• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

VobBlanker 2.1.3.0 released

DrinkLyeAndDie

Retired Moderator
VobBlanker 2.1.3.0 is official. Refer to jsoto's VobBlanker page for download links and the changelog.

Last edited:
ANYDVD vs. VOBBlanker

I wonder if jsoto will feel compelled to try to figure out if the files sitting on a hard drive were put there with AnyDVD running in the background before launching VOBBlanker for some reason?
Be that as it may - VOBBlanker is a terrific utility - and many thanks to the author for continuing to improve it (except for the AnyDVD check, of course) and make it available as freeware for us less talented folks.

Each DVD ripper does not leave markers saying who did what.

Some day I'm hoping CloneDVD makes VobBlanker and PGCEdit not needed. All that I'd need is a function James was mentioning in the CloneDVD beta thread...the ability to rip menus apart. That would satisfy me completely. Nonetheless, VobBlanker is an excellent product and jsoto should be highly praised for his efforts on it. Yea, it's a little sad that the checks are in there but it's understandable.

CloneDVD2 Upgrades

Personally, I'd be happy with CloneDVD2 if it included the powerful re-authoring features of DVDShrink. I won't bore everyone with the list - since it has been discussed ad nauseum in CDFreaks and doesn't ever result in any program improvements anyway. Elby is obviously in strict maintenance mode with CloneDVD2.

Or - I'd be happy as a clam using just DVDShrink even without any decrypting abilities - if it included the ability to retain menus in re-authoring mode. That's the only feature that I see in CloneDVD2 that I value that I can't do in DVDShrink.

You just want it all, don't you Rich86? LOL! I'm kidding. :) But yes, the reauthoring power of Shrink is impressive except for the menu thing, but, if you think about it, how could they do the menus if you're reauthoring from multiple sources? They'd need to include a menu editor of sorts so that you can manufacture you're own menu for the stuff you add. I don't think we're going to see any product adding that any time soon.

You just want it all, don't you Rich86? LOL! I'm kidding. :) But yes, the reauthoring power of Shrink is impressive except for the menu thing, but, if you think about it, how could they do the menus if you're reauthoring from multiple sources? They'd need to include a menu editor of sorts so that you can manufacture you're own menu for the stuff you add. I don't think we're going to see any product adding that any time soon.

Agreed. However, I'd be perfectly happy if the re-authoring while retaining menus option disabled the option to include titles from multiple folders.
Notice I did not ask for the power of pgcedit, voblanker and/or fixvts be included - so I'm not being as greedy as one might be . . .

To be fair - in DVDShrink - you can stay out of re-author mode (thus retaining menus) and save space by forcing different compression ratios on individual titles, and/or replacing actual videos (extras, etc.) with still images. Unfortunately, it does not change the run time of the item - thus a 17 minute extra you don't care about can be forced to take up much less space, but it will still run for 17 minutes. CloneDVD2 handles a title you do not care to retain at all much better by simply showing a blank screen momentarily, and then proceeding. Of course it does not permit the user to set varying compression ratios for individual titles.

Last edited:
Agreed. However, I'd be perfectly happy if the re-authoring while retaining menus option disabled the option to include titles from multiple folders.
Notice I did not ask for the power of pgcedit, voblanker and/or fixvts be included - so I'm not being as greedy as one might be . . .

To be fair - in DVDShrink - you can stay out of re-author mode (thus retaining menus) and save space by forcing different compression ratios on individual titles, and/or replacing actual videos (extras, etc.) with still images. Unfortunately, it does not change the run time of the item - thus a 17 minute extra you don't care about can be forced to take up much less space, but it will still run for 17 minutes. CloneDVD2 handles a title you do not care to retain at all much better by simply showing a blank screen momentarily, and then proceeding. Of course it does not permit the user to set varying compression ratios for individual titles.

Yes, that "feature" of DVD Shrink annoys me. If you're going to blank something out, BLANK IT OUT for crying out loud. :) Why in the hell would I want to sit there and watch a blank screen for 15 minutes instead of the previews I was trying to get rid of in the first place?! :)

Nonetheless, I don't think we'll see that kind of reauthor mode in CloneDVD any time soon. And Shrink is surely not going to be resurrected at all. It's a shame...I'd LOVE to see a new version of shrink with the decryption code removed and OSS'd...that'd rock.

