• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] Star Trek - File Size Question

psulioninks

Hi, I am a newbie here (just purchased AnyDVD today after 21 day trial).

I read some stickys and FAQs as well as searched for information on this topic, but saw no topic/answer on this, so if there is one, please point me in the right direction and accept my apologies!

I received Star Trek today for my birthday, and was trying to back it up to hard drive when I noticed how huge the file was compared to other discs I have copied (it shows 29596 MB!) and coverts very slowly. However when I look at the summary info listed in the AnyDVD tray icon, it shows 7,655 MB.

At first, I thought it might be because ST is a dual layer disc, but I copied Indiana Jones latest title (which is also a DL disc) and it was only 7515 MB in size (which is what showed on the Copy Disc screen AND the AnyDVD tray icon).

Any ideas on what may be causing this? Why is the conversion so slow, and any idea what the size of my file will be????

Use the built in AnyDVD ripper first.. THEN use your normal backup program on the resulting rip folder to do what you want to do.

Anytime AnyDVD reports "found and removed structural copy protections" you need to do this to be safe. AnyDVD can not truely remove all "structural copy protections" on the fly.
And many backup programs can't deal with the structural crap. The AnyDVD ripper removes all the structural crap for good.

-W

Oh yeah, and a copy of the log if that is any help!

Attachments

• AnyDVD_6.6.0.3_Info_F_STAR_TREK_XI_DOM.zip
    317.6 KB · Views: 5
The correct size on disk of the Main Movie only with AC3-5.1 audio only is 5,492,578,304 bytes as reported by Windows. This presumes no compression at all, just a clean rip.

-W

I think I finally figured out how to rip with AnyDVD (right click of tray icon)...I will try this first and then use it as the source when bringing into My Movies and see if that helps solve the issue.

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

However when I look at the summary info listed in the AnyDVD tray icon, it shows 7,655 MB.

That is the correct size. You can't be using Windows Explorer, and expect that to work with discs containing structural protection. Also Windows Explorer will not report the correct information as you've noticed.

Click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=14199, and take a long hard look at step 3.

Ripping first when AnyDVD to the hard drive and skipping the rip with the internal ripper in MyMovies seems to have solved this.

I can tell you that MyMovies also has an issue with Transformers 2 as well.

It might me helpful to add MyMovies to the list of software in the sticky that discusses the reason for using AnyDVD as the ripper - I would have probably figured this out on my own had it been listed there.

Anyhow, thanks for all the info here everyone, looks like all is good again!

It might me helpful to add MyMovies to the list of software in the sticky

No. Step 3 from the sticky you're supposed to read before posting quite clearly states the following:

"If you're not using Clonedvd, Clonecd, DVD Rebuilder, DVDNextCopy, 1-Click DVD Copy (with CPRx disabled) or programs that can handle structural protections properly, then right-click on the fox icon on your toolbar, and select "Rip video-dvd to Hard Disk".

MyMovies isn't listed there precisely because you need to use "rip video-dvd to harddisk" with dvds containing structural protection.

Furthermore, the title of the other sticky is entitled "Movies that may require AnyDVD ripper if you're not using CloneDVD and CloneCD"

Are you using Clonedvd or Clonecd?

I can tell you that MyMovies also has an issue with Transformers 2 as well.

Obviously
click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=3992

Last edited:
It might me helpful to add MyMovies to the list of software in the sticky that discusses the reason for using AnyDVD as the ripper - I would have probably figured this out on my own had it been listed there.

I might agree here.
At the time that was typed, DVDShrink was overwhelmingly the premier DVD manipulator / ripping software. MyMovies has a good deal of market penetration now, and outta make the short list of programs that need the AnyDVD ripper.

-W

You're using the "exclusive lists" as a basis for your position.

Many of the stickies (including the one you linked to this thread) have an "inclusive list" that names the programs most likely to need the AnyDVD ripper - not the ones that don't. MyMovies now rises to that level is all.

-W

-W

Last edited:
You're using the "exclusive lists" as a basis for your position.

Many of the stickies (including the one you linked to this thread) have an "inclusive list" that names the programs most likely to need the AnyDVD ripper - not the ones that don't.

"Many"??? Where are these many stickies that claim what you state?

I see one sticky in particular--and the title of that thread is called "Movies that may require AnyDVD ripper if you're not using CloneDVD and CloneCD".

