• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CloneDVD vs. CloneCD?

Sithis

Hi,

I want to start backing up my discs (DVD's and CD's -- some of which are copy protected), but I'm not sure whether I need to get CloneDVD or CloneCD, or both. It is not very clear to me what the differences are between the two programs -- for instance, the website says CloneCD supports 1:1 DVD copying -- why then would I need CloneDVD? What does one program do that the other one does not do?

Basically, I want to be able to backup any disc I have, whether it is a regular movie DVD, game DVD or game CD. Aside from backing these up to blank discs, I would also like to have the option to backup the discs directly to the hard drive (including movie DVD's if possible). I realize I will probably also need AnyDVD, but otherwise do I also need CloneDVD or CloneCD to do everything I want?

Thanks in advance... :bowdown:

why then would I need CloneDVD?

Clonedvd's transcoder compresses a commercial sized dvd-9 sized disc (8.5gb) video so that it will fit to a standard dvd-5 (4.7gb) sized disc. Clonecd does not compress anything (so you generally need to buy +R DL media). Clonecd will also retain the original layer break position when using +R DL media, whereas Clonedvd2 will not.

Clonedvd will also not backup pc games or .exe files that may appear as bonus features. Clonecd will.

Clonecd's ripping feature (to the hard drive) does not produce files that will allow you to watch them using most video playback software. Clonedvd2's rip will.

I use Clonecd when I use Verbatim +R DL media to preserve the original layer break position. I use Clonedvd when I use normal single layer media (which is mostly never lately).

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed response! It sounds like I'll need both programs to really do everything I want to do. It would be nice if one program could do it all, though! :)

However, I would like to know, what are the advantages of "preserving the original layer break position" when backing up a DVD? Does this just have to do with player compatibility, or is there another reason?

Last edited:
Back