• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVD Rebuilder Pro and movies

DrinkLyeAndDie

Retired Moderator
Personally, I tailor my backup solution to the movie at hand rather than a one size fits all solution.

This, IMO, is the best way to do it. Not all movies are the same and as such the methods to back them up shouldn't necessarily always be the same. The more I use DVD-RB Pro [with CCE] the more that I like it for DVDs that need to be really compressed. After seeing the difference between Recode and DVD-RB... it's like night and day, IMO. Sadly, I found one movie that DVD-RB refuses to nicely work on: Alien vs Predator [which is far from new]. At the beginning of the movie it gets into a loop showing the movie studio logo. It doesn't exist before running the movie through DVD-RB and no other software causes it to happen. I gave up and just used CloneDVD to compress it.

A variety of tools is always a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This, IMO, is the best way to do it. Not all movies are the same and as such the methods to back them up shouldn't necessarily always be the same. The more I use DVD-RB Pro [with CCE] the more that I like it for DVDs that need to be really compressed. After seeing the difference between Recode and DVD-RB... it's like night and day, IMO. Sadly, I found one movie that DVD-RB refuses to nicely work on: Alien vs Predator [which is far from new]. At the beginning of the movie it gets into a loop showing the movie studio logo. It doesn't exist before running the movie through DVD-RB and no other software causes it to happen. I gave up and just used CloneDVD to compress it.

You should really report this issue to jdobbs at the official forum. Remember to always use the latest version. Also try the same DVD without preprocessing it before hand (if you did) to see if it was DVD-Rebuilders fault.

You should really report this issue to jdobbs at the official forum. Remember to always use the latest version. Also try the same DVD without preprocessing it before hand (if you did) to see if it was DVD-Rebuilders fault.

I plan on posting about it when I get more time to really sit down and retrace all my steps so that I can write a completely detailed report. I was pulling my hair out for a few days and honestly didn't keep detailed enough records other than what I remember. At the time I used v1.23.3 which was the latest. I had already given up before v1.24 was released.

So, I brought you to the dark side after all. :D ROFLMAO! I'm glad you're having fun with DVD-RB. That's completely screwed up about AvP though. I'll try that out tonight if I get a chance. That seems rather odd. How did you rip it?

But yes, having several backup solutions gives you options. Definitely a plus.

I plan on posting about it when I get more time to really sit down and retrace all my steps so that I can write a completely detailed report. I was pulling my hair out for a few days and honestly didn't keep detailed enough records other than what I remember. At the time I used v1.23.3 which was the latest. I had already given up before v1.24 was released.

Very odd. Like I said, I'll give it a shot when I get home and see if I can repro it. Anything you can remember about the steps you took would be helpful. JDobbs will definitely be interested in this one...he's an awesome developer.

Very odd. Like I said, I'll give it a shot when I get home and see if I can repro it. Anything you can remember about the steps you took would be helpful. JDobbs will definitely be interested in this one...he's an awesome developer.

I originally ripped as a DVD DL using AnyDVD & CloneDVD, ran it through FixVTS and then removed some FBI warnings, etc, with VobBlanker. Then I used DVD-RB Pro 1.23.3 with CCE at the default settings. The error appeared when I went to view the movie but it doesn't appear on the computer. It only appeared on the burned disc. I had verification on for the burn and it passed. I also was using Verbatim DVD+R 16x discs that I burned at 8-12x.

I figured maybe the problem is AnyDVD so I then ripped with RipIt4Me [with the internal FixVTS code turned off], then ran it through FixVTS myself, then VobBlanker, then DVD-RB. Again, the glitch appeared only on the physical disc when played in a standalone DVD player. It doesn't happen when played using a software player.

I mixed and matched a lot of programs. In the end the common thread was always the problem appearing after I used DVD-RB. There are a few things that should be noted:

(1) The disc contains 2 movie versions: theatrical and extended
(2) The disc appears to have to menus: one for software players and one for standalone players
(3) When you go to remove the FBI warnings, etc, [buried in a VOB but I forget which one, offhand] you'll find that the first FBI warning in English [with the red background] contains a button according to VobBlanker. If this first warning is removed I believe the end result was getting the software player menu on a standalone DVD player.
(4) The glitch when it appears is at about 1-5 seconds into title 1. It's when you are listening to the 20th Century Fox intro and flying over the logo. It may go for a second or two but then it seems to skip and go back to the start. It isn't a true loop per se since it isn't the same each time. It's almost random how far it gets but it only plays a few seconds. If you force it to get past that point things seem alright.

The reason I gave up was I was tired and too aggravated. I mean the movie isn't that amazing to make it worth continuing to pull my hair out. The special effects were pretty damn good though. I'm wondering how AvP 2 will look when it's released in Dec 2007.

