• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Clonedvd 2.9.0.7 beta

I agree with most of the posts that anydvd can handle any movie as long as the person using the product has a basic understanding on how the software works, but when it comes to dollar for dollar ($49) and features and benefits there is no comparison DVDFAB wins hands down

I could not possibly disagree more.

1. dvdfab doesn't help me when I want to play original discs on my system from other regions
2. dvdfab doesn't offer subtitle transparency on the fly when I want to watch dvd movies
3. dvdfab does not decrypt on the fly, allowing me to use almost any other program I want--faster for almost
all releases (with the exception of some of the newer Sony/Lionsgate releases; and for that Anydvd ripper
since 6.1.4.2 now provides full disc backups with Shrink
)

dvdfab also doesn't do the following:
# Prevents automatic launching of 'PC-friendly' software on video DVDs
# Allows adjustment of your monitor refresh rate for both NTSC and PAL monitors
# Allows execution of external programs on disc insertion and removal
# Allows speed control of your DVD drives
# Works transparently for the operating system: DVDs can be shared over the network and copied with the command prompt or with Windows Explorer, etc"

Here's something else dvdfab doesn't do: http://www.cdr-zone.com/news/anydvd_tackles_sony_drm_rootkit_virus.html

May 3rd, 2007
DVDFab Platinum 3.1.0.8 Updated!
New: Added support for ProtectDVD protection as found on some Germany DVDs.

Anydvd
6.1.3.2 2007 03 15 (you'll note that's in March; dvdfab provided an official solution in May)
- New (DVD): Added support new versions for the "Protect DVD-Video" copy
protection to the option to remove "Protection based on unreadable Sectors"
Examples: "Wer früher stirbt..." and "Perfume", both R2, German
- Note: With the help of AnyDVD, discs protected with "Protect DVD-Video"
can now be played on Windows MCE 2005, with Windows Media player or
Zoom Player. WITHOUT ANYDVD RUNNING, THESE DISCS CANNOT BE PLAYED!
Shame on the makers of this really bad protection.
They don't do their customers a favour, if they cannot watch the
original disc!
We really hope that they get these discs slapped in their faces by
their (ex)customers."

So I think ANYDVD needs to get out of whatever agreement they have with ELBY when it comes up for review and start making their own version of CLONEDVD before they start losing their paying customers especially now that all previous DVDSHRINK users will be looking for a new software to start using because of all the problems they are having with the DVDSHRINK / ANYDVD combo and feel that ANYDVD is not helping them.

*cough*

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=3986

"6.1.4.2 2007 05 03
- New (DVD): AnyDVD ripper rewritten from scratch. It is no
longer based on FixVTS code but on the powerful copy engine of
CloneDVD2, licensed from Elaborate Bytes AG. If you want more
control (stream selection, main movie only selection, ...) we
recommend elby CloneDVD2 available at http://www.slysoft.com
- New (DVD): AnyDVD ripper can now handle heavily protected discs
- New (DVD): AnyDVD ripper output is now fully compatible with
DVD Shrink and Nero Recode

- New (DVD): Protection removal of AnyDVD core is more compatible
with DVD Shrink and Nero Recode. Some heavily protected discs
like "Perfume" (R2, German) can now directly be opened with Shrink
without prior ripping to harddisk.

- New (DVD): Added support for new copy protections to the option to
remove "Protection based on unreadable Sectors"
- New (Blu-ray): Improved detection / removal of region code
Multi region (e.g. Region A+C) discs are now handled correctly
in "automatic" region removal mode
- Change: Workaround for registration problem on Windows Vista
- Change: Removed AnyDVD ripper shortcut
- Fix: Title 10 of "Perfume", R2, German was damaged
- Some minor fixes and improvements
- Updated languages"

That means Anydvd ripper works for full disc backups of all current Sony/Lionsgate releases with Shrink.

