• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Good Shepherd, Charlotte’s Web, Death of a President, Black Christmas & The Lost Room

purplexed

The Good Shepherd
Summary for drive G: (AnyDVD 6.1.3.3)
LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1673S JS0B 2005/06/14 21:39
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2045824 sectors (3995 MBytes)
Total size: 4085936 sectors (7980 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: THE_GOOD_SHEPHERD
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Found & removed invalid VOBUs!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Charlotte’s Web

Media is a DVD.
Size of first Layer: 2065392 sectors (4033 MBytes)
Total size: 4031833 sectors (7874 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: CHARLOTTES_WEB_WS
Media is CSS protected!

Found & removed RCE protection!
Structural copy protection not found.
Found & removed Autorun from Video DVD!

Death of a President

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 2200631 sectors (4298 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: DEATH_OF_A_PRESIDENT
Media is CSS protected!

Found & removed wrong DVD structure!

Black Christmas

Media is a DVD.
Size of first Layer: 1967824 sectors (3843 MBytes)
Total size: 3658207 sectors (7144 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: BLACK_CHRISTMAS
Media is CSS protected!

Found & removed wrong DVD structure!

The Lost Room

Media is a DVD.
Size of first Layer: 2084160 sectors (4070 MBytes)
Total size: 4162512 sectors (8129 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: Lost_Room_Disc_1
Media is CSS protected!

All worked fine. (Note Black Christmas is the retail version, so if the rental version is coded different one of the Blockbuster guys will need to chime in. Because it is a Blockbuster rental exclusive.)

We should all be interested only in the "Retail" versions....:D

Sony This week

I honestly believed that The Good Sheperd would be under the umbrella of Sony, but it is not.

But I found three other dvd's at Wal-mart so far this week. The King Maker, Attack of the Gryphon, and the classic Volver with (mama mia!) Penelope Cruz. All should go through AnyDvd/Dvd Shrink like a shot, or through AnyDvd/CloneDvd2 for that matter. However, including the Director's comments with the encoding should stretch the time to another 10 minutes.

This movies are in contrast withj last week's wherein Sony initiated a new challenge to backing up with the introduction of the "padding up" system. A lot of meaningless files are incorporated in the movie to fool the encoders that they are in effect reading repeated or redundant clusters, and thereby dismissing the disc as dirty or scratched. Anyway, it should take a fast enough reader/burner to skip through these dead-end sectors, otherwise the picture will momentarily freeze.
There should be media coming out that are 18x capable.

Sony got carried away with this padding method that in Rocky Balboa, there are more trash files than the movie files. But this did lead away some encoders.

Last edited:
We should all be interested only in the "Retail" versions....:D

The ones I listed are retail versions. But let's face it not everyone is buying the original DVD's and backing them up. I simply said what I said just incase the rental version is different. Since I do not back up "rental versions" I do not know.

To my knowledge, you can't order BlockBuster exclusive titles for rental through DVD distributors....I frequent and know personally two owners of private or mom & pop DVD rental retailers and they cannot get them (Block Buster exclusive titles) before the actual release dates. So if you own a store your distributor can't send you those exclusives. They have to be purchased privately and sold retail only (says the law?). This does not mean mom & pop rental locations will not rent them if they choose to purchase them, it just means they're not suppose to. So, I can understand anyone not wanting to give away they're retail connection. Hey it's so bad that mom & pop stores are purchasing the exclusives from BlockBuster covering the logo with stickers and renting them which is really strange cause after the retail release date they could just purchase them from any DVD distributor or retail location. One guy told me BlockBuster does this last minute and snipes the titles of their choosing meaning without warning a given shipment to a mom & pop retailer is all the sudden shortened and the bad news is from the DVD retailer is Ohhh? those titles are exclusive rentals through BlockBuster......daaaaamn...oh well.

Last edited:
Some do, some don't

The titles Half Nelson and Lies and Alibis both go through AnyDvd/Shrink.

Lies and Alibis don't burn, though.

Maybe AnyDvd/Clonedvd2 can burn it. If anybody tried please let me know. Time to buy Clonedvd2 if it does burn after it.

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.1.3.3)
SONY DVD RW DRU-810A 1.0D OCT19 ,2005

Media is a DVD.
Size of first Layer: 2084960 sectors (4072 MBytes)
Total size: 4169920 sectors (8144 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: LIES_AND_ALIBIS
Media is CSS protected!

Found & removed structural copy protection (Arccos, Puppetlock)!
Found & removed error zones between files!
Found & removed bogus title set!
Found & removed Autorun from Video DVD!
Found & removed 6 bad sector protections!

Pssst!---blockbuster sells them, too. Pre-orders are accepted. But Walmart sells them cheaper!
But you're right in that there are specific exclusive titles. Not many, though, and these are mostly exclusive for rent.
cool_smiley.gif

Last edited:
I do not believe Black Christmas is a blockbuster exclusive, simply because you have it already and blockbuster has to wait another week or two before they put it on the shelves.