The DVD was purchased used from a video store. No, the original was not damaged or flawed which would lead to this problem. The original plays absolutely fine in a DVD player be it software or standalone. I experimented on 4 different standalone DVD players. I also tried playing it on both my PX-708A and PX-760A drives using WinDVD, BlazeDVD, PowerDVD, TheaterTek DVD and in all cases it was fine. The burned copies also played fine on the software players. I tossed the bad results in the garbage. I have to get some DVD+RWs before I waste any more Verbatim DVD+Rs since the problem only appears on the standalone players after it's burned.

The special effects were pretty damn good though. .

A friend of mine did some of the art/computer work on that film (also did some work on the LOTR movies). I complemented him on his work. When I see him later this week, I'll mention what you said. He'd be happy to hear that (he's not a big name or anything).

I can't say I cared for AvP (actually, I didn't like it). I only really enjoyed the first two Alien films (they are amongst my favourite films).

Last edited:
I love the Alien and Predator films and I very much enjoyed AvP. Those are some bizarre issues, though. I don't recall having any problems backing it up, but, I didn't use DVD-RB. I'll kick off a backup of it with DVD-RB in a few and see what I get for results. I want to take a look at the DVD structure again. I don't think I remember it having 2 menus. I do remember the theatrical vs extended movies though. Very interesting. If we can get a log to JDobbs he'll be quite interested in this.

A friend of mine did some of the art/computer work on that film (also did some work on the LOTR movies). I complemented him on his work. When I see him later this week, I'll mention what you said.

[OT]

Cool :) Definitely compliment him for me!

I can't say I cared for AvP (actually, I didn't like it). I only really enjoyed the first two Alien films (they are amongst my favourite films).

Well, Alien will always be the best for most people. For me, Aliens was the best of the series because of the action. It was more action than the first movie. After that they were just after money. The 3rd movie was amazing simply because of how it was shot. The guy who directed Madonna's music videos did it and I'll admit the cinematography was amazing but the story was lacking and the series should have ended there. The fourth movie was complete... garbage. I was cursing myself for wasting money in the movie theatre when I saw it especially at the end.

Predator was great, IMO, purely for the action aspect and it was something new and interesting for that time period. The sequels were just complete... garbage and that's putting it politely.

With AvP you end up with a concept that came from Dark Horse comics which was a solid independent comic book company at the time that AvP came originally in the form of a comic. It works in a comic book and bringing it to the big screen wasn't all that bad except there are a few key things a person is required to do and that is ignore the timeline of established events and essentially ignore logic, in general. It's very much like the Highlander movies. There are huge anomalies in the time lines and contradictions that you have to overlook. With a better storyline it could have been far far better. But, in the end, it came down to the special effects that made it stand out and that generally isn't my type of movie these days.

[/OT]

Well, Alien will always be the best for most people. For me, Aliens was the best of the series because of the action.

Yeah, many of my friends prefer the second film for the same reason. I preferred the first because it was more atmospheric. moody, and quiet (and more of a horror film). Alien is one of my favourite horror films. But I really enjoyed both movies. I own the Alien Quadrilogy box set, despite not really caring that much for the last two films.

It's very much like the Highlander movies. There are huge anomalies in the time lines and contradictions that you have to overlook.

You DO know what the HL in my name represents, right? ;) And even I will agree that the Highlander movies have gone downhill really fast...even ignoring the second one completely. Rumor has it that Highlander The Source is going to piss off a lot of us fans. We'll have to wait and see, but, I'm not optimistic.

I don't think I remember it having 2 menus. I do remember the theatrical vs extended movies though. Very interesting. If we can get a log to JDobbs he'll be quite interested in this.

Play the movie on your computer. You'll see that the menu is in red text and it's a Predator looking at his wrist computer. All the text is horizontal. On a standalone player the menu is in white text and the selections that would be horizontal on the left or right for the software player are actually angled on the standalone player menu. You also don't see any wrist computer.

I have a bunch of stuff to do but I'll see what I can do later.

Play the movie on your computer. You'll see that the menu is in red text and it's a Predator looking at his wrist computer. All the text is horizontal. On a standalone player the menu is in white text and the selections that would be horizontal on the left or right for the software player are actually angled on the standalone player menu. You also don't see any wrist computer.

I have a bunch of stuff to do but I'll see what I can do later.

That's really sweet. I never noticed that before. Checking it out right now. :)

Ok, um, I get the same menu on both stand alone and my software players. It's the white texted menu. I've tried it in PowerDVD Ultra and Media Player just to see if there's any difference. Doesn't appear to be.

EDIT: OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I see. This is kuel! See, when on the computer, I always right click and say "go to root menu". That takes you to the "correct" menu. Now, on the stand alone I have to do a next chapter because the root menu option is disabled (bleeping PUOs). But if I do a next chapter in WMP, I do in fact get to the red texted menu. VERY NICE!!

