• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question About Region Free

Zeta

Im thinking of purchasing an HD DVD player. The spec sheet on it says it will play Region Free HD-DVDs but not Region Free DVD-Rs. Any past backups I have made of DVDs are all Region Free which means that they wont be able to play in this machine? Not a huge deal I guess because I can always backup the originals again but how do I get any future backup copies to not be Region Free? Under AnyDVD Settings/Feature Removal I unchecked the Software Region Code and made a backup but it still came out Region Free. What changes to AnyDVD do I have to make to leave the region as 1 on the backup?

Thanks for you help

Z

38 views and no thoughts guys? Webslinger? Clam? oldjoe? Hmm didnt think this would be such a tough question.........:(

38 views and no thoughts guys? Webslinger?

Well, it's Sunday, and I can't be on 24/7 (and surely you can't expect me to know the answer to everything).

I could be wrong, but I don't believe there's a way to not make your dvd-video backups region free with Anydvd. I'm pretty sure
unchecking "software region code", "hardware region code", and "region code scripts" will still make your backup region free.
Edit: I just tested this, and I'm right.

What you can try to do is use dvd+R blank media, and change the booktype to "dvd-rom". I bet the player manual doesn't say it won't play region free discs anyway, right? I'm not even sure how they'd be able to restrict a region free backup that has RCE removed.

What standalone player is this that you're considering purchasing (so I can avoid it like the plague)?

Last edited:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10086531&catid=

Region Free Playback - The Region Free Playback attribute indicates if the player can play discs from around the world or if it is restricted to playing discs from a specific region.

That is what the "fine print" said Region Free Playback is........if I read it right does it actually mean it will play a "region free disk" but won't play say a disk from Europe when the player is purchased in NA?

Last edited:

O.k., if you're basing your question on this information (" Region Free Playback HD-DVD Yes / DVD No"), all that means is the player can play HD-DVDs from any region, but will be restricted to playing region 1 and region 0 (region free) commercial dvd movies. I can't be 100% certain, of course. But unless the manual specifically states it won't play region free dvd-rs (and I'm not sure that's even possible to restrict), I wouldn't be overly concerned. Besides I'm sure you can bring the standalone player home, test it, and then return it within a couple weeks (depending on store policy) if you don't like it.

Last edited:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10086531&catid=

Region Free Playback - The Region Free Playback attribute indicates if the player can play discs from around the world or if it is restricted to playing discs from a specific region.

That is what the "fine print" said Region Free Playback is........if I read it right does it actually mean it will play a "region free disk" but won't play say a disk from Europe when the player is purchased in NA?

HD-DVDs have no region coding specification anyway. So what you're reading is typical. This standalone player can play HD-DVDs from any region, but is restricted to playing commercial dvd movies from region 1. A region free disc includes region 1 (amongst all the others), so I really doubt there's any need for concern. However, as I said before, you can test out the player and bring it back if it doesn't work.

Last edited:
Well, it's Sunday, and I can't be on 24/7 (and surely you can't expect me to know the answer to everything).

Thanks for your thoughts Web. I know that you cant be on all the time. Its just that I saw your name as the last poster under pretty well every thread from today and I was wondering what you thought. As for the second part of your quote, you help so many people with different questions and problems that its hard not to think (not expect) you would be the man most likely to know. How are you at picking stocks lol :D ?

Just wanted to throw my thoughts on this whole region free nonsense on here. It'd be the most useless player on earth if it could only play region protected DVDs. Why? Cause I make home movies and put them on DVD and I sure as hell don't region protect them. If a DVD player doesn't play the movies I create, it's useless. Just something to think about.

Just wanted to throw my thoughts on this whole region free nonsense on here. It'd be the most useless player on earth if it could only play region protected DVDs. Why? Cause I make home movies and put them on DVD and I sure as hell don't region protect them. If a DVD player doesn't play the movies I create, it's useless. Just something to think about.

I think they made a serious mistake but combining the two types of Region Free under one heading in the info about the HD-DVD player.

Here's my opinion on it... It's a region free HD-DVD player because, duh, there are no regions for HD-DVD but it will play either its set region [depending on where it was sold] or a DVD with no region set at all. It will not, however, play any other set region than its originally set region. So, it would play the home movies you created, SamuriHL.

Of course since I don't have this player I cannot confirm it but it's what seems most probable to me.

Here's my opinion on it... It's a region free HD-DVD player because, duh, there are no regions for HD-DVD but it will play either its set region [depending on where it was sold]

Futureshop is in Canada; it's a large chain owned by Best Buy. So the player is in Region 1.

or a DVD with no region set at all. It will not, however, play any other set region than its originally set region. So, it would play the home movies you created, SamuriHL.

Yep (well, more than likely, anyway)

I think they made a serious mistake but combining the two types of Region Free under one heading in the info about the HD-DVD player.

Here's my opinion on it... It's a region free HD-DVD player because, duh, there are no regions for HD-DVD but it will play either its set region [depending on where it was sold] or a DVD with no region set at all. It will not, however, play any other set region than its originally set region. So, it would play the home movies you created, SamuriHL.

Of course since I don't have this player I cannot confirm it but it's what seems most probable to me.

That was my point, yes. :) I wasn't under the impression that ANYONE made a DVD player incapable of playing region free DVDs.

Futureshop is in Canada; it's a large chain owned by Best Buy. So the player is in Region 1.

Yeah, at the time I viewed the webpage I was a tad rushed didn't note the location. Heck, I didn't even look at the address. The .ca should have given it away, eh?

That was my point, yes. :) I wasn't under the impression that ANYONE made a DVD player incapable of playing region free DVDs.

Yeah, that's where semantics come in and some logic when writing up info on a product. The layout used was silly and the explanation they [Futureshop] gave was silly, IMO.

I somewhat missed a few aspects of the post because I late for a meeting. Oops. :eek:

but is restricted to playing commercial dvd movies from region 1.
no doubt there will be a hack for this machine (button pressing combination) that will allow it to play all commercial sd dvd's whatever the region.
i did a hack on my daewoo dvd player-now it plays all regions of dvd's:D

no doubt there will be a hack for this machine (button pressing combination) that will allow it to play all commercial sd dvd's whatever the region.
i did a hack on my daewoo dvd player-now it plays all regions of dvd's:D

Not all players offer this via remote.

Panasonic standalone players often require service discs to enable this feature, for instance, first.

Not all players offer this via remote.

Panasonic standalone players often require service discs to enable this feature, for instance, first.

What about my Sony player...think there's any hope for that one? ROFLMAO!!!! I don't even turn it on anymore. One of these days I'm going to disconnect it but I'm just too lazy.

If you're serious, I recommend asking here

I'm not, as I know for a fact that my Sony player has absolutely NO region free codes for it. You really think Sony would hide something like that in their players? HAHAHAHA. :) No, this is why I have my HTPCs and my Xbox 360...I gave up on stand alone player a while ago.

I'm not, as I know for a fact that my Sony player has absolutely NO region free codes for it. You really think Sony would hide something like that in their players?

I guarantee you it's not hidden, but it can probably be enabled via other means.

The well-respected Panasonic RP82, for instance, can be (hardware) modified . . .

I guarantee you it's not hidden, but it can probably be enabled via other means.

The well-respected Panasonic RP82, for instance, can be (hardware) modified . . .

I've looked...I didn't find anything available for it. It's quite old and useless as far as playing DVDs is concerned. The layer break pause is the biggest I've ever seen on any player in history.

Back