VOBBlanker is a terrific utility - and many thanks to the author for continuing to improve it (except for the AnyDVD check, of course)
although i havent used this program,i did notice the anydvd check feature in the change log.
does that mean this program will not work with anydvd running?or that it will only work when anydvd is running?what implications does this have on using vobblanker with copy protected movies,if any?

although i havent used this program,i did notice the anydvd check feature in the change log.
does that mean this program will not work with anydvd running?or that it will only work when anydvd is running?what implications does this have on using vobblanker with copy protected movies,if any?

It will NOT run if it detects AnyDVD, DVD43, or DVDRegionFree running. He does not want his product used for "ripping". So, what you need to do instead is first use AnyDVD to rip to the hard drive, and then open it with VobBlanker. Yes, this is a pain that requires more processing time, but, that's how it goes I'm afraid...

It will not start if it detects AnyDVD running.

jsoto's words sum it up best...

- VobBlanker is strictly an editing tool, designed to be applied in unprotected and no-copyrighted sources. It has nothing to do with ripping or protection removing practices.

It will NOT run if it detects AnyDVD, DVD43, or DVDRegionFree running. He does not want his product used for "ripping". So, what you need to do instead is first use AnyDVD to rip to the hard drive, and then open it with VobBlanker. Yes, this is a pain that requires more processing time, but, that's how it goes I'm afraid...
easiest soloution then is to stick with the previous version and not the updated one??
from what i can gather from other users,vobblanker is a great tool-even before this updated version.
i think this guys has shot himself in the foot with this new version-as people are gonna want the easier solution (ie use previous version of vobb) rather than doing 2 processes.

Last edited:
what does he think this program IS going to be used for?
hands up anyone who doesnt use this program on (purchased) movie dvd's?
your hardly gonna use it on your own dvd recording of a home video or something off the telly...are you??

easiest soloution then is to stick with the previous version and not the updated one??
from what i can gather from other users,vobblanker is a great tool-even before this updated version.
i think this guys has shot himself in the foot with this new version-as people are gonna want the easier solution (ie use previous version of vobb) rather than doing 2 processes.

Which is great and all if you don't need the 2 pages of changes he's added to this new version. Some of us do need those changes and therefore need to use the new version. Therefore you'll need to rip it first. If you don't need the new features or happen to have one of the betas still kicking around, then great.

what does he think this program IS going to be used for?
hands up anyone who doesnt use this program on (purchased) movie dvd's?
your hardly gonna use it on your own dvd recording of a home video or something off the telly...are you??

It has uses other than on copy-protected DVDs but in the end that really is not the point. He's doing what he can to protect himself. His program is for editing DVDs. It's not a ripper. If he didn't add something like this then we'd all be screwed because he'd likely quit updating the program and be a target like FixVTS, etc.

Don't blame the guy for trying to protect himself, his investment, and letting the thankful people like me to continue using the program with updates and fixes.

It's your choice to not update but you won't get the added bugfixes, etc. It's really not that huge a deal to handle a DVD off your HDD, though. Your choice.

i just tried this with hostel dvd(pal/uk):
exit anydvd.start vobblanker 2130.start anydvd.the disc now opens.

edit:
with anydvd exited,hostel is opened even without starting anydvd.

Last edited:

edit:

Hit the process button...

VOBBlanker vs. AnyDVD

In all honesty, I have never had the urge to run VOBBlanker against encrypted files anyway, nor have I ever launched it with AnyDVD activated.
But if you feel the need for that for some reason, look for version 2130-beta10 on the net. It looks like the only difference between that and the final 2130 is adding the anydvd check code. It must be out there somewhere. Everything else is . . .

edit:

Won't work as I tried. :)

Hit the process button...

:agree:

In all honesty, I have never had the urge to run VOBBlanker against encrypted files anyway, nor have I ever launched it with AnyDVD activated.
But if you feel the need for that for some reason, look for version 2130-beta10 on the net. It looks like the only difference between that and the final 2130 is adding the anydvd check code. It must be out there somewhere. Everything else is . . .

Correct the people that are complaining now did use vobblanker to rip apparently:doh: 8)

Back