• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question About Region Free

Understandably, then, it's probably not worth pursuing. :)

Oh, I don't know...when I get my 20 guage back from my dad I might consider some target practice. Buckshot to a DVD player...then it might provide SOME value. :D

It's not as though Sony wants you to have a region free standalone dvd player. :)

No, but as we all know Sony doesn't exactly make all their own products, either. With any company that does this sometimes the company that actually does do the manufacturing may slip something in. ;)

That said I never have no never will own a CD player, DVD player or PC DVD drive from Sony.

Last edited:
It's not as though Sony wants you to have a region free standalone dvd player. :)

Imagine that. It's not like they want me to have a PS3, either, else they'd have set the price a little more realistically. Oh, right, I'm supposed to want to go get a second job to afford one. ROFLMAO!

Be careful Drink or a man with a red blazer on horseback may come to your house and rip the hard drive out of your PC :policeman: :D

A lot of my family are Canadian and I lived up their for a time, myself. Beautiful place and nice people. :D I'll just invite the poor Mountie in and offer him/her some Moosehead beer.

PS: Btw, I do actually say "eh" a lot.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I don't believe there's a way to not make your dvd-video backups region free with Anydvd. I'm pretty sure
unchecking "software region code", "hardware region code", and "region code scripts" will still make your backup region free.
Edit: I just tested this, and I'm right.

Then something is wrong with anydvd. Isn't supposedly to leave the region code in the dvd if you uncheck those options?

Then something is wrong with anydvd. Isn't supposedly to leave the region code in the dvd if you uncheck those options?

That depends...is the software being used to do the backup removing it? If it really IS AnyDVD removing it, then yes it's a bug. However, if your DVD backup software is removing it, AnyDVD doesn't have any control over that.

Isn't supposedly to leave the region code in the dvd if you uncheck those options?

I'm not sure. The first option affects playback software. The description in Anydvd "software region code" doesn't say anything affecting about a backup. If there's a problem, then it seems likely to me the problem would be in this setting, but again, I'm not sure there is a problem.

And the two settings below that shouldn't change region codes on the backup.

In fact, it seems highly unlikely to me that there is a bug. As it would make no sense to produce a standalone dvd player that refuses to play region free discs (can you name one?), I suspect Anydvd just makes discs region free by default. It would make more sense for a standalone dvd player to block -r or +r media.

Last edited:
Not a huge deal I guess because I can always backup the originals again but how do I get any future backup copies to not be Region Free? Under AnyDVD Settings/Feature Removal I unchecked the Software Region Code and made a backup but it still came out Region Free. What changes to AnyDVD do I have to make to leave the region as 1 on the backup?
Z

I hardly know anything about the region coding but I noticed the shrink has an option to set the region code before you encode the movie. Would that possibly help the situation? I don't kow if you use shrink at all but I guess it would be worth a shot.

I hardly know anything about the region coding but I noticed the shrink has an option to set the region code before you encode the movie. Would that possibly help the situation? I don't kow if you use shrink at all but I guess it would be worth a shot.

I used to use Shrink by itself before I bought AnyDVD and CloneDVD and yes, I remember that feature. Just after I asked this question I thought to try Shrink again (with AnyDVD running in the background of course) and it still came up region free even though I set Shrink to have the backup as a region 1 disk, but after all the thoughts about it here on this thread the general concensus seems to be that pretty well any standalone DVD player will play a region free disk

Back