Noted--and rejected . . .
except, I'll add this line, so that it's duplicated in more than one place:

"If you're not using Clonedvd, Clonecd, DVD Rebuilder, DVDNextCopy, 1-Click DVD Copy (with CPRx disabled) or programs that can handle structural protections properly, then right-click on the fox icon on your toolbar, and select "Rip video-dvd to Hard Disk".

Last edited:
Last time I checked MyMovies wasn't called Clonedvd or Clonecd.

OK, I don't know why you have to present such an attitude about this...

The point is this, had I UNDERSTOOD the meaning behind the problem I would have found this a lot sooner, and frankly, when I read #3, I didn't see the word NOT and thought JUST those programs were at fault.

If it were written to include programs that are culprits with this issue, then my query for "MyMovies" would have lead me to that sticky and may have resulted in me figuring out what the problem was.

Geeesshhhh!!!!!!!

I didn't see the word NOT and thought JUST those programs were at fault.

Well, I am certainly not responsible for errors in reading.

If it were written to include programs that are culprits with this issue, then my query for "MyMovies" would have lead me to that sticky and may have resulted in me figuring out what the problem was.

It's far easier to list programs that do not require "rip video-dvd to harddisk" than those that do. I will not list every known program. Not happening (and no; I don't care how popular a program is)
While not exactly the same, that request is not unlike someone asking me to list every dvd that Anydvd handles.

I will not be responding further on this subject.

Last edited:
I must belong to just under a dozen forums, but this one takes the prize - unbelievable!

Thanks for your help and input Clams

That's all fine... I just agree with the OP that with the exponential rise of the use of MyMovies over the past year (and the resulting newbie questions) that naming it out loud next to DVDShrink and Nero Recode for programs that need the AnyDVD ripper can't possibly hurt and can only help cut down on on newbie issues - with no apparant downside.

This is one of those cases where you really can "have it both ways" for overall ease of imparting clues.

-W

Last edited:
Well, I am certainly not responsible for errors in reading.

It's far easier to list programs that do not require "rip video-dvd to harddisk" than those that do. I will not list every known program. Not happening (and no; I don't care how popular a program is)
While not exactly the same, that request is not unlike someone asking me to list every dvd that Anydvd handles.

I will not be responding further on this subject.
I don't think you mean "or programs that generally CAN'T handle structural protections properly" in a sentence that starts "If you are NOT using CloneDVD" - you mean "or programs that generally CAN handle" etc. (like CloneDvd does).

I don't think you mean "or programs that generally CAN'T handle structural protections properly" in a sentence that starts "If you are NOT using CloneDVD" - you mean "or programs that generally CAN handle" etc. (like CloneDvd does).

Brutal . . . You're correct.

I meant to write, originally, "If you're not using Clonedvd, Clonecd, DVD Rebuilder, DVDNextCopy, 1-Click DVD Copy (with CPRx disabled), etc.--or are otherwise using programs that generally can't handle structural protections properly--then right-click on the fox icon on your toolbar, and select "Rip video-dvd to Hard Disk".

But your phrasing is less confusing. Thank you for pointing this out. I think I will also remove "generally".

Last edited:
Brutal . . . You're correct.

I meant to write, originally, "If you're not using Clonedvd, Clonecd, DVD Rebuilder, DVDNextCopy, 1-Click DVD Copy (with CPRx disabled)--or are using programs that generally can't handle structural protections properly--then right-click on the fox icon on your toolbar, and select "Rip video-dvd to Hard Disk".

But your phrasing is less confusing.
I would even leave out that entire second phrase and just stop at "(with CPRx disabled)" - most users wouldn't have a clue what other programs might handle structural protection properly and assume that they do. DvdShrink says it does and might be assumed to be ok (up to a certain point it does but not for most newer stuff).

CloneDvdMobile doesn't seem to either, ironically, for some titles - you still need to use the ripper.

I would even leave out that entire second phrase and just stop at "(with CPRx disabled)" - most users wouldn't have a clue what other programs might handle structural protection properly and assume that they do.

Yeah, o.k., you have a point. I just wanted to leave room for myself in the event there are other programs that do handle structural protections properly. I've made the changes.

DvdShrink says it does

It doesn't. The final version actually adheres (relatively) strictly to the dvd-video standard.

CloneDvdMobile doesn't seem to either

You are correct.

I don't even want to discuss Clonedvd mobile.

Last edited:
Back