• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] The system cannot read from the specified device

mnorth

CloneDVD is giving me this message: "The system cannot read from the specified device" when it's in Creating DVD files (at 9% ) mode. I'm able to view the movie on the TV. I've cleaned the disk. I had no problem copying disks before and after this one. My firmware drive is current. AnyDVD and CloneDVD are also current. AnyDVD log is attached. So, what's the solution?

Attachments

• AnyDVD_6.7.5.0_Info_F_INDIANAJONES_TOD_169.zip
    111.4 KB · Views: 9
CloneDVD is giving me this message: "The system cannot read from the specified device" when it's in Creating DVD files (at 9% ) mode. I'm able to view the movie on the TV. I've cleaned the disk. I had no problem copying disks before and after this one. My firmware drive is current. AnyDVD and CloneDVD are also current. AnyDVD log is attached. So, what's the solution?

copy the disc with drag&drop in a folder of your choice or use other 1:1 clone tool i.e. Alcohol and try it again from this image or folder

A last resort, please upgrade to the latest AnyDVD version, install & press the 'default' buttin in the AnyDVD settings and try again.

AnyDVD_Status

Code:
Summary for drive F: (AnyDVD 6.7.5.0)
LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1673S JS0D 2005/08/22 16:41
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Current profile: DVD-ROM
Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1864288 sectors (3641 MBytes)
Total size: 3652956 sectors (7134 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: INDIANAJONES_TOD_169
Media is CSS protected!
Media is locked to region(s): 1!
Video Standard: NTSC

AI scan forced, heuristic scan detected no protection!
Found & removed structural copy protection!
Found & removed bogus title set(s)!
Found & removed RCE protection!
Found & removed Autorun from Video DVD!
Removed CSS copy protection!
Found & removed 3 potential bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!
The version of AnyDVD you are using ( 6.7.5.0 ) is up to date. If you are a registered user, I strongly recommend that you update to the latest beta version 6.7.5.3

Code:
LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1673S JS0D 2005/08/22 16:41
Please ensure you are using the latest firmware for your optical drive. See here.

Rip speeds on DVD and Blu-Ray might be improved by MediaCodeSpeedEdit. Please see RIPLOCK.
If installed (often from Duplex Secure, Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% ), uninstall SPTD, which is the culprit for slow rips.
See here and here.

You have forced the AI Scanner, this is not recommended. Please press the default button in the AnyDVD settings.

This disk contains structural protection & bad sector protection. Please either use AnyDVDs 'Rip To Harddrive' function or use CloneDVD. See here for details.

DirList

Problematic Process autorun Warning! this disk may contain a rootkit, or other unwanted software.

Don't insert this disk without AnyDVD running when Autorun is enabled. To disable autorun in Windows, see here.

If it has already been run, and you suspect it is a rootkit try to uninstall it with GMER or Sophos-Anti-Rootkit:
Code:
Directory: /
	AUTORUN.INF | LBA 3650588-3650588 | Size 73 (1) | icb: 283 | crc: ok
		Range 1: 3650588-3650588 (1), 0 (0)
	README.TXT | LBA 3650589-3650595 | Size 13914 (7) | icb: 284 | crc: ok
		Range 1: 3650589-3650595 (7), 0 (0)
	disc.id | LBA 3650596-3650596 | Size 166 (1) | icb: 285 | crc: ok
		Range 1: 3650596-3650596 (1), 0 (0)
	install.exe | LBA 3650597-3650957 | Size 738304 (361) | icb: 286 | crc: ok
		Range 1: 3650597-3650957 (361), 0 (0)
After carrying out the above recommendations, please create and post a new set of log files.

copy the disc with drag&drop in a folder of your choice or use other 1:1 clone tool i.e. Alcohol and try it again from this image or folder

drag & drop to my harddrive didn't work, get the following error message
"Cannot copy VTS_02_1: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)"

CRC is a pretty clear indicator of a faulty disc. Exchange it.

because READING and RIPPING are 2 completely different things. if a standalone sees a scratch and cant read the data it just skips it resulting in video you don't get to see. RIPPING on the other hand is BIT EXACT, if your drive cannot get past the scratch then it errors out resulting in a backup failure.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=324

Hardware (standalone) DVD players are inherently more fault tolerant. They have no clue about protections other than CSS, region coding, and RCE. They are very very dumb playback devices. The structural protections are meaningless to a standalone player. Worn, damaged, or defective discs may be playable simply because the player might be tolerant enough with error correction to get past something. Also, during playback of a disc you might never actually encounter the location of the bad spot so it's never actually accessed by the standalone DVD player. When making a backup of a disc every single sector is being looked at. DVD drives and software players generally aren't as fault tolerant and simply don't function in the same way as a standalone DVD player.

because READING and RIPPING are 2 completely different things. if a standalone sees a scratch and cant read the data it just skips it resulting in video you don't get to see. RIPPING on the other hand is BIT EXACT, if your drive cannot get past the scratch then it errors out resulting in a backup failure.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=324

thank you for the clarification/explanation
I followed the link you sent and ran the Nero program. That gave me this error: "L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR (031105)". My next step will be to exchange the disk.

Last edited:
As I stated in my post AnyDVD is current as are CloneDVD and the firmware. I did update AnyDVD to the beta version - didn't help. I tried MediaCodeSpeedEdit but it wouldn't load my firmware file. I clicked on the default button in AnyDVD - again, no help. Tried the rip to hard drive function in AnyDVD - no help. Regarding possible rootkit - GMER locked up my system. Although Sophos found files it didn't reccommend removing any of them.

As my post stated, AnyDVD, CloneDVD & firmware are all current versions.
I updated to the beta version of AnyDVD - didn't help.
MCSE wouldn't load my firmware file.
AnyDVDs 'Rip To Harddrive' function failed at 9%.
Autorun is disabled. AnyDVD is always on. GMER locked up my system. Sophos found files, but didn't recommend cleaning/deleting any of them.

Solved

So, the simple solution was the best. I exchanged the disk and I was able to make a copy.

Thank you all for your help.

Back