to a SL. No visual quality loss. Just the same procedure, strip audio you don't want and let it recode. Hasnt failed me yet in about a dozen full disc backups. 45GB - 23.5 in about 8hrs, visually perfect.

so to do a 1:1 copy of a blu ray disc it would take about 8 hours to rip and encode the disc??

I may be Wrong......

I always rip to HDD first max time has been 1 hr 45 min. BD rebuilder takes from 2 1/2 hrs. to 5 hrs depending on amout of compression for BD25 using IMGBurn to ISO Image don't burn to disc that much last time took about 1 1/2 hours. A 1 to one copy using AnyDVD and imageburn only possibly 2 1/2 hrs. on my system.

If you're recoding then you're not doing a 1:1 backup. 1:1 means double layer to double layer and single to single. The duration of that depends on the speed of your burner. If you're recoding well then it depends on your system. It can be a couple hours, it can be half a day.

hey

oh okay makes since thanks for the explanation...

i have a laptop that i wanted to pick up an external blu ray burner..but in your opinion what would be the best bang for the buck external blu ray burner..?? and what would be considered the fastest external blu ray burner right now?

I've got an internal drive (Pioneer BDR-205) and an eSATA external enclosure (VANTEC NST-530SU External Enclosure) for my laptop because all external Blu-ray drives use USB 2.0 which is very slow. If your laptop has an eSATA port, I would get a LG internal drive and an eSATA enclosure case.

EDIT:

For example, ripping Avatar

1). LG WH10LS30 on a C2Q 9650 desktop system: 51:31.

2). Pioneer BDR-205 w/eSATA enclosure case w/using a C2D T9900 laptop: 51:38

Last edited:
Hey

sorry if this might sound like a newbie question..but my laptop only has an expresscard 3/4 slot...??? is that the same like esata? is there an adapter?

thanks

There are some eSATA Expresscards available from Newegg, but they are not as fast as the direct eSATA connection. I think they are faster than USB 2.0 though.

Back