Anydvd is a superior solution for Shrink and Recode users because they do not require, with the exception of the newer Sony/Lionsgate releases, Anydvd to rip first. Dvdfab, in all cases, does need to rip first if it wants to provide compatibility with Shrink or Recode. dvdfab's real competition to Anydvd (namely css+regionfree and dvdidle) hasn't been updated since Oct. 2006, and development on those programs appear, for the moment, to be "paused":

visit http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1766255&postcount=79

Consequently those programs (css+regionfree/dvdidle) can not handle, at this time, the newer Sony nor the newer protect-dvd releases from Germany.

While dvdfab platinum does provide its own transcoding and burning solution, I sincerely doubt any well-informed Shrink or Recode fan would switch to dvdfab platinum just for that reason.

Regardless, for Shrink and Recode users, Anydvd, since the advent of Anydvd 6.1.4.2, is the better solution.

You're welcome.

Dvdfab is, I'm sure, a very nice program, but as it is not a driver (nor decrypts on the fly) comparing dvdfab to anydvd is fairly pointless; they both do different things. For what I want, Anydvd provides greater flexibility.

A lot of people like and use dvdfab; I'm not discrediting them. But anydvd does what I want better.

Last edited:
I agree with you guys that AnyDVD is a great product even though it took them nearly 4 months to come out with the updated ripper, that DVDFAB had available for free to SHRINK users in 5 days, but the real problem isn't ANYDVD its the lack of feature upgrades to CLONEDVD.

but the real problem isn't ANYDVD its the lack of feature upgrades to CLONEDVD.

Then complain to Elaborate Bytes AG, which is the official developer--and not Slysoft (or complain in this thread:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=3993).

The problem is, as I see it, Dvdfab forces you to use dvdfab or rip first. Anydvd doesn't.
And dvdidle and css+regionfree has been "paused" for now (hasn't been updated since Oct. 2006).

By the way from http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=28034&postcount=16

"Ok, after telling you what's not going to happen, now the things that will likely happen:

1.) Defining title play order when copying without menus
2.) Setting default streams when copying without menus
3.) Verify of written discs"

I can't completely defend Clonedvd (so I'm not in complete disagreement with you about Clonedvd), because there are a number of things I'd like to see added. At the top of my list, I'd like to see bitsetting support added in both Clonecd (I mostly use Clonecd) and Clonedvd, but ELBY told me no a long time ago.

Last edited:
I have complained in the past to Elby (and you can probably tell by the lack of upgrades how far that got me), but now that I have gotten it off my chest I'm ready to move on and only ask for advise and not complain (at least not too much) HA! HA!

Last edited:
I have complained in the past to Elby (and you can probably tell by the lack of upgrades how far that got me), but know that I have gotten it off my chest I'm ready to move on and only ask for advise and not complain (at least not too much) HA! HA!

I think constructive criticism is fine. But if you're going to start slamming Clonedvd, maybe you should do it in the Clonedvd forum for starters.

I do really like Anydvd, by the way, so if I do praise Anydvd, I'm not just praising the program because I'm a moderator.

Webslinger, thanks for listening, but like I said I'm done complaining so there's no reason for me to complain about CLONEDVD in their forum so I will stick to just seeking advice or just reading what other people have posted, but thanks again for your opinion and advise.

Webslinger, thanks for listening, but like I said I'm done complaining so there's no reason for me to complain about CLONEDVD

If you'd like to be heard by James, maybe posting http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=3993 would help. But keep in mind James doesn't work for Elaborate Bytes.

All I'm going to say is there are a number of things I'd like to see added to Clonedvd as well, so it's not as though I completely disagree with what you've written.

I don't think it's a big secret, but bitsetting support goes at the top of my wishlist for both Clonedvd and Clonecd.

