• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What DVD-R Media Do You Use

I use Fuji 8x DVD-R blank that I get online from Sam's Club (I don't think they're available in store). They're about $28 for a spindle of 100.

I've gone through about 10 spindles in the past year and only had one "coaster". Pretty happy, although I'm guessing even though they are Fuji brand that someone else actually makes them.

I have about 400 movies, and some are Fuji (about 125). The Fuji's are about 1 to 2 years old. I have started transfering those movies to Verbatim disc and am finding 30% are unreadable when they get towards the end of the disc. My suggestion is to use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden unless you enjoy making backups on a regular basis. :disagree:

Also I have found that how you store then makes a huge difference. Don't use those binders at all. Buy the slim cases.:agree:

So far everyone has talked about the good media. What about the bad media that we all need to stay away from? Personally, I would never buy anything from Memorex. Their SL discs lock my drive after a burn and the DL discs are just expensive coasters:mad:

So far everyone has talked about the good media. What about the bad media that we all need to stay away from? Personally, I would never buy anything from Memorex. Their SL discs lock my drive after a burn and the DL discs are just expensive coasters:mad:

The bad media list is a long one.....generally, everything that isn't Ty or Verbatim is bad.

Makes more sense to show WHAT to buy versus what not to buy. There are threads all over this forum where we express "opinions" on what to use and not use. This shows we actually use the products we suggest and know how good they are compared to all the rest, because we have already been down that road.

I've used Memorex disc for three years now. They have all worked. I use them for the slip case soft binder cd/dvd holder for the coffee table. I don't mind if they get scrached pulling them out and putting them back in the soft disc cases.

My main backup(Archive) discs are Sony Accucore discs (Burned at 1x). I leave them in slim jewel cases on the shelf. If the memorex discs get scrached I pull a sony disc and make another back up(Burned at 4x). I don't pull the originals out except right after I buy them and make a back up.

I've used the Pioneer SL Burners and the Memorex External x16 and x18 with only one drive going bad as a burner(still reads like a champ).

I've used the Memorex -R for years. Have used one hundred Memorex +R DL without any problems Burned 1x. I've also used Maxell, Pioneer, and TDK.

I've started using the Sony +R DLs and haven't had any problem except two of my players aren't compatable with +R formats.

Slysoft has been the best software of any that I have used. I have not used them all...but I've used quite a few.

Just my .02

-Waz

I've used Memorex disc for three years now. They have all worked.
-Waz

You are indeed very fortunate. I have not been able to use Memorex Audio CD-R in a Sony CD recorder, although it likes Verbatim Audio CD-R and even the cheap GQ Audio CD-R from Frys.

Got any tips on Lottery numbers? :D

I'd add Sony to that list :agree:

Actually I have been copying my movies from Fuji, Memorex and Sony discs to Verbatims. About 30% of the Fujis are unreadable, 100% of the Memorex are unreadable, and 90% of the Sonys are unreadable.

125 Fuji
50 Sony
30 Memorex

1 to 2 years old.

Im not surprised that your Memorex discs don't work. I havent had one work yet. I am surprised that most of your Sony discs failed too, i havent had one go bad on me. :bowdown:

Started out only using Maxell DVD-R's made in Japan, can no longer find them, then I ordered Taiyo Yuden DVD-R's from SupermediaStore, haven't looked back.

Started out only using Maxell DVD-R's made in Japan

You'd have to look for Maxell Plus and Maxell Broadcast Quality to find Maxell dvd-rs that are made in Japan now. Both are excellent. The generic Maxell discs (that most people buy) are not good, however (and they aren't made in Japan).

Last edited:
Media

I use mostly TDK (CMC) 16x DVD+R, inkjet printable media, burned at 4x or 8x booktype set to dvd-rom.
They perform very reliably on my system (Benq and Lite-On burners) and read/play everywhere consistently.

TYs and Verbatim. But lately I have used Sony DVD-R and they have been excellent and their Media Code shows they are made by Sony. I get them from Staples, on sale, for $24.94 a 100. Not bad at all!

I also have been using these but only for about 5 months so I don't know how they hold up long term.

The media code is SONY16D1 and is listed in the '1ST CLASS MEDIA' listing here:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

So far for me the burns have been great and they've worked as expected. We'll see how they hold up. ;)

Regarding Memorex I'll never buy another one of their discs if I can help it. The top coating flecked easily and success rates were low.

Maxell & Sony for me. :)

media?

ok. probably speaking out of turn....but

mine are + not --.
and I buy whatever looks like a nice deal at either tiger direct or amazon.
I do not subscribe to label buying. as long as I get + I am happy.

mine are + not --.

That's an excellent way to end up with inferior quality blank media. But if you're happy, then so am I.

Last edited:

mine are + not --.

"label buying" is a very wise practice when it comes to DVD media.
Give those discs a year or so and see how playable they are.

Hi all

I use 2 lots of media. TDK DVD-R 4.7GB blanks Made in Taiwan, and if I need to use a DualLayer disc for quality reasons, i use Verbatim. I havent had a single dead TDK DVD-R disc yet, and no dead Verbatim DL disc yet either.

I also recently discovered I had a bundle of Sony DVD-R 4.7GB discs Made in Japan which i havent tried yet, and I also have 1 x TDK DVD-R Armour Plated - up to 100x scratch resistant - has a gold coating - Made in Japan. These cost around $10 Australian. I haven't seen these in the shops for a while so I'd say they were no popular.

Rodney

Back