• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Anydvd does not automatically check for updates

sneakers

I have the it checked under program settings but it doesn't work.

do you have a firewall that might be stopping the communication?

The windows xp firewall and the firewall built into my router.

Last edited:
first off, turn it off, it's not gonna protect you from anything.

Do you connect to the internet via a router?

I connect to the internet via a Router with a built in Firewall. So, I have 2 Firewalls the windows and one bult into the Router.

yes, the anydvd icon is visible in my tray.

I connect to the internet via a Router with a built in Firewall. So, I have 2 Firewalls the windows and one bult into the Router.

yes, the anydvd icon is visible in my tray.

IMO you can turn Windows Firewall off. Check the router firewall and see if AnyDVD has permission to access the internet. If a new version is available, a popup should open after AnyDVD starts telling you a new version is available and asking if you want to download it.

Hardware firewall NAT routers generally won't block outbound access for Anydvd. However, Windows firewall probably needs permission to allow Anydvd to connect, especially if access was denied previously. Anydvd checks for updates on startup (when it's first run).

By the way, most freeware firewalls (even Zonealarm) do a better job than Windows firewall.

Last edited:
Hardware firewall NAT routers generally won't block outbound access for Anydvd. However, Windows firewall probably needs permission to allow Anydvd to connect, especially if access was denied previously. Anydvd checks for updates on startup (when it's first run).

Windows firewall does not block client-only socket connections. It will only prompt/block permission for apps that open server sockets (i.e. bind()).

By the way, most freeware firewalls (even Zonealarm) do a better job than Windows firewall.

Agreed. ZoneAlarm does a great job at blocking both client & server processes. The registry stuff is annoying sometimes, but I assume this is much better than the UAC stuff in Vista.

Windows firewall does not block client-only socket connections. It will only prompt/block permission for apps that open server sockets (i.e. bind()).

O.k. thanks, I wasn't aware of that; I didn't realize the extent of how incredibly useless Windows firewall was.

Then I suspect the issue is that Anydvd checks for updates when the program is initially run (and not constantly while running, which perhaps the OP expects to happen).

Last edited:
O.k. thanks, I wasn't aware of that; I didn't realize the extent of how incredibly useless Windows firewall was.

Then I suspect the issue is that Anydvd checks for updates when the program is initially run (and not constantly while running, which perhaps the OP expects to happen).

Yeah it's not meant to block outgoing client apps...otherwise Microsoft's tech support lines would be ringing off the hook. :D

I surmise that SlySoft doesn't make AnyDVD check for updates on startup, but more of a graceful every day or so. That would probably help with the server loading by spreading it out instead of everyone at the same time. Just imagine them getting hit with 'update checks' as people turn on their computers around the same time in the evenings...granted it's probably by timezone.

I surmise that SlySoft doesn't make AnyDVD check for updates on startup, but more of a graceful every day or so.

No. You can test this yourself. Anydvd checks for an update everytime it is first loaded up. Anydvd loads, and then shortly thereafter, Anydvd looks for an update. Clonedvd does the same thing. They both check when run.

Last edited:
Back