I think blockbuster has something like a line of "award" movies, or "holiday", or prize movies or something, on special shelves. These are their exclusives. Most, if not all, are foreign made.

And naturally, these movies are not hits.

The only dvd I rented from these special shelves is that one titled "Water".:doh:

1. Purplexed has stated that he owns a video store; he gets stock before the average customer has access to anything.
2. Purplexed has stated that he's showing retail disc information--and not rental information.
3. It's not known whether Purplexed owns a rental store, nor is he obliged to tell anyone if he doesn't want to.

Let me just say this, "Blockbuster Exclusive" means legally you can not rent... I repeat... RENT movies for a store that is not Blockbuster.

I do not offer rental copies of The Protector, Harsh Times, Shut up and Sing, School for Scoundrels, Black Christmas etc etc etc.... But I do offer these titles for retail sales.

How is this determined? I know that Blockbuster (obviously) offers the biggest rental chain in the nation, so they do have leverage, they are contracted to offer X amount of titles throughout the year. in this method.

X amount of tier one titles... The Protector, School for scoundrels.. etc..
X amount of tier two titles... Shut up and sing, Black Christmas... etc...
X amount of tier three titles... Harsh times.. etc..etc..

But for those who say that you can only get blockbuster exclusives from blockbuster....

Buy it from here:
Harsh Times
The Protector
Black Christmas

What is the difference? not much I suppose... besides Blockbuster brands their covers and I hear that DVDs as well with their logo.

So in closing... You can get "exclusive" titles... if you buy them elsewhere...

:)

enjoy this info.

Let me just say this, "Blockbuster Exclusive" means legally you can not rent... I repeat... RENT movies for a store that is not Blockbuster.

I do not offer rental copies of The Protector, Harsh Times, Shut up and Sing, School for Scoundrels, Black Christmas etc etc etc.... But I do offer these titles for retail sales.

How is this determined? I know that Blockbuster (obviously) offers the biggest rental chain in the nation, so they do have leverage, they are contracted to offer X amount of titles throughout the year. in this method.

X amount of tier one titles... The Protector, School for scoundrels.. etc..
X amount of tier two titles... Shut up and sing, Black Christmas... etc...
X amount of tier three titles... Harsh times.. etc..etc..

But for those who say that you can only get blockbuster exclusives from blockbuster....

Buy it from here:
Harsh Times
The Protector
Black Christmas

What is the difference? not much I suppose... besides Blockbuster brands their covers and I hear that DVDs as well with their logo.

So in closing... You can get "exclusive" titles... if you buy them elsewhere...

:)

enjoy this info.

OK, I understand now----RENT is exclusively for blockbuster. You cannot rent any movie from any other store if it is not a rental store.

This is not fair in that blockbuster also sell movies. However, as you say, stores not renting movies have their own exclusives, mostly that they do have first option to secure movies for sale before it goes for rent.

Which is why you have Black Christmas before any rental store does.

FYI, my community must be video crazy. There are 4 video stores and 3 video rental stores within 4 blocks of each other. And they are thriving.
;)

Festival!

Festival Collection is what blockbuster names its special shelf.

the dvd's on this shelf is supposedly exclusive.

Which is why you have Black Christmas before any rental store does.

Black Christmas is not released to the public yet... I simple "Buy" a copy of these movies for my collection..

I said "buy" because I own the shop, so there is no money exchange.. I simply give myself a copy of the movies I want.

The titles Half Nelson and Lies and Alibis both go through AnyDvd/Shrink.

Lies and Alibis don't burn, though.

Maybe AnyDvd/Clonedvd2 can burn it. If anybody tried please let me know. Time to buy Clonedvd2 if it does burn after it.

OOOPS! I forgot to try AnyDvd/Recode2. Please wait. I gotta buy more blank media.

AnyDvd/Recode2 does not back up either. It even failed in the compilation process. You don't need a log of this attempt now, do you?

Last edited:
Black Christmas is not released to the public yet... I simple "Buy" a copy of these movies for my collection..

I said "buy" because I own the shop, so there is no money exchange.. I simply give myself a copy of the movies I want.

Bully for you!

Hey, I sure would like to own a video store, too. If I had your kind of money!
;)

(How much S&H do you charge to ship hard to find titles to me. My addy is listed here)

Last edited:

Maybe I'm not reading this exactly right. You say it hasn't been released to the public yet, but I saw Black Christmas on the shelf at Block Busters last night. Are you saying it has been released for rental, but I can't buy it retail (i.e., Wal-Mart) yet?

its suppose to be exclusive too block buster only

yet netflix has it

Maybe I'm not reading this exactly right. You say it hasn't been released to the public yet, but I saw Black Christmas on the shelf at Block Busters last night. Are you saying it has been released for rental, but I can't buy it retail (i.e., Wal-Mart) yet?

It was released on 4/3/07. Which was days after I said it was not released for the public.

I'll have to check out the blockbuster stores regarding this info, tsquare43.

Perhaps you are in a different country.

Where are you in?

Me? I must be in a DUH country!:doh: I can't find anything around here!

Back