• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Won't Burn DVD -R

JarHead100

I have a new Dell E1705 with a TSST Corp DVD +-RW TS L632D burner. I have the most recent software for Clone DVD and AnyDVD. I can burn to +R media all day long with no problems. Almost every time I try to burn to -R media, it hangs up at 22% completed; on anything I try to copy. It hangs up my DVD drive and I have to reboot to get the DVD out of the drive.

I use Verbatim (94495 Printable) DVD -R (4X) and Verbatim (95123 Printable) DVD +R DL (2.4X). I never burn at speeds higher than the media capacity. I have no choice but to copy an occassional DVD to the -R media for an older DVD Player.

My DVD driver is MS dated 6/21/2006 version 6.0.6000.16306 and there are no firmware updates available from MS or Dell. I am using Vista Home Premium with all updates. Anyone have any idea why I only have problems with -R media?

I almost forgot...when it hangs up, there is no error message or any other type of message....

One more thing....I have no problem using the -R media when backing up my PC with Norton 360 or creating data or Music DVDs with Nero Ultimate Edition 7.X......every little bit of info helps, right :)

Last edited:
I've checked my devices and both primary and secondary are set to DMA enabled and Ultra DMA Mode 5. The writing to -R media problem only happens when using Clone DVD; i.e. the exact same, from the same box, -R media writes fine when making a backup with Norton 360 or a data/music DVD with Nero Ultimate Edition 7.x...

I've been chasing my tail for awhile now...

I downloaded the firmware update, but even though it says it is for my E1705, it also says it's for XP and I am using Vista. The patch only applies to noise, so, I'm really hesitant to update my firmware in a situation where the drive performs fine using the -R media in applications other than Clone DVD 2. Although, I apparently am using firmware made for XP because it predates Vistas release. If I had my way, I'd chuck the old DVD player and never use -R media again.....

Ok...here are my filter results:
----------------------------------------------------
Filter Driver Load Order http://www.bustrace.com
----------------------------------------------------

Upper Class Filter: GEARAspiWDM
Device Object: TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632D ATA Device
Lower Class Filter: ElbyDelay
Lower Class Filter: Afc
Lower Class Filter: AnyDVD

Driver Name: gearaspiwdm.sys
File Location: c:\windows\system32\drivers
File Description: CD/DVD Class Filter Driver
File Version: 2.0.6.1 [2.0.6.1]
Product Name: GEAR.wrks
Product Version: 8.xx [2.0.6.1]
Company Name: GEAR Software Inc.

Driver Name: elbydelay.sys
File Description: Elby Delay Lower Filter Driver
File Version: 5, 1, 0, 1 [5.1.0.1]
Product Name: CDRTools
Product Version: 5, 1, 0, 1 [5.1.0.1]
Company Name: Elaborate Bytes AG

Driver Name: afc.sys
File Description: Arcsoft(R) ASPI Shell
File Version: 1, 0, 0, 2 [1.0.0.2]
Product Name: Arcsoft(R) ASPI Shell
Product Version: 1, 0, 0, 2 [1.0.0.2]
Company Name: Arcsoft, Inc.

Driver Name: anydvd.sys
File Description: AnyDVD Filter Driver
File Version: 6.1.3.6 [6.1.3.6]
Product Name: AnyDVD
Product Version: 6.1.3.6 [6.1.3.6]
Company Name: SlySoft, Inc.

For the -R media, I select a write speed of 4.X with every program used to burn data to the DVD. For the DVD +R media, I use a write speed of 6.X per the Verbatim web site, with every program used to burn data to the DVD...

Well unless afc.sys (arcsoft aspi shell) is somehow affecting Clonedvd, which I doubt, then your filters are fine.

Clonedvd bases its burn speed selections based on both firmware and media codes (which is different than how some other burning programs work).

At this point if you're positive you're selecting a write speed of 4x in both programs, then I have no further suggestions.

Maybe someone else will have ideas.

I really appreciate your superb info and efforts....I can't figure this out either, so, I'll just wait to see if anyone else has any suggestions...

If Clone DVD 2 adjust things its way, what if I select the write speed of "Maximum?" Maybe setting the speed to 4X specifically instead of using Maximum might be the problem?? If I understand the Maximum choice, it determines the max speed based on the lower of either the media capabilities or the writers max write speed. Perhaps the Verbatim -R 4X actually can't burn at a selected speed of 4X in Clone DVD and if I set the speed to Maximum, then Clone DVD will make a determination based on its process and I'll end up with a good burn???

