• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Movie stutters at mid-point of disc?

yahknow1

Hi all,

I seem to be having a problem that I'm hoping someone can recognise and help me fix?

BenQ DW 1655
HTPC - home built
AMD Sempron 3200+
Abit Socket 754 NVIDIA chipset
NVIDIA Pure Video Decoder
1GB Generic PC2100 DDR
CloneDVD
AnyDVD

Now it seems whenever I play a DVD movie, burned or comercial disc, I get half-way through the movie and can expect to have some pauses (or stutters)then the movie plays fine for awhile. These pauses last 1-2 seconds and It happens more often with discs I've burnt with CloneDVD, although that is what I watch most, so maybe there's no correllation there?

The problem isn't worth dragging out my stand-alone DVD player, but I sure wish I could figure out why it's doing this? I was thinking about buying a new drive until I read Webslingers stickey on drive recomendations, and since I have one of the three recomended drives, I thought I'd post here to see if there's anything else I could try?

I went to the BenQ service page to see if I could update the firmware but it didn't look like there was any newer version...in fact, I tryed to do this last year when the drive was new and ended up in the same dillemma?...no firmware files at all, that I could find? There are a couple programs on setting the "book type" but I hesitate to use these because I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing and it appears this is more for compatability than anything else?

My first hunch would be "system resources" running low, but with 1Gb ram, I would think it's not an issue? Also, I have very little Startup apps running so I don't think that's it?

The only thing that is constant is the stutter always happens in the middle of the movie...

Can somebody help me with this? Thanks in advance!:agree:

Now it seems whenever I play a DVD movie, burned or comercial disc

If it's happening with commercial dvds, then it sounds to me as though your drive is dying (basically it's getting hung up at the layer break position).

Try the discs in another drive or a standalone dvd player. If they play fine, then the discs are fine. Then you can start examining whether the issue is a dying drive or some software issue on your system.

Thanks Webslinger, I was thinking about swapping out the drive when I searched and found your link on "Optical Burner Reviews" and found that I had one of the preferred drives....By luck mainly, although I did some looking through "The Green Button" forums last year before I assembled this HTPC.

As for the discs hanging on other players...NO they don't. Now, before I jump out and replace this drive, is there anything you know of that I can examine software-wise to rule out/pinpoint a problem? I think you would have already suggested this, but I'm just making sure....DVD drives are so cheap these days it really is not a big issue for me. AND what drive out of the three suggested would YOU buy?

And one more thing while I'm here...I'm thinking about buying a HD DVD drive in the future for this PC..so do you know of a stand alone HDDVD drive? I've looked a couple places and no one seems to sell them? (none at Newegg at least) Have you herd of one coming down the pipeline in the next few months? The only drive I've been able to find is the HP USB External that reads only....I really like being able to rip copies of my movies, so I'll be waiting I think?

Also, do you think my system will handle the files ok?(lol, I'm guessing I'll need to upgrade again...maybe not?)

Well thanks for all your help:clap:

As for the discs hanging on other players...NO they don't. Now, before I jump out and replace this drive, is there anything you know of that I can examine software-wise to rule out/pinpoint a problem?

I would just try to ensure I don't have many programs running in the background--and try more than one software dvd player program. And if I really wanted to make sure my optical drive wasn't the problem, I would try to swap it in another system to see if the problem goes away.

AND what drive out of the three suggested would YOU buy?

I own a Plextor PX-760 (and a number of other burners). I don't use the PX-760 to read/rip, however (I just use it to burn). And Plextor burners are not cheap. I prefer not recommending burners actually. Just visit the burner review sites that I have stickied.

I'm thinking about buying a HD DVD drive in the future for this PC..so do you know of a stand alone HDDVD drive?

I think most people in the Anydvd HD forums are using an Xbox 360 add-on drive.

Also, do you think my system will handle the files ok?(lol, I'm guessing I'll need to upgrade again...maybe not?)

You do need a fairly powerful system (and Anydvd HD, of course). visit http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/require_112_ENU.html

Now I did it!

