• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Copying 1:1 DVD with CloneCD

violator

I do not compress my DVD copies.

I'd like to know how can I know if the copy's gonna need a DVD-5 or a DVD-9? Within CloneDVD2, it's easy with the % quality bar. What about CloneCD?

Thanks.

Thanks for your link, but it doesn't answer my question.

My mistake. In clonecd the source size must equal the destination size. And in Clonecd, there is no feature that lists that information for you. Most commercial movies require dvd-9s. The blank to use, therefore, should be Verbatim+R DL.

Last edited:
My mistake. In clonecd the source size must equal the destination size. And in Clonecd, there is no feature that lists that information for you. Most commercial movies require dvd-9s. The blank to use, therefore, should be Verbatim+R DL.

Thanks.

I have 2 more questions for you :)

1) I burned ~ 300 Memorex+R DL. Only got 2 errors with them. I bought 100 Verbatim+R DL lately, and on 40 I tried, I got about 17 defect. My burner's a LG. I will try to update my firmware and see, but it's doing the same thing on my 2nd computer which use a Sony DVD writer.

2) Why do you recommend ripping to HD first? I cloned about 30 DVD today (with both CloneDVD and CloneCD) "on the fly" and I tested them all thoroughly, and everything's perfect. I'm not using my computer while it's copying, and both writers are on their own IDE channel.

1) I burned ~ 300 Memorex+R DL. Only got 2 errors with them. I bought 100 Verbatim+R DL lately, and on 40 I tried, I got about 17 defect. My burner's a LG. I will try to update my firmware and see, but it's doing the same thing on my 2nd computer which use a Sony DVD writer.

That is freakishly bizarre. Verbatim+R DL is well known as the best +R DL blank media, and burner companies will often use Verbatim as its reference DL disc (for testing). But use whatever works for you . . .

2) Why do you recommend ripping to HD first? I cloned about 30 DVD today (with both CloneDVD and CloneCD) "on the fly" and I tested them all thoroughly

Using what testing method?

I generally don't recommend people burning on the fly because they may be trying to do it at 16x or higher (or up to 10x or so with double layer media), which promotes the buffer underrun protection of the burner being used. The discs may work when that happens, but, I often see bad pi/po scans. If you aren't burning really fast on the fly, then there's less chance of an issue.

I do burn on the fly from time to time (not always though; it depends on if I'm also playing games).

I'm not using my computer while it's copying, and both writers are on their own IDE channel.

You might be fine then. As long as the writer and the source are on separate channels . . .

Last edited:
DVD Size

Thanks for your link, but it doesn't answer my question.

When I copy a movie, I want to know if the original disc is a DVD-5 or a DVD-9. With CloneDVD2, it's easy to know with the quality bar %. But with CloneCD, I can't find any hint that will tell me whether to use a DVD-5 or a DVD-9.

You didn't say you were using AnyDVD, but I am assuming you are to remove the copy protection. If so, AnyDVD will give you the total files size of the original which will tell you what size disc to use.

Last edited:
I'd like to know how can I know if the copy's gonna need a DVD-5 or a DVD-9
i thought the easiest way is to pick up and look on the back of the dvd case:
it normally says (ok...it's usually small text) DVD-5 or DVD-9/DUAL-LAYER FORMAT:agree:

Back