Last edited:
You DO know what the HL in my name represents, right? ;)

I never had a clue, actually. :p Now I do.

And even I will agree that the Highlander movies have gone downhill really fast...even ignoring the second one completely.

The second one was just... well. I wanted to shoot myself. But... worse yet was the 3rd movie. I literally sat there in the theatre pondering how much time Mario Van Peebles spent trying to imitate Kurgan from the first movie. I mean his character was a carbon copy and it was poorly done. There was no real originality and I hated the storyline. Heck, the movie still goes by two different titles when you look: Highlander 3 - The Final Dimension & Highlander 3 - The Sorcerer. I honestly sat in the theatre doing the math on how many drinks I could have gotten at the local bar for the cost of the ticket. Back then I paid 7.50 USD for the ticket and a cold 12 oz bottle of beer at the local bar cost 1 USD. I could have had a far more enjoyable night than I did!!

Rumor has it that Highlander The Source is going to piss off a lot of us fans. We'll have to wait and see, but, I'm not optimistic.

I've heard this and I'm seriously dreading it.

All in all I always have to laugh when I think about Highlander because I always remember the scene when Connor is being questioned in the police station near the beginning of the movie. It's a silly scene but what is said and how is what makes me laugh.

The second one was just... well. I wanted to shoot myself. But... worse yet was the 3rd movie. I literally sat there in the theatre pondering how much time Mario Van Peebles spent trying to imitate Kurgan from the first movie. I mean his character was a carbon copy and it was poorly done. There was no real originality and I hated the storyline. Heck, the movie still goes by two different titles when you look: Highlander 3 - The Final Dimension & Highlander 3 - The Sorcerer. I honestly sat in the theatre doing the math on how many drinks I could have gotten at the local bar for the cost of the ticket. Back then I paid 7.50 USD for the ticket and a cold 12 oz bottle of beer at the local bar cost 1 USD. I could have had a far more enjoyable night than I did!!

My wife and I were just starting to date at the time that one came out. I don't remember much of it from the theater. :D I do own it and it does have SOME redeeming qualities. But considering most of what I enjoyed in that movie happened in the first 10 minutes, well, that kinda sucks, yea. :)

I've heard this and I'm seriously dreading it.

All in all I always have to laugh when I think about Highlander because I always remember the scene when Connor is being questioned in the police station near the beginning of the movie. It's a silly scene but what is said and how is what makes me laugh.

I love that scene. :) And yea, dread indeed. September is when I think they're releasing it straight to DVD. That can't be a good sign. And to think they want to make this into a new trilogy. Oi!!!

Ok, um, I get the same menu on both stand alone and my software players. It's the white texted menu. I've tried it in PowerDVD Ultra and Media Player just to see if there's any difference. Doesn't appear to be.

Alright... now THAT is weird. Hrm. Now it seems to happen randomly as to which pops up on the computer but it's always the white text one on the standalone player except when I made a messed up copy. Looks like I'll need to take a digital photo of it since I can't get a screen capture of the menu in PowerDVD Deluxe 7. It's attached. I did it quickly so don't expect anything special. :p

Attachments

• AvP Red Menu.jpg
    AvP Red Menu.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Alright... now THAT is weird. Hrm. Now it seems to happen randomly as to which pops up on the computer but it's always the white text one on the standalone player except when I made a messed up copy. Looks like I'll need to take a digital photo of it since I can't get a screen capture of the menu in PowerDVD Deluxe 7. It's attached. I did it quickly so don't expect anything special. :p

As I said in my edit I did indeed get it to come up. But once the red one comes up, I can't get the white one to reappear no matter what I do. It's REALLY freaky as to how this menu works. I'm doing an interesting experiment with this disc regarding DVD-RB. I'm ripping it using AnyDVD and DVD-RB (set to no compression to speed things up) right from the disc. I wanna see what kind of results that give me.

Webslinger or another mod, could you please split this thread off so it is a thread of it's own? My original intent was not to take this totally off-topic from a DVD Shrink discussion. I apologize. Right now it's turned into a thread about DVD-RB and issues with AvP.

I agree this should be split but this is DEFINITELY a topic worthy of discussion. I'm about to watch DrinkLyeAndDie faint. ;) Ok, here's how my experiment went...DVD-RB has an amazing ability to rip things in combination with AnyDVD...even nasty crap like Sony discs should be possible. So, I used DVD-RB to rip the entire disc minus a couple of audio tracks and subtitles using NO compression. So I bring it up in WMP and guess what...it comes up with the white text menu. Sweet. So if I were to compress it I'm sure it'd work fine in my stand alone player. So I'm not entirely sure what happened to your rip, but, it certainly worked fine for me. I'm wondering if the VobBlanker process is what caused you issues.

Back