• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HD-DVD to BD?

mmace

I've seen a couple of posts on here asking if people have tried converting an HD-DVD to Blu-ray

Does anyone have a tutorial about how to do this?
I have DVDit Pro HD with PS3 patch (uses MPEG2 only) and I will also be getting Encore CS3 later in the summer (uses h.264 and MPEG2 only)

does anyone know how to rip the HD-DVD and convert the main movie to mpeg2?

I have DVDit Pro HD with PS3 patch (uses MPEG2 only)
What's the "PS3 patch" and how much did you pay for the DVDit Pro HD? It's not a cheap application, is it?

Converting HD DVDs needs:
- demuxing HD DVD audio and video into separate streams
- re-encoding video to Blu-ray specification MPEG-2
- re-encoding audio to Blu-ray specs
- authoring a Blu-ray disc with DVDit Pro HD or equivalent
- burning the authored data on BD

What's the "PS3 patch" and how much did you pay for the DVDit Pro HD? It's not a cheap application, is it?
the PS3 patch means discs created with it work on the PS3 with menus etc

I paid full price for it, the most I've ever spent on software!

What was the full price, then? $499? I saw a post in Adobe forum from someone claiming they paid $129 for it.

Anyhoo, I tested an... "unofficial version" of it and burned a ripped Blu-ray movie on a BD-RE. The disc worked perfectly in PS3, and I didn't use any patches. However, the app itself is incredibly unstable. I wanted to test it for authoring purposes, and found it useless for that task. Also, burning stopped working once I installed AnyDVD HD in the same PC.

Last edited:
- re-encoding video to Blu-ray specification MPEG-2

Why the need to convert to MPEG-2? Blu-Ray supports H.264 and VC-1 as well... shouldn't the actual video aspects of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray be fairly compatible... and the audio as well, in most cases.

Why not convert to AVCHD with Nero 7 and burn to a BD for the PS3?

Why the need to convert to MPEG-2? Blu-Ray supports H.264 and VC-1 as well... shouldn't the actual video aspects of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray be fairly compatible... and the audio as well, in most cases.
I mentioned MPEG-2 because OP posted "DVDit Pro HD with PS3 patch (uses MPEG2 only)". Yes, BD supports the same video codecs, and mostly the same audio codecs as HD DVD.

I want to create discs with menus, at the moment I can only afford DVDit Pro HD which only accepts MPEG2 so AVCHD/h.264 and VC-1 are not an option (though h.264 will be when Encore CS3 is out in July)

Have you tried converting HD-DVD to AVCHD with Nero and either:

a) burning to a BD and playing on PS3

b) burning to an external hard drive and playing on PS3

c) adding your own titles and credits and claiming the movie is your own

Have you tried converting HD-DVD to AVCHD with Nero and either:

a) burning to a BD and playing on PS3

b) burning to an external hard drive and playing on PS3

c) adding your own titles and credits and claiming the movie is your own
I'm wanting menu's etc and it's not just for a PS3

still no idea how to convert an HD-DVD, anyone got any ideas/links etc?

If I can get it to any sort of video format, even .mp4 (avc/h.264) then I have found how to convert to MPEG2 (procoder), any ideas how to get a video stream from an HD-DVD?

What software will convert hd dvd/blu ray files to avchd? And if placing on a hard drive and plugging it into the PS3, I am sure it will be larger than 4GB. And PS3 doesn't recognize NTFS formatted hard disks, only FAT32-which doesn't allow files larger than 4GB.

sorry I mentioned the PS3, this post has nothing to do with it, I'm just wanting to know how I can get an HD-DVD to a usable video format in a program stream

Nero 7 ultra enhanced works with avchd, but I don't think it actually will convert files to avchd.

With the high definition plugin, you can use the recode portion of Ultra to handle that

Back