• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

registry entry: Zepter

steve1942

I notice an entry in my registry entitled Zepter. Checking, it seems as though it was placed there by Anydvd to help contol auto updates. This doesn't bother me much, I just want to verify so I know the reason for the entry.

Last edited:
I notice an entry in my registry entitled Zepter. Checking, it seems as though it was placed there by Anydvd to help contol auto updates. This doesn't bother me much, I just want to verify so I know the reason for the entry.

Anydvd has nothing to do with Zepeter. Maybe you have a virus.

Anydvd has nothing to do with Zepeter.

James, himself, confirmed AnyDVD did create the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zepter Software] key back in April of 2006. I deleted it awhile ago and it never returned [probably because my AnyDVD is registered].

Refer to James' reply at CD Freaks: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1394642&postcount=16

SlySoft said:
This is the intentional, as it is used to keep track of the evaluation period of the unregistered version. Just ignore it.

and/or the whole thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=109902

Webslinger said:
Maybe you have a virus.

Always better safe than sorry. A scan wouldn't be a bad idea but I think the above info most likely explains the key.

Last edited:
James, himself, confirmed AnyDVD did create the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zepter Software] key back in April of 2006. .

Ok fair enough, but that's almost a year ago.

I deleted it awhile ago and it never returned [probably because my AnyDVD is registered]

It never returned because it's not being used anymore:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=11353&postcount=16

and

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=11526&postcount=43

So let me rephrase: Anydvd no longer has anything to do with Zepter.

Last edited:

Thanks for the links. I'll admit they somewhat confuse me, though. The key appears to no longer be used which is good. I'm not sure what exactly James is saying in reply to DetroitBaseball. The wording of the original question somewhat confuses me.

I think, however, if you have AnyDVD installed from awhile ago and just install the updates as they've been released and never uninstalled the key should still be there, right? I manually deleted the key from my registry in probably late 2006 and I've never uninstalled AnyDVD.

Sorry, if I'm adding to any confusion here. A virus scan is always a wise idea.

I'm not sure what exactly James is saying in reply to DetroitBaseball.

I'm pretty sure James is saying Zepter is no longer used. And I know it hasn't been for some time now.

if you have AnyDVD installed from awhile ago and just install the updates as they've been released and never uninstalled the key should still be there

I don't have a definitive answer for you. I was under the impression that Zepter key should no longer be on people's systems, but perhaps I was mistaken. It isn't on my oldest system.

Ok, read the threads. Since I'm registered, it seems as though I can remove the entry. But, it also seems as though the entry is meaningless and not worth the trouble of screwing with the registry. Right?:)

Ok, read the threads. Since I'm registered, it seems as though I can remove the entry. But, it also seems as though the entry is meaningless and not worth the trouble of screwing with the registry. Right?:)

If the entry was created because of an older related Slysoft product, the entry is meaningless and not harmful; in fact, it never was harmful in that instance. If something else unrelated to Slysoft installed that entry, then I have no idea.

Zepter was attacked for being a rootkit before, but whether it was actually a harmful rootkit, I have no idea (it certainly wasn't harmful when it was used a long time ago with Slysoft).

If it's in the location I pointed out in a previous post then I would say it's safe to leave.

It is removeable with Sysinternals RegDelNull as explained in CD Freaks thread I posted before in the event you wished to.

Last edited:
If it's in the location I pointed out in a previous post then I would say it's safe to leave.

It is removeable with Sysinternals RegDelNull as explained in CD Freaks thread I posted before in the event you wished to.

Yea, it's right where you posted. Thanks for the location that let's me remove it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back