• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

TMT 5 Released

Please elaborate. How could it be better than TMT3 or TMT2 or PowerDVD or ... whatever when playing back HD content? It is decoded by the graphics hardware anyway.

HD content has always been on par with PDVD. When I talk about PQ, I'm talking about DVD and file playback mostly. They've VASTLY improved their extremely BAD DVD upscaling quality so that it matches or exceeds that of PDVD10 now.

any reason that they pulled a Winamp here and jumped straight to 5? From what you're saying there aren't even that many new features. Are there any significant ones that might interest this crowd?

edit: OK, ipod touch remote looks interesting, though MC remote can also control my AVR. still not overly convincing...

Last edited:
It's an improvement over TMT3. They finally integrated the Aero checkbox. MKV support is improving, albeit still has a way to go IMO. The interface has been radically changed. Some may like it, some may not. 3D support has suppoedly been vastly improved with the UI now working correctly in 3D. I can't test that. Oh, and YOUTUBE SUPPORT! OMG FINALLY! I've waited SO LONG for that!!! :rolleyes: Yea, um, anyway. I'm personally using it now as my only player, but, others may see no reason to upgrade. And quite frankly, it'd be difficult for me to make the case that they should.

When asking what compelling reasons there are to upgrade on their site, Arcsoft Jason responded
Anecdotally, I've heard a lot of favorable response about the picture quality in TMT5 being really strong (MissingRemote wrote "Excellent BD picture quality"). It's the kind of thing you should judge for yourself in your own environment though.

We have not announced any plans to discontinue support for TMT3 at this time, but you can expect it will be deemphasised just like TMT2 was upon TMT3's launch.

Sooo I guess that at some point we will all pay the upgrade fee just to keep current (unless SlyPlayer is out!)

HD content has always been on par with PDVD. When I talk about PQ, I'm talking about DVD and file playback mostly.

SamuriHL - any comments on Blu/HD-DVD playback PQ/AQ (lipsync etc)? Same as TMT3?

It's not really any different than other companies. Cyberlink does the same. Corel does the same. The new baby always gets the most attention. Probably cause they need it more. LOL. :) In any case I like TMT5 but I'm cautious about recommending it to everyone as an "upgrade" over TMT3. For me it certainly is. Others will have to trial it and see what they think.

SamuriHL - any comments on Blu/HD-DVD playback PQ/AQ (lipsync etc)? Same as TMT3?

It's outstanding as it always has been. It's the best you're going to get on an HTPC. As James said, this comes down to the hardware you're running it on, but, it doesn't do anything to adversely affect the PQ on my machines. AQ is the same. With ReClock, perhaps MKV might be...cough cough better. That's all I'm saying on that. :)

I didn't realize another thread had been created on this in the Third Party forum. I've merged them. Thanks!

Frankly with bluray, and at least the ATI 5770 and Nvidia 460, I haven't seen any obvious differences in bluray playback between TMT2, 3, PowerDVD 7.3, 8, 9, and WinDVD 2010. Not even with test graphs. Except one time when using YCbCr with the 460, output WinDVD would give greater banding (test content). I played the older versions of those programs with both a 4550 and 4670 and didn't notice much of a difference either except a scaling bug long gone that didn't allow for 1:1 pixel mapping.

Yea, Blu-ray is one thing, but, DVD upscaling is entirely different. I turn off hardware acceleration for that in both PDVD10 and TMT and I can tell you that TMT5 is VASTLY improved in that regard. They did a great job. But Blu-ray...well, the PQ is pretty much the same across all the players I've seen. It's only when you use something like madVR with software decoding that you'll see any difference there.

Hi SamuriHL - have you had a chance to check that TMT5 is not Cinavia infected?

It's not....yet. It's highly expected that at some point both it and PDVD10 will be. In fact, I personally suspect the PDVD10 patch has been delayed due to them implementing it now. Who knows when TMT5 will get it, but, since it's a new player it's almost certain that at some point it will.

It's not....yet. It's highly expected that at some point both it and PDVD10 will be. In fact, I personally suspect the PDVD10 patch has been delayed due to them implementing it now. Who knows when TMT5 will get it, but, since it's a new player it's almost certain that at some point it will.
Will they also force Cinavia into TMT3?

Back