• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Best format to copy to Hard drive

steve6380

Hi can anyone tell me the best format to burn DVD's to a hard drive as I want to start up a movie library for myself.
really want to know for a single file not lots of vob files.

Thanks to all, any info on compression ratio's would be much appreciated

Steve

Follow up

1. I have Slysoft anydvd and clonedvd
2. I really want to know best format to rip to i.e AVI, WMA etc so can be viewed real time on my 50" HDTV but not take up to much space on hard disk. I dont want to copy DVD to hard drive as this takes up between 4.5-9GB

Last edited:
Providing that you already have Slysoft stuff installed on your box, you can simply right click on the anydvd (redfox) icon and rip away. Or if you like more flexibility, use clonedvd2 to create your image. Clonedvd2 will give you many more options in terms of movie content i.e. menus, extras, etc...

If you don't have Slysoft stuff (and you should) you will have to resort to programs such as:

DVD Decrypter
Imgburn
Shrink
FixVTS

Just to name a few.

Make life easy for yourself. Buy the complete package for $99 and if you can get a coupon, this will generally lower the price to $79. Believe me when I say I've used shareware/freeware (and I have used them ALL) Slysoft still comes out on top hands down:D With anydvd running in the background alone will save you enormous rip times. This makes a huge difference when working on multiple discs:agree:

SLYSOFT RULZ:bowdown:

I like to have DVD's in .iso format.
1) Its a single file to deal with. I've never bothered to learn to work with vob and ifo files and whatever else is on a native DVD. They look too messy and scarey.
2) you know its a perfect image of the DVD with no compression
3) Slysoft is awesome.

I like the .ISO format since it has become the industry standard it seems. It is a little smaller than the origianl but not mut. The greatest benefit is that you can burn it to DVD easily and it works every time. I bought the Clone package about two years ago and have given up on everything else, including some packages that cost twice as much. It is the best.

Providing that you already have Slysoft stuff installed on your box, you can simply right click on the anydvd (redfox) icon and rip away.

Anydvd ripper should be used as a last resort when all else fails. It employs an older version of Fixvts that is often not necessary (or can also cause problems).

I really want to know best format to rip to i.e AVI, WMA etc so can be viewed real time on my 50" HDTV but not take up to much space on hard disk. I dont want to copy DVD to hard drive as this takes up between 4.5-9GB

Several people have suggested .iso format...

I'm a hardware geek for sure, and admit that I'm not as literate in software... are there players out there that will READ an ISO and playback the file?

I think the OP wants to rip his DVDs to his Hard Drive(s) and be able to play the movies directly from them. Wouldn't VirtualCloneDrive be his best bet (although he probably wouldn't save much space)?

I have just downloaded anydvd and clonedvd2 upon the endorsement of a friend of mine. I am trying to put these DVD's on my HD to bring overseas with me, so I won't damage a bunch of DVD media, because there will be harsh weather conditions where I am going.

Can anyone explain to me how to go about ripping these files onto my HD so I can play them back on my computer? I've tried ripping the IFO/VOB files, but it doesn't seem to want to play the complete movie, just chapters, and you have to open them individually.

I tried the .iso route, and I'm not understanding how to get it to play back. Is there anyone out there who can help a tech-illiterate guy like me make this work? Thanks!

Adam

steve6380 said:
2. I really want to know best format to rip to i.e AVI, WMA etc so can be viewed real time on my 50" HDTV but not take up to much space on hard disk. I dont want to copy DVD to hard drive as this takes up between 4.5-9GB

steve6380 doesn't want the full DVD's size. Ripping to ISO is going to result in a file bigger than what is wanted. He wants a good quality compressed format...

The problem, IMO, is that regardless of what compressed format is used I don't think the quality will be worth it on the 50" TV. I'd go with AVI (DivX) but in order for it too look good on the TV it'll end up being a big file which will negate the point converting the DVD to another format.

So my real answer to the full question is I don't think there is a solution that is worth it other than doing what the person doesn't want to do and that's not converting it to another format. As others have said, I'd rip the DVD to an ISO file and mount it and then play it that way.

Last edited:
Can anyone explain to me how to go about ripping these files onto my HD so I can play them back on my computer? I've tried ripping the IFO/VOB files, but it doesn't seem to want to play the complete movie, just chapters, and you have to open them individually.

From the video player you use generally they offer the option when you want to open a DVD that you can pick a DVD drive to play from, open dvd file on hard disc or open media file. Use the second option and point it to the VIDEO_TS directory of the ripped DVD. It will play the entire ripped DVD w/o playing each VOB individually.

I tried the .iso route, and I'm not understanding how to get it to play back. Is there anyone out there who can help a tech-illiterate guy like me make this work? Thanks!

I don't know if any software players can play an ISO w/o it being mounted using a virtual drive (ie Elby Virtual CloneDrive, Nero ImageDrive, Daemon Tools) first. I've never tried it to be honest.

Last edited:
I know some versions of PowerDVD make you actually open the folder and select/open VIDEO_TS.IFO to start the ball rolling.

-W

Back