• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Problems with "Capote"?

noctrine

Hi all,

Long time user of AnyDVD. It has never failed me, except for now. I thought I had a bad copy of the Capote DVD, so I returned it and got another--the "failed to read" errors began at the same sector!

AnyDVD 6.1.3.6 has "found & removed" for the following:
  • CSS
  • structural copy protection (Arccos, Puppetlock)
  • invalid VOBUs
  • 3 bad sector protections

Yet I'm still getting read errors in CloneCD. Is anyone else having problems with the Capote DVD? US version. I have a Plextor 716A drive, and, again, I've never run into a DVD I couldn't read.

Thank you,

update

Here is what AnyDVD says for the disc:

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.1.3.6)
PLEXTOR DVDRPX-716A 1.10 07/20/0614:00
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2084960 sectors (4072 MBytes)
Total size: 4169920 sectors (8144 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: CAPOTE
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1 3 4!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Found & removed structural copy protection (Arccos, Puppetlock)!
Found & removed invalid VOBUs!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Found & removed 3 bad sector protections!
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

And here is what CloneCD says:
I 6:35:12 PM CloneCD Version 5.3.0.1 started!
I 6:35:12 PM ElbyCDIO Driver 6.0.0.2
I 6:35:12 PM ElbyCDIO.dll 6.0.5.7
I 6:35:12 PM CCDDriver.dll 5.0.0.1
I 6:35:12 PM ElbyECC.dll 4.0.0.0
I 6:35:12 PM WriteDVD.dll 2.6.3.1
I 6:35:12 PM Registered to: [snip]
I 6:35:12 PM Searching for SCSI/ATAPI devices...
I 6:35:12 PM Device Scan found 1 CD-ROMs and 1 CD-Writers!
I 6:35:21 PM Starting copy from PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A to C:\CloneDVDTemp\IMAGE.dvd
W 6:42:50 PM Failed to read Sector 2755136
W 6:42:55 PM Failed to read Sector 2755168
W 6:43:04 PM Failed to read Sector 2755776
[snip]
W 6:54:17 PM Failed to read Sector 2756576
W 6:54:45 PM Failed to read Sector 2756608
W 6:55:13 PM Failed to read Sector 2756640
W 6:55:41 PM Failed to read Sector 2756672
W 6:55:41 PM User has cancelled operation!
I 6:55:41 PM Duration of operation: 00:20:19
I 6:55:41 PM Average Speed: 4522 kBytes/s (3.35)
E 6:55:47 PM Reading from PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A failed!

Generally, failed to read sectors means a bad disc. I have heard of people having to return 2-3 before they got a good one. They can come in bunches just like our blank media can.

This is the 2nd disc, and I'll try a 3rd. I mainly wanted to see if anyone else was having trouble!

I never did have a problem with the disc. I can't remember what AnyDVD said for it, but no problems here.

Well, I'm giving up. Same problem with the third version of the disc. :confused:

No, I never did let the read finish. I've had 2 other movies with errors:

First one: exchanged it, 2nd copy was fine
Second one: let the read finish (there were only a few bad sectors) and burned the backup. There was corruption/skipping on playback.

Since this one had many, many more read errors (and looked like it was going to take hours to read) I aborted, assuming the resulting backup would be useless.

There was corruption/skipping on playback.

That has nothing to do with Anydvd.
Read this

Since this one had many, many more read errors (and looked like it was going to take hours to read) I aborted, assuming the resulting backup would be useless.

It's probably just going to take awhile to read.

That has nothing to do with Anydvd.
Read this

Agreed, I just thought I might see the same thing when backing up another DVD with read errors. That DVD that I'm talking about had a little (but deep) scratch, so I'm guessing there's no way the information encoded in that area made it to the .DVD file, and thus there were gaps and partial frames burned into the backup media. I might have been using terminology loosely (corruption/skipping on playback) - the copy was fine, but the source was bad.

---

With Capote, it was just the first time I'd seen many of those copy protection schemes, so I thought perhaps one of them was "faking" read errors, and would lead to the same results.

Anyway, if you guys have heard of "batches" of bad DVDs, I'll take your word for it. It's not the end of the world if I can't backup 1 DVD, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't run into something AnyDVD couldn't handle.

Anyway, if you guys have heard of "batches" of bad DVDs, I'll take your word for it. It's not the end of the world if I can't backup 1 DVD, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't run into something AnyDVD couldn't handle.

There's a new version of Anydvd out. You may want to try it:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=3986

If you're still have issues you may want to send the ifos to Slysoft and mention you're having problems with Clonecd and that title.
But there's probably an issue with the source disc you're using.

Last edited:
I'm curious. If your backing up a DVD shouldn't you be using CloneDVD instead of CloneCD?

Back