• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Maxell DVD-R vs. Verbatim DVD-R by CMC

Jalabar

I have been using the Maxell DVD-R disc that you find cheap at stores such as Best buy, Staples, Target and so on. I know they are the Maxell made in china and not the ones I should be buying, like from Japan. Made buy who knows whom. And also they will not last as long as better media.
But they have played nicely with not one skip, chop or freeze up at all. And I’m playing them on the worst possible DVD player ever created by the human race. The “Daewoo DVD/VCR combo”. From Shoprite! But again, no problems with play or quality.

Because I’m going to very soon be purchasing AnyDVD and cloneDVD as soon as my wife’s back is turned. And have been reading the forum and learning more than I could ever imagine. (Thank you to all involved here)
Verbatim was unknown to me. But not anymore. And probably will take the place of using the Maxell DVD-R’s I use.

Of course I bought the last pack of 50 at Best Buy that had the correct “TNR” font on the cap verifying it was made by CMC. It also had the bad serial number starting with MAP6. 3 were coasters and 4 burned nicely. As well as playing nicely on my DVD player.

This does not change my mind about continuing to buy Verbatim. I will still do so.

I used DVD Identifier on both the Maxell and Verbatim blank discs. I was surprised at the results for both.

Maxell was made by Prodisc? Can’t be that bad…. right?
Verbatim was made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corp. Not CMC. Is that correct?

Both read outs are below

I would also like to know where I can find the true Maxell Plus Series (made by Maxell) and Maxell by Taiyo Yuden. (Does it say “Taiyo Yuden on it!!??)

Verbatim will still be key. But I’d sure like to try burns on those Maxell's as a test and/or back up of special movies.

Thank you
Jalabar

Maxell DVD-R 16X maxell.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:prodiscF02]
Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Prodisc Technology Inc.]
Manufacturer ID : [ProdiscF02]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]
[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Verbatim DVD-R 16X TNR “OPEN” “LOCK” font = CMC?
[Also MAP6 serial number]
verbatim.jpg
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:MCC 03RG20 ]
Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC 03RG20 ]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]
[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Last edited:
In most opinions, the best DVD -R are the TY. You can find them here: http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-8x-dvd-r-silver-paper-sleeves-combo-200-pack.html

The best DVD +R DL is the Verbatim. You can find them here: http://www.supermediastore.com/verbatim-95310-dvd-plus-r-double-layer-media-1-pack.html

They are also sold at Newegg. These are both in the USA. If you're in a different part of the world there are probably places to get them there as well. But those are the discs to look for.

Jalabar ........Maxell discs are not a quality media and are not recommended for that reason. The ones you have burned successfully may play well now but time will usually be the deciding factor on the quality, or lack thereof.
Any discs made by CMC (Crap Media Corporation) should be avoided. I think you will find that the Verbatims will be much better.

Any discs made by CMC (Crap Media Corporation) should be avoided. I think you will find that the Verbatims will be much better.

CMC does make Verbatim blank media (that's specifically what Jalabar was referring to in his first post--Verbatim 16x dvd-rs made by CMC), and some of it is excellent (well, the CMC Verbatim +Rs are, but I tend to avoid PAP6). Furthermore, some CMCMAGE01 8x DVD+Rs are excellent.

Last edited:
Of course I bought the last pack of 50 at Best Buy that had the correct “TNR” font on the cap verifying it was made by CMC.

I would avoid the the MAP6 serials (Verbatim 16x -R made by CMC), and I prefer Verbatim +R 16x made by CMC (but I would avoid the PAP6s as well, personally) instead of Verbatim 16x +Rs made by Prodisc.

It also had the bad serial number starting with MAP6. 3 were coasters and 4 burned nicely. As well as playing nicely on my DVD player.

You may want to try lowering your burn speed and/or updating your burner's firmware.

Verbatim is really good about dealing with customers with faulty discs. Go return them to Verbatim, and they'll probably exchange them and give you a few extras for your time. It's not even the entire MAP6 serials/batch; it's just some of the discs that are bad. Verbatim, on the whole, is still very good.

Maxell was made by Prodisc? Can’t be that bad…. right?

Yes, it can. The stuff produced for Maxell (the generic stuff) is not held to the same standards as the stuff sold under Verbatim's label. That said, ProdiscF02 sold under Maxell's name isn't horrible (however, it's certainly not great), but scans indicate most people have better success with that blank media at 8x.

Verbatim was made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corp. Not CMC. Is that correct?

All "MCC" tells you, normally, is that it's Verbatim. I have Verbatim +R 16xs that code out with "MCC" in them. However, one is made by Prodisc, and the other is made by CMC. They are both made in Taiwan. MCC just stands for "Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation", of which Verbatim is a subsidiary.

So if Verbatim media is made in Taiwan, it's made by CMC or Prodisc.
If Verbatim media is made in India, it's made by MBIL (Moser Baer).
If Verbatim media is made in Japan, it's most likely made by Taiyo Yuden.
If it's made in Singapore, then it's made by Mitsubishi's plant (usually limited to RW and DL media).

Of these choices, I like what I've seen from Mitsubishi's plant in Singapore the best.

MAP6 is CMC (Verbatim dvd-r 16x).

Last edited:
I would also like to know where I can find the true Maxell Plus Series (made by Maxell) and Maxell by Taiyo Yuden. (Does it say “Taiyo Yuden on it!!??)

No. They don't explicitly say Taiyo Yuden. You can't really go wrong with Maxell Plus, regardless of whether it's made by Taiyo Yuden or Maxell in Japan.

I'm only aware of Canadian sources that sell Maxell Plus in North America--blankmedia.ca and NCIX.com (but I'm sure they are sold by other stores).

Last edited:
Webslinger. My God! You answered every possible question I asked in my insanely extended post. Thank You very much. Much appreciated. Oldjoe and mmdavis.....thank you also.

I like Maxell and will find the real deal [Maxell Plus] and will now go with Verbatim also. I've read many post here and damn glad I did.

The discs that did burn on that MAP6 stock work beautifully. I knew about the bad batch before I bought. But I could not check out the numbers being Verbatim has a paper cover over top of there discs in the package.

I still like -R because of DVD stand-alone compatability. But now that I've read here about changing the +R's booktype to be more compatable with DVD players. I might try the +R's from Verbatim.

Thx for your help gents.

p.s. Just bought keys for CloneDVD and AnyDVD. How Niiiiiiiiiice!

Jalabar

The discs that did burn on that MAP6 stock work beautifully. I knew about the bad batch before I bought.

People use the word "batch" often to mean (and I make this mistake as well, but I do know the difference) a few bad discs or one bad spindle they bought. A bad batch actually means the entire line of "MAP6" serials for instance, and it's obvious not all MAP6 discs are bad. But anyway, I understand what you mean . . .

But I could not check out the numbers being Verbatim has a paper cover over top of there discs in the package.

Yeah, it's not easy to see anyway, in most cases . . .

But now that I've read here about changing the +R's booktype to be more compatable with DVD players.

Changing the booktype can fix compatability issues with standalone dvd players, and many standalone dvd players will play +R media, regardless. To change booktype, of course, your burner must support bitsetting changes.

I might try the +R's from Verbatim.

In my opinion, they do tend to be slightly better (but people have reported similar issues with the PAP6 serials from CMC made Verbatim +R 16x discs).

Again, Verbatim is really good about dealing with customers with faulty discs. If you discover some bad discs, go return them to Verbatim, and they'll probably exchange them and give you a few extras for your time.

p.s. Just bought keys for CloneDVD and AnyDVD. How Niiiiiiiiiice!

Grats!

Last edited:
Back