Well, I bought the pioneer 112D and installed it and it doesn't recognize any discs! HELP!

What I've done so far:

1)At first I found it didn't have a region code: I assigned it a 1=USA
2)rebooted the machine twice. In Explorer, the first time drive came up as "D:CD/DVD Drive" The second time it came up as "D:CD Drive" This is what the old drive said?

It seems as though the OS recognizes the drive, but none of the programs are recognising it? Maybe going into BIOS to set something?

The drive won't recognize any disc, Commercial or my own copies?
The Hardware manager says "this device is working properly", but obviously it's not?

I'm guessing it's something easy that I'm overlooking, I just can't remember what it is I need to do, it's been a long time since I replaced a optical drive in a machine that originally had a diffrent drive in it....What am I forgetting to do?

What am I forgetting to do?

1. Are you using an 80 wire cable (and not an old 40 wire one)? If not you should be.

2. Try a different 80 wire cable (maybe the one you're using is bad)

3 . Is the burner set to master (jumper on the back of the drive), and connected appropriately on the cable?

4. Is DMA enabled for your burner?

5. List your lower and upper filters (see step 4 from here

6. Maybe you bought a dud. It happens sometimes. Test the burner in another machine.

The drive won't recognize any disc, Commercial or my own copies?

Based on what evidence? What program is giving you an error message? What is the full error message?

7. Do step 8 from here please

Last edited:
1. Are you using an 80 pin cable (and not an old 40 pin one)? If not you should be.

3 . Is the burner set to master (jumper on the back of the drive), and connected appropriately on the cable?

An 80 pin cable comes with most new drives. You can use CS (Cable Select) on the drive, but it must be on the Master (black) connector.

An 80 pin cable comes with most new drives.

A lot of people are buying oem burners that don't come with cables. Then they install their new burner with an existing old cable that they used before.

That said, the DW 1655 likely required an 80 wire cable anyway, but it never hurts to ask . . .

Last edited:
80 pin cable, what is that? I'm using a standared 40 pin PATA IDE cable? I've never seen an 80 pin cable...where would I get one? and do I REALLY need one? The 40 pin one I'm using tests good.

On the phone with Pioneer tech support this morning. The tech had me test a couple things and then he concluded the drive was bad. I sent the Pioneer DVR-112 back to Newegg.com and went down to Best Buy and bought the Pioneer DVR-1810 (Exact same Drive). After installing the drive it does the same thing!!!!Will not read DVD OR CD's for that matter. It'll read what's on the disc(to some extent)but will not play the media. In the case of the music CD. it could tell me what was on the disc, but only played the music in short-choppy-bursts...then the drive would give up trying and skip to the next song...then repeated the whole process?

As for weather DMA is enabled? I'm not sure where to look for that? I used to be able to find it? I've went into "Control Panel" and "My Computer" and highlighted "Properties" in each but cant find the DMA/PIO setting anywhere?

"List your lower and upper filters" are as follows:

LowerFilters REG_MULTI_SZ AnyDVD ElbyDelay PxHelp20 Pfc

UpperFilters REG_MULTI_SZ GEARAspiWDM

Clicking "Settings" on the red fox gives me the following:

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.1.3.6)
PIONEER DVD-RWDVR-112D 1.06 06/11/29PIONEER
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1997488 sectors (3901 MBytes)
Total size: 3971720 sectors (7757 MBytes)

Webslinger, I haven't played around a lot with different programs trying to get discs to play since I want my MCE2005 to play through media center...Hopefully you can get enough info from what I'm posting here to help me? I DO have a suspicion that it's one of these Slysoft programs hanging me up? What would happen if I were to un-install all the Slysoft programs?....That prolly won't work due to all the registry item still left in?

PLEASE HELP ME:doh:

A lot of people are buying oem burners that don't come with cables. Then they install their new burner with an existing old cable that they used before.