If Clone DVD 2 adjust things its way, what if I select the write speed of "Maximum?" Maybe setting the speed to 4X specifically instead of using Maximum might be the problem?? If I understand the Maximum choice, it determines the max speed based on the lower of either the media capabilities or the writers max write speed. Perhaps the Verbatim -R 4X actually can't burn at a selected speed of 4X in Clone DVD and if I set the speed to Maximum, then Clone DVD will make a determination based on its process and I'll end up with a good burn???

If you select 4x in Clonedvd, it should work (in theory). Since it doesn't I suppose you have nothing to lose by selecting "max". Otherwise, your issue is very puzzling (to me, anyway), and I can't make heads nor tails out of it.

Just finished testing the use of the Maximum setting....no go. It still hangs up; i.e., there is no activity on the hard disk and no light on the DVD drive. However, the DVD drive is spinning to beat the band. I used Task Manager to break out of Clone DVD 2 and even though it closed, the process was still running. Same thing for AnyDVD. I tried to Eject the DVD from My Computer and it won't let me because it thinks it is still being used. Strange.... I guess the issue now becomes either not making -R media or as a last attempt, buying another brand of media. But for the life of me I can think of no reason the Verbatim media should not work; it is not bottom of the line media by any means. Any other suggestions"??

Just finished testing the use of the Maximum setting....no go. It still hangs up; i.e., there is no activity on the hard disk and no light on the DVD drive. However, the DVD drive is spinning to beat the band. I used Task Manager to break out of Clone DVD 2 and even though it closed, the process was still running. Same thing for AnyDVD. I tried to Eject the DVD from My Computer and it won't let me because it thinks it is still being used. Strange.... I guess the issue now becomes either not making -R media or as a last attempt, buying another brand of media. But for the life of me I can think of no reason the Verbatim media should not work; it is not bottom of the line media by any means. Any other suggestions"??

Try (real) Taiyo Yuden Professional 8x dvd-r, and if that doesn't work, there's definitely something wrong.

Out of curiosity, if you try a dvd+r, right now, it will work, correct? It would make more sense to me if Clonedvd were constantly locking up with everything. Do you have any programs running in the background while burning? Web browser? Email? That shouldn't matter though, if you're able to burn dvd+rs right now without any problem.

Yeah, I can't really figure out your issue. I guess if I were you I'd try different media (like what I suggested earlier).

No browser, no mail, no word processor. I do have the Windows Sidebar and ObjectDock Plus running, but those have been running all along. By the way, I just read on of your post about a bad batch of Verbatim -R media with a serial number beginning with MAP6 or something like that. For the life of me I can't find a batch or serial number anywhere on this media or the package it came in.... The center hub is clear and has some numbers, but no alphabetical characters. These are white printable DVDs and maybe the serial number is covered up?? I think I'm taking up too much of your valuable time on this.....

No browser, no mail, no word processor. I do have the Windows Sidebar and ObjectDock Plus running, but those have been running all along. By the way, I just read on of your post about a bad batch of Verbatim -R media with a serial number beginning with MAP6 or something like that. For the life of me I can't find a batch or serial number anywhere on this media or the package it came in.... The center hub is clear and has some numbers, but no alphabetical characters. These are white printable DVDs and maybe the serial number is covered up?? I think I'm taking up too much of your valuable time on this.....

Yeah that's MAP6 stuff isn't 4x Verbatim media (and not all MAP6 is bad, just some of it), so you're not using the same blank discs. I was just thinking maybe an antivirus program or something was interfering in the background, but that doesn't really make any sense if you can burn dvd+r right now. The only factor I see here is the blank media being used and for whatever reason Nero burns to it on the same system, so /shrug.

This isn't really a solution, but if Nero works, why not try Nero Recode instead of Clonedvd--just until your Verbatim 4x media runs out? Then you can try the Taiyo Yuden 8x professional media I mentioned.

Does Nero Recode work hand in hand with AnyDVD? I have zilch for experience with Nero.....or, would I have to use Clone DVD 2 to create an ISO and then use Nero Recode to write the ISO?

Back