Yea sounds like a good idea, but after reading some of my own post I come across to myself as a whiner and that's not how I mean it to come across to anybody that might be reading this thread, or maybe James might come across this post and look at it for what it's worth (the opinion of (1) long time ANYDVD / CLONEDVD user or who knows maybe many others who for some reason or another don't want to post anything negative about ELBY) or if you think it would be better, could you move this thread over to their forum.

thanks again

I agree with most of the posts that anydvd can handle any movie as long as the person using the product has a basic understanding on how the software works, but when it comes to dollar for dollar ($49) and features and benefits there is no comparison DVDFAB wins hands down. I too was a long time anydvd/clone user but with the slow add-ons of new features and improvements to CloneDVD vs DVDFAB (I really don't count improvements to anydvd, because it really only has one job decrypt the movie for CloneDVD (which it does very well), here just take a look at the last 4 months of improvements on DVDFAB

[ ... ]

You must compare this changelog with combined logs for CloneDVD, CloneDVD mobile & AnyDVD change logs.

You must compare this changelog with combined logs for CloneDVD, CloneDVD mobile & AnyDVD change logs.

And Clonecd too, I think (dvdfab platinum can also retain the original layer break position)

Ok, after telling you what's not going to happen, now the things that will likely happen:

1.) Defining title play order when copying without menus
2.) Setting default streams when copying without menus
3.) Verify of written discs

Before I get too excited about CloneDVD FINALLY getting an update, what exactly do these features do?

1) will this allow relinking of titles? i.e. if I select say the title movie and a couple of extras and put the xtras at the beginning can you press the next button and actually skip over an extra to the next or want to replay the last extra, can you hit previous and go back if you are already on the next title?

Scenario/Visual: you want the following in the following order [Extra Title 15] [Extra Title 9] [Main Movie Title 1] where 15 is a music video, 9 is a really funny deleted scene you really liked and 1...

So now you have watched this disc a couple times, you want to skip the music video (by hitting next, not fastforward) and go straight to the deleted scene... can you?

or that music video was really good and you want to watch it again but now you are onto the deleted scene, can you go back WITHOUT reinserting the disc?

DVDFab can sorta do this but I find it is hit and miss, sometimes it works other times it doesn't and personally I REALLY don't like using it very much and the above is the only reason I do.

2) hmmm, think I understand this.

3) no need to explain this one.

James,

I agree with you on comparing the combined changelogs, but even if that is the case no meaningful upgrades have been done to any of those products this year other than ANYDVD and believe me I much rather use you than DVD Platium any day I just like the idea of using 1 program for everything not 4 and I think if Slysoft were in charge in the development of their own software and not Elby this would not even be a topic of discussion. Because to be honest I think the tide has turned and DVDFAB Platium is winning the battle but its not to late for US to win the war.

@riccast

I guess I'm confused. What is it that the Slysoft/Elby products DON'T do that you need DVD Fab for? Yes, I see the changelog for DVDFab and that's great, but, the only thing the Slysoft/Elby programs don't do for me is decent compression. I augment those with either the freeware DVD Shrink or Recode which is part of my Nero suite. I have tried the trial of DVDFab Platinum and found that while it's decent, I prefer Recode/Shrink's output. You say that Shrink users will be looking for a new program and that Elby should somehow start adding changes to win over those people, but, I don't see Shrink users abandoning Shrink. If anything they were more likely to get upset with AnyDVD for the problems they had. Those problems have been 100% resolved with the new AnyDVD Ripper functionality. So, again, I ask what features that DVDFab has over CloneDVD/CloneDVD Mobile/CloneCD/AnyDVD(and I own all of them) that need to be implemented? Ever stop to consider that a lack of change logs is the sign of a decent and stable product? The only thing that's really needed to be updated was AnyDVD, and that's simply because of new protections. Yes, CloneDVD may be lacking a few features, but, the majority of us are quite satisfied with it and use it the way we want...some use it for compression, others like me use it for pre-processing before using Recode or Shrink. To each their own. But I've found NOTHING that DVDFab offers over the Slysoft/Elby products that I'd care about.