That said, the DW 1655 likely required an 80 pin cable anyway, but it never hurts to ask . . .
Well Webslinger, I counted the pins on the connector and there are only40...I still haven't never herd of an 80 pin cable? Alas, the new (non-OEM) expensive Pioineer drive didn't come with a cable, but remember, this machine I put together is only a year old and I used all new cables back then....

As for weather DMA is enabled? I'm not sure where to look for that? I used to be able to find it? I've went into "Control Panel" and "My Computer" and highlighted "Properties" in each but cant find the DMA/PIO setting anywhere?

I'm guessing you're using Windows XP. Visit http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7625

LowerFilters REG_MULTI_SZ AnyDVD ElbyDelay PxHelp20 Pfc

UpperFilters REG_MULTI_SZ GEARAspiWDM

filters look fine

Clicking "Settings" on the red fox gives me the following:

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.1.3.6)
PIONEER DVD-RWDVR-112D 1.06 06/11/29PIONEER
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1997488 sectors (3901 MBytes)
Total size: 3971720 sectors (7757 MBytes)

Is that a commercial disc? Please use a retail dvd. Thanks

I DO have a suspicion that it's one of these Slysoft programs hanging me up? What would happen if I were to un-install all the Slysoft programs?....That prolly won't work due to all the registry item still left in?

I'd recommend following all the steps listed here:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=1559 (especially step 3)

Keep in mind for step 1, when you reinstall Anydvd, use 6.1.4.2 from http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=3986

Well Webslinger, I counted the pins on the connector and there are only40...I still haven't never herd of an 80 pin cable? Alas, the new (non-OEM) expensive Pioineer drive didn't come with a cable, but remember, this machine I put together is only a year old and I used all new cables back then....

You need an 80 wire cable. They are very common and cheap. Err, the 80 refers to the number of wires. Sorry . . .
I often make that mistake when I refer to 80 wire cables.

ide8040pin.jpg

Both cables have 40 pins (well 39 really), but the number of wires differ.

visit http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/howto_connect_ide_hd.html

Last edited:
Ok sorry for the confusion. I AM using an 80 pin cable and it does check good. I still don't know how they can call it a 80 pin cable when there's only 40 pin-holes on the actual connecter and 40 strands of wire in the ribbon cable?

It's my mistake, sorry.

Anyway, go through what I wrote here

Well, kick my butt! Sorry Webslinger, I wasn't using an 80 pin! That last picture you sent made me double check! I looked in my supply drawers though and I do have one. I'll report back after I change it out...

Oh and by the way that "settings page" I pasted into the post. it WAS a retail disc? from a boxed set I purchased....should I change the cable and then look?

Well, kick my butt! Sorry Webslinger, I wasn't using an 80 pin!

Errr . . . wire lol

it WAS a retail disc? from a boxed set I purchased....should I change the cable and then look?

Yes

There should be more information than that. I thought you cut half of the information out. Use a retail movie dvd please to test.
Ensure DMA is enabled

Last edited:
Webslinger, you are the MAN...Everything seems to be working great now! What did they change in an 80 pin verses 40 pin cable without changing the connector? Resistance?

Webslinger, you are the MAN...Everything seems to be working great now!

That's great! :clap:

What did they change in an 80 pin verses 40 pin cable without changing the connector? Resistance?

Mostly improves the signal (lowers interference) . . . the other 40 wires are basically grounded

from http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

"The obvious question, of course, is this: what's the point of adding 40 extra wires to a cable if they aren't connected to anything? :^) Well for starters, the 40 wires are connected to something, just not their own pins on the interface connectors. The extra 40 wires don't carry new information, they are just used to separate the "real" 40 signal wires, to reduce interference and other signaling problems associated with higher-speed transfers. So the 40 extra conductors are connected to ground, interspersed between the original 40 conductors of the old cable. Any stray signals that would "cross-talk" between adjacent wires on the 40-conductor cable are "absorbed" by these extra ground wires, improving signal integrity. The extra ground wires can be either all of the even-numbered wires, or all of the odd-numbered wires in the cable."

But everything is turning to SATA now, so I don't know for how much longer these cables are going to matter.

Last edited:
Back