Just because you might not care about what DVDFab offers over the Slysoft/Elby products that doesn't mean they aren't useful to somebody else, but they do have one big feature to offer is the ability to use (1) program not (4), but I'll be honest when I get a movie that requires more than 75% compression I won't use either DVDFAB or Clonedvd I use Shrink. But according to DVDFAB they are working on slow compression similair to Nero and Shrink's

And if DVDFab does what other people need, then they should buy it. I've said it before but it should be repeated...no one solution is going to work for everyone. Even I have multiple solutions depending on the disc I'm backing up. For some discs, CloneDVD+AnyDVD are more than adequate...assuming not a lot of compression is required. For others I preprocess with CloneDVD+AnyDVD, then compress with Recode or Shrink. And then there's the really tough to compress discs that I use DVD-RB Pro on after preprocessing with CloneDVD+AnyDVD. And finally, if I have some kicking around, I use Verbatim DL discs for the tough to compress movies. However, if someone feels that DVDFab offers them a better choice for the money, then quite frankly they should go for it. It does absolutely *NOTHING* for me in terms of real time options, however. And since I have an HTPC, real time appeals to me. AnyDVD does a wonderful job at A> allowing me to play discs that otherwise won't play due to idiotic copy protection, B> manipulating subtitles on the fly, C> removing PUO's so I don't have to sit through someone's grand idea of overzealous advertising. None of those things can be done in real time with DVDFab. I'm not knocking DVDFab, but, don't sell the Slysoft solutions short just because there hasn't been as many updates. They do what they do and they do it EXTREMELY well.

They do what they do and they do it EXTREMELY well.

I agree. Moreover, both Anydvd and Clonecd are more advanced than the respective feature set offered by dvdfab platinum. There's really no comparison there as far as I'm concerned; it's not even debatable.

dvdfab platinum does have a deeper respective feature set (merging, etc.--oh, and bitsetting) in comparison to Clonedvd. However, given that Shrink/Recode does most of those things better, it seems unlikely to me that most informed, intelligent people wanting those features would want to use dvdfab platinum instead. Keep in mind Clonedvd was always intended to be an easy solution for those wanting to backup dvds. I doubt Clonedvd was ever intended to compete with or emulate Shrink (which has always been free) or Recode's reauthoring features. For the average person wanting to produce a dvd backup, Clonedvd remains an effective solution. And for everyone else, Slysoft still provides the best answer for Shrink/Recode users.

Last edited:
but I'll be honest when I get a movie that requires more than 75% compression I won't use either DVDFAB or Clonedvd I use Shrink

Then, as of 6.1.4.2, Anydvd is the superior solution for a decrypter as you can so much more with it without having to rip first. And if you must rip first for the Sony/Lionsgate newer releases, since you apparently already own Clonedvd, you can use it to remove unwanted material before importing into Shrink.

Last edited:
Just my thoughts...

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. Furthermore, depending on how a program is used it may work better for one person than another. Knowing which software is better tends to be more subjective since everyone is biased in one way or another when it comes to certain software and knowing how to make the best use of a program also impacts what is considered better.

In general, I tend to not be a subscriber to the theory of a software suite being the best option. IMO, there tends to be a part of the suite that is weaker. I'm not even referring to DVDFab here but just making a general statement about suites.

Up until now what were the only real complaints about CloneDVD? Well, the output might not be compliant enough for DVD Shrink or Nero Recode. That has been addressed in CloneDVD and AnyDVD. What were the other problems? Frequent updates weren't as necessary for CloneDVD because it had no major issues and DVDFab does way more since it's a suite. More features == more chances for bugs. Of course DVDFab will be updated more.

In the end, however, I honestly don't think you can really compare DVDFab and CloneDVD. DVDFab is a swiss army knife that does a good job whereas CloneDVD does what the name implies and it does it beautifully.

So, DVDFab does more. That doesn't make it better. To each their own. :)

PS: I have nothing against DVDFab. It's just not the right solution for me.

Well like SamuriHL say's each to his own and that probably describes it best considering everybody has there own way of doing their backup's and will defend it to the end no matter what anybody else says so I too will continue to do my backup's like I have always done it in the past.

1. DVDFAB Platium
2. Clonedvd / ANYDVD if DVDFAB can't handle it (which hasn't happened yet)
3. Shrink (if over 75% compression)

well thanks for your input.

Back